Racing static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg51s

Hello,
I purchased a BC 72 to scan the NASCAR race this past weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. Some driver, crew chief and spotter communications were clear. But with some drivers, I could hear the spotter and crew chief just fine, but I could not hear the driver. After the crew would stop talking, giving the driver time to respond, what I assume was the driver talking came across as an awful sound. I noticed this with drivers on different teams, such as Jeff Burton, Kasey Kahne, and Carl Edwards. But, some drivers were just find. I did not use a stubby antenna. Would a stubby antenna correct this problem, or should I get another scanner? Thanks to anyone that could offer some advice.

mrova

I'm gonna take a stab and say, yes, the stubby would have made a difference. And, at your next race, be sure to get the frequency for the MRN radio feed. You'll be picking up their live on-air/off-air coverage and those guys are a hoot to listen to during the commercials. I'd venture to say that you'll enjoy them more than the drivers and crew!
sv

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I'd say no. From my experience some radios in some race cars just sound awful. The car i work on is like that. Sounds fine when the car is off, but when the motor is running the radio transmission from it isnt the easiest to understand sometimes. Havnet figured it out yet.

blinddog50

A lot of things could come into play as the cause of crappy comms from a particular driver.
One thing to consider is there is not a lot of shielding as far as wiring goes.
Someone may have stripped a wire a little more than necessary.
Noise blanker not switched on.
Position of mic inside of helmet.
These guys are car mechanics, not radio techs.
Next week it will probably be another set of drivers with comm problems.
The fault is theirs, not yours.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Well, the drivers microphone is right in front of his lips, inside the helmet. You also have to factor in the noise from the car as well. Static could happen if the car is on the far side of the track as well (super speedways and road courses are the worse). What is ideal, is a scanner that does CTCSS/DPL, that way you can run a better antenna and not have to hear all the intermod.

Status
Not open for further replies.