First nascar race ---> Michigan 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donchurch

Premium Subscriber
Attending my first nascar race at the end of the month in Michigan, bought a used nascar kit, with 2 headphones, with a intercom between them. It also came with an old RadioShack pro 74 "race scanner".

My question is that is this scanner suitable to bring to the track? I've read frequency lists for the drivers, and they appear to use just regular frequencies, as does the media links from what I can tell. But now I also see some comments about digital stuff at Michigan.

I do also have a 396xt digital scanner.

What's the opinion on what I need to bring and scan? Looking for opinions!

Thanks very much...

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have been to 5 races so far this year and heading to Richmond in September. What you got will work ideal for the track. Unless you want to monitor local public safety I wouldn't bring your digital scanner. From what i have found so far is most of the tracks use TRBO for all on site communications now so you can really only hear the drivers and pubic safety (outside the track). I have not picked up a new DMR scanner but in talking to folks i am guessing 99% of the TRBO systems are encrypted anyway as its a pretty simple task in the radio. I may be wrong but that is what i have been told.

We camp on site so listening to local stuff pass's the time during the rain delays !

Enjoy !

DPD1

I believe my friend uses a similar setup with his son, and he says it's great. I've never gone myself, but he always seems to have a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.