Trouble with Multiple instances of ScannerCast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacaskie

I am trying to get 8 feeds up and running to broadcast to RR, also was hoping to have some sent to an icecast server to give folks in my fire dept a direct link for listening from their cell phone.

I have just completed the hardware upgrade (new usb pci card and powered hubs) that will allow me to have the 8 RR feeds. i was trying to test it by using my icecast server. it all works fine with 2 or 3 feeds but once i hit 4 or 5 things start to stop showing up on the server and then if i start a 6th version it locks up that instance of scannercast. i am using a batch file to start each instance with an ini file.

I my cpu is only at 20%, still have plenty of memory left per Task Manager...

any ideas on how to get up to my current goal of 8, and then the dream of 12?

thanks
Dan

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
ScannerCast ScannerCast ScannerCast ....

I am trying to get 8 feeds up and running to broadcast to RR, also was hoping to have some sent to an icecast server to give folks in my fire dept a direct link for listening from their cell phone.
I am running multiple instances of ScannerCast on multiple PCs with no problems. All my PCs are running XP Pro with the latest .NET drivers loaded (and latest service packs/etc).

Each of my installations has a different assortment of sound cards, but I am typically using serveral $1 USB sound cards from eBay (Hong Kong). ANY problems I have had have been related to the sound cards, mostly because they are identical.

I have just completed the hardware upgrade (new usb pci card and powered hubs) that will allow me to have the 8 RR feeds. i was trying to test it by using my icecast server. it all works fine with 2 or 3 feeds but once i hit 4 or 5 things start to stop showing up on the server and then if i start a 6th version it locks up that instance of scannercast. i am using a batch file to start each instance with an ini file.
The batch file may or may not be your problem. What I did in all cases is create a desktop shortcut for each instance of ScannerCast. Each instance also has its own unique .ini file. I dragged a COPY of these shortcuts into a StartUp directory so the program automatically starts on system reboot. But I can kill any instance, and then restart it with the desktop shortcut.

On one machine I have 8 instances running with two of them feeding RR and the that same audio feeding two other instances. There are obviously 4 other audio sources for 4 other instances.

The machines I am using for streaming are not being used for anything else (no email, no web browser, etc), but do have other related (audio) programs running. I have tons of CPU time left over, and expect to be able to double the number of streams with no issues (other than more sound cards need to be installed).

Status
Not open for further replies.