NASCAR going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

NASCAR will be going digital as of the Atlanta race. All comms will be digital except for 2 channels that teams are required to monitor 1: Race Control 2: Safety
Per a NASCAR official, no scanner will pick up the digital comms. So it sounds like they are going NEXTEL with a patch to analog for the teams.

V

yaesumofo

If I were a card carrying nascar freak I would be jumping up and down screamming about this....UNless it is a play top sell a whole new class of scanners to the nascar public.
When you watch those races there are 1000's of scanner listeners there. doesn't that represent a loss of cash flow for sombody if they go digital? What about all those people who subscribe to online audio feeds?
Yaesumofo

Viper43 said:
NASCAR will be going digital as of the Atlanta race. All comms will be digital except for 2 channels that teams are required to monitor 1: Race Control 2: Safety
Per a NASCAR official, no scanner will pick up the digital comms. So it sounds like they are going NEXTEL with a patch to analog for the teams.

V

yaesumofo

What is the source for this information?
I can't confirm this.
Why would they do this?
Yaesumofo

Viper43 said:

V

firetaz834

I would think that if this info is true, then some of the radio manufactures would be hopping mad. Was doing a search for more info on this story and came accross and ad by Amazon selling a scanner preprogrammed with Nascar (but it is not a digital scanner) selling for around $200.00. Think of the loss of income for Uniden if this is a true issue. Thinking 1000's of fans time $200.00 a pop. That is a big income loss for them. But, time will tell

nslt204

It would be nice to see a press release on this. NASCAR talked of this a number of years ago with moving all including teams to IDEN. It died on the vine quickly.
Wondering if this is a incarnation of a very old new blip from the past?
NASCAR can't afford to push anyone away at a time of dropping attendance and falling TV market share

gatorhater

Way to go NASCAR! A great way to anger your fans who Pay for tickets to attend your races.
At this rate, it won't be long until they come up with a scheme to PPV for some of the races. Greed is Not good.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
The "Car of Tomorrow"....
The "Chase for the Cup"....
Racing in California Labor Day Weekend....
Races starting at 3:30 in the afternoon.....
The "Lucky Dog"...
Green, white, checkered finishes...
A Petty hasn't won since 1996....
"Boogity, Boogity, Boogity boys, let's go racin"..... (I have always liked Darrell Waltrip but I cannot STAND THAT!!)

Mike Helton has messed with everything else on his watch as President of NA$CAR and now that Brian France is doing his little bit to wreck stock racing it only makes sense.

Hopefully MA-Com bought the naming rights to the Hollywood Hotel too and they will start broadcasting that jib-jab in OpenSky and since my TV won't do OpenSky I won't have to listen to Chris Meyers any more! :twisted:

ButchGone

well now...

What are thousands of race fans going to do, after they bought scanners to hear their drivers at the tracks and from scanner dealers? Oh, I get it..."rent" radios capable of hearing their driver of choice at the races for a "nominal fee." How nice!
..BG

Don_Burke

It appears the OP said the officials were going digital.

Since the teams are provided with analog Race Control and Safety channels, I suspect team communications will not be changed to digital.

ROCKnTIME

The answer

It’s all about money!! NASCAR like all sports is the opiate of the masses!! Wake up people!!

mikeh

very bad move NASCAR

very bad move NASCAR one of this sports
is let the fans join in .
this will hurt the sport big time.

HAY Nascar BAD BAD move this cut down your fan base.

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Skud said:
I have done searching and have found nothing including from Nascar or Jayski's website. so I would too like to know where he got this info.

Now on the other end, it may be a $ factor as with their track pass you can listen to the officals online. Forcing you to pay to listen to them
http://www.nascar.com/trackpass/landing/index.html?mc=2331
I think this is a B.S story heard nothing of this anywhere and no new licensing issued that i am aware of..

n0lqt

Of course, the un-named "NASCAR Official" may also think SCANNERS are those little boxes with funny red lights that run back and forth on the front. They may never have even heard of APCO-25 digital other than from the Sales Rep that sold them the new gear telling them how much more secure it was....

stmills

Could it be they are switching to Nextels? I did a quick scan of Licenses to see if NASCAR had a license for digital/p25 but couldn/t find one. Are the freq's listed on rr-wiki for NASCAR officals the most current cause the licenses I could find that match them was terminated in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.