What are your thoughts in this type of stream setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I want to set a feed up at my dads house without running wires all over his house and making a big mess. He has his scanner on top of his fridge, apx. 15 feet from his computer. I was thinking of putting a FM transmitter on the REC jack of the BC 780XLT. On the computer side, I want to use a USB sound card and a FM radio of some sort with a 1/8" jack to run the audio from the FM radio to the USB MIC IN. I live three hours away, so I can't really do much trial and error stuff. Any problems you might see with this setup?

Tim K.

wvscanner

Database Admin
The only input I can give from using a transmitter is that at times if the wire is moved or something is moved near it, not counting on someone walking between the 2 location it will pickup static like if it went off channel.

richtidd

Database Admin
I want to set a feed up at my dads house without running wires all over his house and making a big mess. He has his scanner on top of his fridge, apx. 15 feet from his computer. I was thinking of putting a FM transmitter on the REC jack of the BC 780XLT. On the computer side, I want to use a USB sound card and a FM radio of some sort with a 1/8" jack to run the audio from the FM radio to the USB MIC IN. I live three hours away, so I can't really do much trial and error stuff. Any problems you might see with this setup?

Tim K.

Thanks for considering to host a feed.

We definitely would like to host your feed.

However, I see many poss problems with this set up.
1 Scanner on top of the fridge tells me this is poss in the kitchen and poss the family scanner that anyone can mess with and disable the feed?

2 Computer next to the fridge tells me this is poss in the kitchen and poss the family computer that anyone can mess with and disable the feed?

3 FM transmitter on the REC jack to a FM radio of some sort with a 1/8" jack! This seams to me to be a high poss of poor audio with FM noise etc. If this link fails the feed will have no audio etc. The FM radio adjustment is critical to stay on frequency & volume volume level etc. Also, there is the poss of rebroadcasting some FM on the same freq that is distant or rebroadcast some splatter form an adjacent freq both of witch we do not allow. If the FM radio is changed to the local station by a family member, then you will be broadcasting what we do not allow.

I could go on but generally I suggest you not do the FM transmitter idea. To many chances for feed problems some of witch would require us to disable the feed.

A direct cable connection to the scanner is best as long as the scanner & computer will not be messed with by others.

If the scanner & computer are in another room vs the kitchen as implied, then you have a better chance at a good feed.

Please see here for more info:
Setting up your Broadcasting Station
How to Maintain a Good Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.