Feedback and Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocop80

Hello All,

I am new to broadcasting the scanner online but I think its a great idea and I have enjoyed listening to some of the others that are posted. I put my scanner online (BCD-996t) this morning before I went to work and I wanted to test it out today when I got in the office to see how it sounds. The scanner sounds horrible and I don't know what could be the cause of the scanner sounding so horribly. I am thinking that I might have the volume up to loud on the scanner itself and I cant fix it until I get home. I wanted to see if someone who has done this before can offer some advice to help me getting this scanner audio clear. I have the audio feed in Middlesex County New Jersey (North Brunswick, South Brunswick and New Brunswick) please let me know your suggestions. I am being very impatient since I can't go home and turn the volume down but I am hoping that someone can confirm that this is the issue they "think" based on your knowledge.

Thanks,

James

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Hello All,

I am new to broadcasting the scanner online but I think its a great idea and I have enjoyed listening to some of the others that are posted. I put my scanner online (BCD-996t) this morning before I went to work and I wanted to test it out today when I got in the office to see how it sounds. The scanner sounds horrible and I don't know what could be the cause of the scanner sounding so horribly. I am thinking that I might have the volume up to loud on the scanner itself and I cant fix it until I get home. I wanted to see if someone who has done this before can offer some advice to help me getting this scanner audio clear. I have the audio feed in Middlesex County New Jersey (North Brunswick, South Brunswick and New Brunswick) please let me know your suggestions. I am being very impatient since I can't go home and turn the volume down but I am hoping that someone can confirm that this is the issue they "think" based on your knowledge.

Thanks,

James

If you are using oddcast, then the volume slider should be set about half way, and the volume should be set about half way on your scanner as well. You can experiment around with this to get it how you like it, but I found that the volume on both set to half is faily good. You can also try a different bitrate. 16 kbps is the standard but you can try 24 or 32 kbps, but the higher the bitrate, the more processing power it requires. Hope this helps! :)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Definitely your volume is your primary [and perhaps only] issue.

Recommendation #1

If you typically have computer access from work, you should consider doing this after you go home:

A. Go to http://www.logmein.com
- create an acccount

B. Install the Free LoginMeIn on your feed machine.

Then, you can access your PC remotely from anywhere simply by logging into http://www.logmein.com using a web browser (IE works best).

That way you'd be able to manage things while you are away if you need be. With this type of access I'm sure you could find it very convenient for many reasons.

Recommendation #2

For both of my feeds I use the headphone jack on the scanner. I have found that setting the scanner audio level itself _low_ works very well. Much easier to adjust volume up/down remotely this way. Plus, you'll never push so much audio in that it would cause what you have now - distortion and clipping.

Summary: Install LogMeIn - you'll love it. Then set the volume on the scanner low and use the audio mixer app on your computer to adjust the Line-In (or mic-in, whichever you use) audio to the right level in the Advanced / Recording section.

mike

robocop80

Thank You

Thanks to both of you I really appreciate the suggestions. I have turned the volume down on the scanner and I think that has fixed the problem. I do like that logmein.com suggestion and I am creating me an account tonight thanks a lot for that info. If you happen to get a chance please come back and let me know how the feed sounds now. From what I can tell I think I am cooking with gas. ;-)

Thanks Again,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.