One Frequency Humm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adenosine

Why would I have one frequency that has background humm and the others clear? Could it be a problem with the repeater the PD is using?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If the station has the PL level set too high, this might be one explanation. One of our local PDs here had that same issue before they went all trunked...73 Mike

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
the level, on 25k wideband normal max deviation is 5.0 khz. voice itself is usually about 4.5 of this and PL is .2-.5khz of deviation. if they have it set to say .8khz of PL deviation then you hear it as a hum or tone. for narrowband these levels are cut in half but the principle is the same, too much PL deviation and it no longer is a "subaudible" tone.

Adenosine

Is it only happening when you stream?

I can hear it if I were to record. I can hear it over the scanner too. The other freqs are clear, actually the FD frequency on the same tower doesn't have the humm.

Maybe when we go over to Penobscot Regional Dispatch it will get fixed. I can try mentioning it up the food chain, but whats that black ball say? "Outlook is doubtfull" Thought maybe it was my older scanner but I like the idea of blaming someone else.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you are hearing it over the scanner, it is not an issue with streaming and broadcasting. You might post in the Maine forum instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.