Do you host a feed here on RR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
If so, have you ever thought about taking the next step and embedding your feed into a personalized website? The advantage to having your own website with the feed that you host is that members of your community are more likely to listen! I get letters all the time from citizens, officers wives, off duty LEOS and more about how much they appreciate the feeds.

Right now for a limited time, I am offering to build a FREE site for the first 2 people that contact me. The site will be completely custom and built either to YOUR specifications (or mine if you'd rather) I guarantee an amazing final product. You will be responsible for paying hosting and domain (usually around $30 for a whole year) Your website will even come with custom email addresses! I'M am doing this for FREE because I am looking to add to my portfolio. A very basic scanner feed site that I built is FLAGscanner.com | Flagstaff area scanner streaming audio check it out.

other similar sites are:

Live Big Bear Scanner
Scan Riverside : Scanner Frequencies and Resources for Riverside County
BerksLive.com - Home
Bay County LIVE Scanner Feed
Greater Providence Live Scanner - scanri.net

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm. I just moved my Boston EMS feed to Radio Reference from Boston EMS-An Unofficial Site and was able to use the same embedded player to carry the audio. The benefit? Radio Reference has streaming audio servers and the infrastructure to support more than the limited connections (20-50 depending on setup) that streaming directly to your own site has. Radio Reference technically pays me about $30 a year to do this, as they give me a free premium subscription for being a feed provider.....I really don't see your advantage.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm. I just moved my Boston EMS feed to Radio Reference from Boston EMS-An Unofficial Site and was able to use the same embedded player to carry the audio. The benefit? Radio Reference has streaming audio servers and the infrastructure to support more than the limited connections (20-50 depending on setup) that streaming directly to your own site has. Radio Reference technically pays me about $30 a year to do this, as they give me a free premium subscription for being a feed provider.....I really don't see your advantage.

Your feed would still remain on the RR site and so would your premium membership. I dont think you understand what it is I am offering. The feeds on the personal site would mirror to RR. In fact, if someone is listening to the feed from your site it would still show the listener on RR.

The advantage is members of your community would go to your page instead of of RR. On your page, you can discuss community issues, have a forum, list audio clips of major incidents etc.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Basically, you're saying that you found a way to circumvent RadioReference's decision to NOT ALLOW people to stream from RR servers to their own sites:

http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-broadcasting-forum/149351-audio-link-other-sites.html

The links constantly change, which makes most players ineffective, but looking at your site, it appears that you use the old scanamerica.us embed code for your players-although Scan America allowed this, it's pretty clear in the above referenced topic that Radio Reference does not-at least as of right now. If the feed is new at Radio Reference, it will not work.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Its been working for 2 years now. If RR doesnt allow this than why on my feed detail here at RR does an icon appear showing I have a site with these feeds on them? If indeed RR wont allow this than they have a large number of people who will be a bit peeved I'm sure. I'd resort to taking all of mine down unfortunately.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Its been working for 2 years now. If RR doesnt allow this than why on my feed detail here at RR does an icon appear showing I have a site with these feeds on them? If indeed RR wont allow this than they have a large number of people who will be a bit peeved I'm sure. I'd resort to taking all of mine down unfortunately.

Like I said, you're using the Scan America embed code. It won't work for a new radio Reference feed, but it will for any feed that was on Scan America prior to the changeover. The icon showing the site is information that YOU provided-there's one on my Boston EMS feed information page as well. Based on Lindsay's statement:

For right now we aren't planning to release an embeded player on remote sites until we can better understand the impact on RR.
Thanks,

I'd say that it's not gonna be possible for a while, as that statement was made on July 2nd and hasn't been acted upon yet.

brandon

Database Admin
Just so I'm clear we are not allowed to have the feeds embedded on our site?
What about using third party flash media players? For example I have an embedded player on my site which links to my 5 feeds via the playlist.xspf format. I also put a link so people know the feeds are provided by RR.
I just want to make sure that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes :)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Just so I'm clear we are not allowed to have the feeds embedded on our site?
What about using third party flash media players? For example I have an embedded player on my site which links to my 5 feeds via the playlist.xspf format. I also put a link so people know the feeds are provided by RR.
I just want to make sure that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes :)

As best I can tell, if your feed started at Scan America and you're using the embed code that they provided there isn't an issue (or maybe there wasn't before this thread started). I moved my Boston EMS feed here to 1) share it with a larger audience and 2) be able to embed the player on my Boston EMS site. Once I brought the feed online here and tweaked the audio settings to get it sounding right, I went looking for the embed code (since I had the Providence Fire feed at Scan America I figured that everything was the same) and found the above referenced thread. I'd like to think that the powers that be would understand that many of the Scan America people did mirror the feed to their site, and as they added feeds, they would want to do the same.

scanri

ScanRI.net

Do you host a feed here on RR?
If so, have you ever thought about taking the next step and embedding your feed into a personalized website? The advantage to having your own website with the feed that you host is that members of your community are more likely to listen! I get letters all the time from citizens, officers wives, off duty LEOS and more about how much they appreciate the feeds.

Right now for a limited time, I am offering to build a FREE site for the first 2 people that contact me. The site will be completely custom and built either to YOUR specifications (or mine if you'd rather) I guarantee an amazing final product. You will be responsible for paying hosting and domain (usually around $30 for a whole year) Your website will even come with custom email addresses! I'M am doing this for FREE because I am looking to add to my portfolio. A very basic scanner feed site that I built is FLAGscanner.com | Flagstaff area scanner streaming audio check it out.

other similar sites are:

Live Big Bear Scanner
Scan Riverside : Scanner Frequencies and Resources for Riverside County
BerksLive.com - Home
Bay County LIVE Scanner Feed
Greater Providence Live Scanner - scanri.net

Live Police/Fire/EMS feeds from Flagstaff, AZ
www.flagscanner.com

Just an FYI ScanRI.net was created by me and not by this guy. This thread seems to say that the author designed my site. He did not. ScanRI has not affiliation with this web service.

Ken
owner - scanri.net

Last edited:

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI ScanRI.net was created by me and not by this guy. This thread seems to say that the author designed my site. He did not. ScanRI has not affiliation with this web service.

Ken
owner - scanri.net

pardon the implication. The links I listed are NOT by me.... They are EXAMPLES of similar sites. The only site I have built that has feeds embedded in it is FLAGscanner.com | Flagstaff area scanner streaming audio and APSN | Arizona Public Safety News Network |

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.