Recording Fire Audio / Legal advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3405

I a member of a small Vol. fire dept. recently I have been using Audacity 1.3 to record our calls using a head phone jack in a Motorola Minitor V pager and then playing it at our training reviews. It really seems to help the guys hear and learn from mistakes made.

My question is if I took my recording and posted it on you tube or the dept website would that be legal? I would keep it private status any way but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks Chad

JoeyC

Legal questions are best left to the lawyers. This is a hobbyist website dedicated to radio monitoring, so you will get a variety of legal opinions here. Most would say there isn't a problem with what you are doing.

If you want legal advice, ask an attorney.

wvscanner

Database Admin
I would think it would be legal since you can request those audio tapes from 911. I'm not a lawyer but if it doesn't have full names in the audio on the air waves are not encrypt I don't see a problem.

chad3405

great thanks!
and like I said this isn't going to be open to the public only to my fire fighters for training. I didn't think that it would be illegal since we can request the same thing through open records act.

chad3405

Cool man thanks

Also you should check out Audacity 1.3 it has a feature for sound activated recording. so you wouldn't need to edit out all the dead air recording.. Also lets you record at a higher quality since it doesn't waste space.

let me know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.