City of Chicago Police/Fire Scanner Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Windows Media Player (more formats to come)
Monitors Police/Fire
List of frequencies monitored listed on the site.
24x7 coverage except for an occasional reboot (off peak hours)
Live chat window
No registration or fees

http://www.chicagoscanner.com

Any feedback, comments or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
New Features Added to Chicago Scanner

New features added to http://www.chicagoscanner.com

iTunes/Winamp compatibility
Embedded Shoutcast web player (Flash)
How to stream to your iPhone using a FREE app from the iTunes store
Full list of Chicago Police/Fire frequencies using the Radio Reference API
Chicago Air Show videos

ICP963

Feed Provider
New features added to http://www.chicagoscanner.com

iTunes/Winamp compatibility
Embedded Shoutcast web player (Flash)
How to stream to your iPhone using a FREE app from the iTunes store
Full list of Chicago Police/Fire frequencies using the Radio Reference API
Chicago Air Show videos

Your audio sounds great, but alpha tags would make it much easier to know what you are listening to,

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback!

Roy-

Thanks for the feedback!

I searched the forums for information about adding the alpha tags and it looks like I'll need the following to do it:

-Uniden scanner
-Serproxy
-Talkgroup Monitor

If you have additional information that might be helpful in configuring this setup, please pass it along.

I'm running the following:

1) Simplecast/Icecast for the m3u (mp3) stream
2) Windows Media Encoder for the mms:// Windows Media stream (prefer the sound quality)
3) Shoutcast DNAS app and Winamp for the Shoutcast stream.

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
I searched the forums for information about adding the alpha tags and it looks like I'll need the following to do it:

-Uniden scanner
-Serproxy
-Talkgroup Monitor

If you have additional information that might be helpful in configuring this setup, please pass it along.

I'm running the following:

1) Simplecast/Icecast for the m3u (mp3) stream
2) Windows Media Encoder for the mms:// Windows Media stream (prefer the sound quality)
3) Shoutcast DNAS app and Winamp for the Shoutcast stream.
What you listed as being needed is correct.

You won't be able to use Talkgroup Monitor to add the alpha tags to the Windows Media Encoder stream, Talkgroup Monitor only knows how to send the tags to SimpleCast for it to embed into the audio it is encoding and how to send the alpha tags directly to the Icecast server.

You can get Talkgroup Monitor from http://www.scanamerica.us/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=10001 The setup package includes serproxy, you don't need to download it separately.

-- Gordon (Talkgroup Monitor author)

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Couple of additional questions..

Thanks for the info!

By the way, your site ScanAmerica.us is AWESOME!

A couple of quick questions:

1) Are there any low cost sub $200 Uniden scanners you would recommend to use for the Alpha Tag setup?
2) Have you had any experience with ProScan software http://www.proscan.org/ ? If so, would you recommend it?

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Thanks for the info!

By the way, your site ScanAmerica.us is AWESOME!
Thanks!

1) Are there any low cost sub $200 Uniden scanners you would recommend to use for the Alpha Tag setup?

I prefer the Uniden 246T but it's around $220. The Uniden BC95xlt ($130) should work too if you don't need a TrunkTracker capable scanner.

2) Have you had any experience with ProScan software http://www.proscan.org/ ? If so, would you recommend it?
I've never tried it, I know a lot of people use it though. One disadvantage it has is that people must download and install special software in order to listen to ProScan feeds, providing a feed via a SHOUTcast or Icecast server allows people to listen with many types of players like Windows Media Player, iTunes, as well as listen via smartphones.

autovon

Ø
Sounds great!

My only criticism is that it doesn't sound like the delay is turned on on the channels. Makes it kind of hard to follow what is happening.

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Gordon - It looks like the Uniden 246T is the better option for me. It has a broader frequency range and looks like it includes the milair ranges. This will come in handy since I'm planning to setup a stream to cover next year's Chicago Air Show.

Thanks for the info on ProScan. I think I'll try to get the tags going through the Icecast server with your setup package first.

autovon- I'll see what I can do about adding more delay. These channels are very busy all the time and it does get hard to follow.

Thanks guys!

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Feed sounds good. I can recommend Pro Scan if you are interested. The recent improvements to it have made it better than it's ever been. There is a local person here in MA that uses it for a Metro Boston area feed, and it works superb. No cutting out, locking up, freezing, etc.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I'll agree, you should set the delay to about atleast 2 secs. if any.

The 246T does not include the MilAir band nor does it have digital capabilities, otherwise it's a great little radio.

Would think however, that you wouldn't be able to put all the Chicago area in that radio, but you certainly could put it to good use.

Nice sounding feed btw, if you do look at getting the alpha tags, it'd be a nice touch for your area.

Keep up the great sounding feed.

Gordon - It looks like the Uniden 246T is the better option for me. It has a broader frequency range and looks like it includes the milair ranges. This will come in handy since I'm planning to setup a stream to cover next year's Chicago Air Show.

Thanks for the info on ProScan. I think I'll try to get the tags going through the Icecast server with your setup package first.

autovon- I'll see what I can do about adding more delay. These channels are very busy all the time and it does get hard to follow.

Thanks guys!

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Junior08 - thanks for the Pro Scan recommendation. I'll look into it.

IdleMonitor - Delay to at least 2 secs - I've added the delay to the Fire frequencies and will add it to the rest of the frequencies on your recommendation. Thanks.

246T does not include the MilAir band - thanks for pointing that out. I misread the coverage ranges.

Alpha tags - I'm hoping to have this functionality configured and ready in approximately 3-6 weeks.
Thanks for all the help and recommendations.

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Your feed sounds great using an iPod touch and the Tuner Internet Radio application. Keep up the great work.

Thanks! There is another iPhone app that I found on the app store called FStream [FREE] which also works well for mms and m3u streams.

bigskybuff

Premium Subscriber
Election Night Connectivity

If you tuned in to Chicago Scanner on election night and were not able to connect to a stream, we apologize for the inconvenience. We experienced more visitors than we ever anticipated and the audio streams were at full capacity pushing our server to the limits.

Since this happened, we've made accommodations to use a hosted streaming environment that can support many more users than our server could ever handle. We will be using this service for upcoming events that take place in and around Chicago.

Thank you for your continued support.

Steve
Chicago Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.