Noise in my feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmedic

Feed Provider
I just started a feed and am having problems with some noise that I can't find the cause of. I think it may be caused by my wireless router being too close to the scanner. I am in the process of finding a longer cord to seperate the scanner from the router but thought maybe one of you experts could listen and see if you can tell what I should do. Thank you!

EMTLJB

which feed is yours? a link would be uber helpful!

**edit**
Disregard the above.
Would you look at that? Simply clicking on your 'feed provider' icon brings me right to your feed. Who would have thought?

Last edited:

woodmedic

Feed Provider
There is a very quiet hissing in the background when no one is talking. I think it is because I had to use the mix input. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get line in to work.

Tweekerbob

Can't get LINE-IN to work at all or just can't get the levels right? Perhaps maybe try a USB or install another PCI soundcard?

I use an 8 to 1k Ohm transformer to match the speaker out on my scanner to line level impedance. This presents a much happier load to the audio output transistor in the scanner and provides excellent volume level response all the way around. It seems strange that you would get no action from the line level input on your soundcard.

p.s. I have a low level hiss on my feed and it's caused by some weak solder joints on that transformer. I've just been too busy (read: lazy) to fix it. Could be caused by weak connections...check or replace your cables, and check the fit of all audio cable connections.

talkpair

The feed sounds good to me as well........Zero background hum.....even at full volume.

I think the wishy-washy sound you hear during a pause in the transmission, is just the software making it's best-effort at encoding the low-level hiss you would normally hear directly from the radio speaker.

You MIGHT be able to improve it by playing with the bit rate and sample rate, but personally, I'd leave it alone...I do know that a 8K bit rate, and 8K sample rate sounds horrible, compared to the 16/22 combination you are currently using. Increasing these settings will use more of your bandwidth and processor load on the computer.......the trade off isn't worth it. Keep in mind that by keeping your bit rate low, it conserves everyone's bandwidth. While this may seem minor, it could make the difference between a dialup user being able to listen to your stream, or being left out.

As far as your Line Input jacks go.........look for a mute box or button on the mixer, and make sure it's properly set/unset.......Unless you have a specific reason for using the Line-Input jack instead of the Mic jack, I would leave it alone.......The scanner I have simply doesn't have enough drive to utilize the Line-Input jacks on my computer. This only becomes an issue if you want to add a 2nd radio to the same feed and provide a left / right stereo feed.

Good Luck !

woodmedic

Feed Provider
Thanks for all of the replys! After much tinkering, I was able to get the line in to work on my computer. I also got everything dialed in the best I could. I am pretty satisfied with the results now. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.