Urgent! Can I use a microphone port instead of a line-in port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I am planning on applying to broadcast a feed, but the computer that I would be using does not have a line-in port that I know of. Can I use the microphone port?
I will be leaving town in two days and I need to know before then! Please help!!!!!
Thank you in advance!
Dan

NYRHKY94

I use the Mic-In for one of my feeds and it works OK. I prefer to use Line-In and agree with others who say that Line-In is the optimal method. However, as long as you disable Mic boost under sound properties, you should be OK with the Mic-In. Just adjust the volume slider and make sure it sounds OK to you.

XTS3000

Keep in mind that the mic input on a PC output voltage that powers the electric condenser microphone. When I use the mic input for anything other than a PC mic, I put a capacitor to block the DC voltage from feeding into the scanner or what ever else I use the mic input for.

N

N_Jay

Keep in mind that the mic input on a PC output voltage that powers the electric condenser microphone. When I use the mic input for anything other than a PC mic, I put a capacitor to block the DC voltage from feeding into the scanner or what ever else I use the mic input for.

The mic input on most PCs are designed for a dynamic element and do not have bias or "Phantom" power.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
...as long as you disable Mic boost under sound properties, you should be OK with the Mic-In. Just adjust the volume slider and make sure it sounds OK to you.

X2

I am using the front mic port and it works fine. I had to fine tune it and make sure the microphone boost was disabled as it was causing issues with the feed (overpowering it and dropping the connection).

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all your help!
I think I will go on and set up the feed.

Thayne

If it overloads, it is fairly easy to make an attenuator out of a couple of resistors and build it right into the connecting cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.