2 Feed Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adenosine

I would like to start a second feed. If your scanners do not alpha tag, is there a way to use scancast (Edit: running ScannerCast) to broadcast with right a left, then have RR put it up as two separate feeds?

What is the best recommendation? Do I need a different program?

My computer has onboard 5.1 audio, line in and mic in. I understand mic in is undesirable so I was intending to avoid this.

Thank You

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
ScannerCast has no way to divide the L and R channel, so you couldn't send two separate mono feeds from a single input. What you need to do is install a second sound card, either PCI or USB, whatever works best for your computer. The good news is that you can pick up some old SoundBlaster PCI 16 cards on eBay that work really well and are cheap. Once you get everything connected, you'd run two instances of ScannerCast, one for each feed. Actually you'd be running the same copy of ScannerCast, you'd just create another .ini file for the second feed.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about ScannerCast, but I guess you meant ScanCast.

Adenosine

My mess up, I am running ScannerCast. Is there a program that will seperate L & R feed to broadcast?

richtidd

Database Admin
ScannerCast has no way to divide the L and R channel, so you couldn't send two separate mono feeds from a single input. What you need to do is install a second sound card, either PCI or USB, whatever works best for your computer. The good news is that you can pick up some old SoundBlaster PCI 16 cards on eBay that work really well and are cheap. Once you get everything connected, you'd run two instances of ScannerCast, one for each feed. Actually you'd be running the same copy of ScannerCast, you'd just create another .ini file for the second feed.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were talking about ScannerCast, but I guess you meant ScanCast.

For connecting your equipment for a stereo feed, please see here here:
Setting up your Broadcasting Station
How to Maintain a Good Feed

richtidd

Database Admin
I would like to start a second feed. If your scanners do not alpha tag, is there a way to use scancast (Edit: running ScannerCast) to broadcast with right a left, then have RR put it up as two separate feeds?

What is the best recommendation? Do I need a different program?

My computer has onboard 5.1 audio, line in and mic in. I understand mic in is undesirable so I was intending to avoid this.

Thank You

For connecting your equipment for a stereo feed, please see here here:
Setting up your Broadcasting Station
How to Maintain a Good Feed

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

richtidd

Database Admin
Rich, please read the post carefully before replying...he doesn't want to run a stereo feed, he wants to split the Line In L and R channels to two separate feeds.

I did understand whet he wrote.

In case he did not mean exactly what he wrote but was asking for something different, provided stereo feed info.

Adenosine

Thank you both for the information. I had read through the Wiki stuff a bunch of times and a few decent threads too. I hsd thought I saw one provider have a feed seperated, but I must have read it wrong.

Sofar, my first attempt failed. I used a mono cable from each scanner into the y adapter (Stereo to Left, Right). I got this horrible warble tone through my system.

I might go with the second feed through a second input on my soundcard and run a second Scannercast.

I'm sure I have to apply for an additional feed then too.

gonorth

Premium Subscriber
Second Audio Card or USB Audio Adapter

I run two RR feeds and two private feeds by using 4 audio cards in the same PC. If you add a second audio card (mine are PCI cards but you can get USB audio adapters) you can run two feeds easily.

I use ProScan and run 2 RR feeds and 2 ProScan feeds using 4 separate instances of ProScan concurrently with line audio in from the scanner record jack to line in on the respective audio cards.

You do need a second feed application in this case but it's easy enough to apply.

Jon - N1QGL
Berlin, NH

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I run two RR feeds and two private feeds by using 4 audio cards in the same PC. If you add a second audio card (mine are PCI cards but you can get USB audio adapters) you can run two feeds easily.

I use ProScan and run 2 RR feeds and 2 ProScan feeds using 4 separate instances of ProScan concurrently with line audio in from the scanner record jack to line in on the respective audio cards.

You do need a second feed application in this case but it's easy enough to apply.

Jon - N1QGL
Berlin, NH

You can also use just 1 sound card to stream 4 feeds mono.

Line In Left - Scanner #1
Line In Right - Scanner #2
Mic In Left - Scanner #3
Mic In Right - Scanner #4

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You can also use just 1 sound card to stream 4 feeds mono.

Line In Left - Scanner #1
Line In Right - Scanner #2
Mic In Left - Scanner #3
Mic In Right - Scanner #4

The overwhelming majority of MIC inputs on consumer sound cards are mono, not stereo. :wink:

Adenosine

Well 1:30am, feel like jumping off a bridge. The Realtek audio device will not let ScannerCast see more than 1 device. The HD audio Codecs show the mic line is hooked up, you can hear it, but you cannot select the recording audio stream at the program level. The Realtek device driver decides which one will be used, line in or mic.

My 2nd Feed is going through my 2nd computer, temp solution till I figure this out.

Adenosine

Noticed some static in the feed, also on some channels there is a hum. I'll work on this issue, any advice by anyone would be appreciated.

gonorth

Premium Subscriber
Mute Unused Inputs - Adjust Input Volume

You may want to try muting any unused inputs such as the MIC in the advanced volume control in Windows and adjust the volume level on the input you are using in that area also. Are you using the record out jack on your receiver or is it speaker out? If it's speaker out you may want to adjust that level also to find the right mix.

It can be frustrating but once you figure it out it will be well worth the effort.

Jon - N1QGL

Adenosine

Just sent this to Realtek, hope they can figure out my problem:

[System] Asus motherboard P7H55-M PRO w/ i5 processor
[Audio] Onboard 8 channel High Def Audio Codec

Background is this; I need to record two separate inputs, Line In and the Mic. The Realtek HD Audio Manager allows you 3 choices of:

1) Line in
2) Mic
or 3)Stereo mix (this is both inputs mixed together)

This is a one choice wonder. When I go to the audio programs I use for recording, I only see the "Realtek HD Audio Input" for a choice. I do not get to choose, line in or mic. I need to keep the channels separate.

How can I use both input's at the same time?

Thank you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The simple answer is: You can't use both inputs simultaneously. It's one or the other, not both.

Honestly, all this aggravation trying to squeeze two feeds out of a single sound card is simply not worth it. Pick up a cheap SoundBlaster PCI 16 card on ebay for a few bucks, install it, and be done with it. Is there any specific reason you're opposed to installing a second sound card? No free PCI slots, maybe? Even one of those cheap $1 USB audio sticks will generally do the trick.

Adenosine

I'm not against it, in fact my overall plan is to connect 4 scanners to the computer, so a sound card is in the future.

It is really two problems, my stubbornness to give in to that darn board and eventually I'll have to go back to figuring out why the stereo feed failed so miserably too. I'm not looking forward to that one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.