Free SW can recognize any sound & also has precise freq measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

digproc

AudioZorb is free software that can recognize and react to any sound you want, whether electronic or natural (just give it an example of that sound), and it also shows the strongest eight frequencies present in a sample with very good precision (assuming you've set the calibration constant via a known sample):

ZorbSoft AudioZorb

It can get sound from the mic (good for home/business automation), what's playing out the speakers (so it can respond to a web or media stream like RadioReference streams or a computer game's audio), or an external device like your scanner.

A note: When connecting an external device, be sure to try a mono (not stereo) cable like the doc says. I had the floating ground problem when I used a stereo cable with my Pro-164, and had to switch to a mono cable.

I tested this on some PL codes and on some MDC1200(I think) ID signals and it worked like a charm. Also tested it on "natural" sounds from the microphone and it works OK, depending on how repeatable the sound is.

Two points to remember:

1. It helps to select the sound trigger's "Require phase info" checkbox for electronic sounds like radio signaling codes, but leave it unchecked for non-electronic/non-prerecorded sounds.
2. Don't specify too long a sample of the signal sound for use as a trigger sound. Specify only as much of the signal sound as would be needed to discriminate it from any other sound that might occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.