Live Audio on Android Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Kudos to the RR team for the mobile apps they make available. I bought my first smart phone a couple of weekends ago, but just got around to downloading and bookmarking the RR mobile apps this past weekend.

While it's still cool to listen to the live audio feeds whenever I'm anchored to my desktop computer, it's fabulous to have the live feeds in the palm of my hand.

For those that have read enough of my posts, you know I frequently rhapsodize about the "good old days" when I listened to LAPD hotshot calls over an off-brand AM/FM/PSB portable radio. Once they stopped broadcasting hotshot calls over Tac-1 I was left out, since I don't have a P25 scanner. But now I've come full circle. I've bookmarked the LAPD hotshot live audio feed into my Android phone and it's just like old times again.

Funny how I'm using modern technology to ostensibly do what I did as a kid back in 1969.

Dave
KA6TJF

SCPD

QRT
Yeah, the Android phones are something, aren't they? I got one approximately a month ago, and the first thing I tested was the live feeds. I don't use the feed a whole lot, but it is nice when I am out on the bike or in the car and see a lot of police or fire units in the area, being able to grab my phone and "tune in" so to speak and find out what is going on.

It's blown lots of minds of people around me when they start hearing the radio chatter coming from my phone. Makes me wonder how I survived without this phone previously.

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
The one thing I wish the android app for RR had was the ablity to transmit alpha tagging data.

Anyone know of an app that successfully works with this?

--Patrick
Posted via Motorola DROID X.

SCPD

QRT
What is the RR app called? I couldn't find it in the market.

It's not available in the Android Maketplace. What you need to do is type www.radioreference.com into your phone browser. Then you'll get the normal Radio Reference page just like you were on a desktop or laptop computer. But you'll see the word MOBILE at the top of the page. Click on that link and your phone will enter the wonderful world of RR mobile. Bookmark Forums, Live Audio and any particular live audio feed you regularly listen to. I have bookmarked Forums and two live feeds, Orange County Fire and LAPD hotshot calls. I simply touch bookmarks on my phone and select what I want to read/listen to.

Dave
KA6TJF

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-M900 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Sorry if I got a little pissy in my last post. But I do get a little irritated when someone tells me I should have said this, when "this" is exactly what I said and it was either misread or misunderstood. Please understand, I have no agenda when I make my posts. I'm not trying to prove how knowledgable I am or to have people "ooh" and "aah" over my comments. I'm on this Website to learn and to be helpful whenever I think I can be of assistance. I learned long ago that despite my college degree there are lots of people out there who are smarter than me. The thing is, the smart ones don't write posts correcting me when there's nothing to correct. Frankly, even if I needed correction the smarter ones wouldn't bother, because they would think I wasn't worth the time. So, you tell me how I should have responded to the gent earlier tonight? When I got my smart phone I logged onto the RR Website and then clicked on MOBILE. Then I bookmarked Forums and Live Audio. Then I went the additional step and bookmarked two live streams that I listen to regularly. Am I missing something here? Is there an even easier way to do this?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Of course it is. That's why I told the gent to click on the word MOBILE, and then bookmark the available MOBILE feeds. Duh!

Uhh, okay.

The point is many cellphone browsers aren't at high speed. So going to the trouble of loading in the primary RR page, waiting for it to ingest, and then clicking on 'mobile' could take a while. On my NEXTEL it takes over a minute.

However skipping that step and just typing "m.radioreference.com" took only 8 seconds to load in, and then I bookmarked it. Either way works, but skipping a step (a quite long step in some cases) seems to be the smart way to go.

geoff5093

It's not available in the Android Maketplace. What you need to do is type www.radioreference.com into your phone browser. Then you'll get the normal Radio Reference page just like you were on a desktop or laptop computer. But you'll see the word MOBILE at the top of the page. Click on that link and your phone will enter the wonderful world of RR mobile. Bookmark Forums, Live Audio and any particular live audio feed you regularly listen to. I have bookmarked Forums and two live feeds, Orange County Fire and LAPD hotshot calls. I simply touch bookmarks on my phone and select what I want to read/listen to.

Dave
KA6TJF
Ah, I knew about mobile RR, I thought people were talking about an actual application. Thanks for the info!

Snarfer

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Radio by Gordon Rewards is the scanner app for RR feeds. There is a paid addon called Scanner Radio Pro that enables the use of a widget. Worth it IMHO.

It is available on the Market and is what I use.

Snarfer

droid app

Thanks for the info. My company is taking away my blackberry reimbursements and going to just give me another blackberry. Which means my personnel phone will most likely become a droid in Dec.

Is this the Gordon before our old sight (scanamerica) got gobbled up by RadioReference?

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
Being able to have multiple widgets, does the Pro version let you stream more than one feed at a time?

I never thought about this so i just tried it. No doesn't work. It allows you to create 2(+) widgets to the feed you want to listen to, but clicking play on one, stops the other.

Might be something to ask for in a future release. Personally it wouldn't be beneficial unless you could control which audio channel (L or R) the feed could sit on. Otherwise busy feeds would walk over each other and be a jumble.

KtzWorld

I have a Motorola Droid X and I use Scanner Buddy - PRO (v1.2 - size 161KB - by Karlan Mitchell). There's a free version available too, but I loved it so much I paid for the PRO version. Both are available to download from Android Market. Karlan Mitchell gave thanks to radioreference.com and blog.pocketjourney.com for some java code. That's how I found radioreference for my laptop. Now I'm addicted to both applications. Yes, it is fun to see the reactions of people when they hear a police scanner then see it's coming from my Droid X. Even better is that the Scanner Buddy application actually looks like a handheld scanner.

jleverin

My husband got me a Droid X for Christmas so I immediately looked around and found the scanner app and have to say I really like the RR audio feeds. It's nice being able to listen in on what's happening in different parts of the country or even the world. I either listen to public safety or sometimes the ham repeaters. Breaks the monotony when I get tired of listening to the local stuff on the scanner, the audio on the phone is great. Only problem with the Droid X is the battery doesn't last terribly long, have to make sure the apps not needed are turned off. Overall really nice though....

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
My husband got me a Droid X for Christmas so I immediately looked around and found the scanner app and have to say I really like the RR audio feeds. It's nice being able to listen in on what's happening in different parts of the country or even the world. I either listen to public safety or sometimes the ham repeaters. Breaks the monotony when I get tired of listening to the local stuff on the scanner, the audio on the phone is great. Only problem with the Droid X is the battery doesn't last terribly long, have to make sure the apps not needed are turned off. Overall really nice though....

I highly recommend the extended battery, and customize the battery saving profile to your liking.

And don't use a task killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.