RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 2:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

just wondering if anyone is having this issue...

I have a Pro-106 and I am streaming alpha tags.

for the first hour everything seems fine.
then the radiofeed app itself, starts to lag, meaning I hear the audio out of the speakers/scanner before it even displays in the audio signal bar in radiofeed. The alpha tags also get out of sink in the app and stream....

This happened in 1.12 but i havent tested 1.13 yet.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2011, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtlawatv View Post

then the radiofeed app itself, starts to lag, meaning I hear the audio out of the speakers/scanner before it even displays in the audio signal bar in radiofeed. The alpha tags also get out of sync in the app and stream....
Open Windows Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. See how much memory and CPU RadioFeed is consuming. Is it excessive?

Go to the Performance tab and see how much available Physical Memory or Working Set memory you have free, maybe the machine is starved for RAM.

Just some suggestions, but Bob should have a better idea on what to check.
Old 08-08-2011, 3:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

ill check that, but im not too sure that that would be the problem.
I have RadioFeed running on a dual core 3.0 with 3 gigs of memory.
just running RadioFeed.........
Ill check it when I get home though....

thanks
Matthew
Old 08-08-2011, 6:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtlawatv View Post

then the radiofeed app itself, starts to lag, meaning I hear the audio out of the speakers/scanner before it even displays in the audio signal bar in radiofeed. The alpha tags also get out of sink in the app and stream....

This happened in 1.12 but i havent tested 1.13 yet.
In addition to what Bote suggested, Look in the Task Manager for other processes running and the CPU utilization. What is the OS type?

I can't see what would cause this. There's isn't any internal buffer that grows with time and therefore consumes memory.
Old 08-09-2011, 6:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have seen the lag in tags and what I like to call sticky tags (Tags that hang until the next transmission)
I have found that this is do to busy DSL in my area or if I use my wifi , if I use a cable to the router I have this less often. My feed is almost always on my wireless.
BCD396XT
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Z1V6 View Post
I have seen the lag in tags and what I like to call sticky tags (Tags that hang until the next transmission)
I have found that this is do to busy DSL in my area or if I use my wifi , if I use a cable to the router I have this less often. My feed is almost always on my wireless.
[EDIT] You will get sticky tags if you have the option "Text To Show During Scanning" un-checked.

Since you are using a 106, try the latest version 1.13 as I re-worked the GRE/RS scanner text tags. See if that solves the sticky tag problem.

Where ever the problem is, I'm certain that it's not the media between the source client and the media player. The internet doesn't discriminate audio and text tags. They are both data. The audio and text tags are multiplexed and sent out to the internet at the same time.

Last edited by ProScan; 08-09-2011 at 10:16 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM

I've noticed a lag in tags as well as the "sticky" tags, even when connected to the computer's loopback IP address. This is on a 3 GHz dual core AMD chip with 4GB of RAM, and the system idle process at 99%. In other words, nothing to do with the computer configuration that could or would be causing any lag whatsoever

If I leave everything precisely the same but switch over to ScannerCast, the lag and sticky tags both disappear and it's back to real-time to the 10th of a second. Same scanner, same USB cable, same COM port, same serial port speed and settings, same WinAmp client, etc etc etc. Only the software changes. Both programs are setup for the absolute bare essentials required to stream to the loopback IP, with no connection to RR or any other server on the outside world, and the tag formats are also set identical. All settings are mirrored between the programs.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'll try to duplicate the problem.

What's the OS?
Are you using a 346XT scanner?
Are you running RadioFeed 1.13?
Is the option "Text To Show During Scanning" checked or un-checked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
I've noticed a lag in tags as well as the "sticky" tags, even when connected to the computer's loopback IP address. This is on a 3 GHz dual core AMD chip with 4GB of RAM, and the system idle process at 99%. In other words, nothing to do with the computer configuration that could or would be causing any lag whatsoever

If I leave everything precisely the same but switch over to ScannerCast, the lag and sticky tags both disappear and it's back to real-time to the 10th of a second. Same scanner, same USB cable, same COM port, same serial port speed and settings, same WinAmp client, etc etc etc. Only the software changes. Both programs are setup for the absolute bare essentials required to stream to the loopback IP, with no connection to RR or any other server on the outside world, and the tag formats are also set identical. All settings are mirrored between the programs.

Last edited by ProScan; 08-09-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM

OS is XP Pro SP3

Yes, 346XT with the Uniden serial cable (connected via a TRENDnet TU-S9 serial to USB converter, as well as direct to a native serial port...no difference)

RadioFeed 1.12 and 1.13 both exhibited the same symptoms

"Text to Show During Scanning" checked and unchecked, same result of delayed tags.

If there's anything you'd like me to try on my end, let me know.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
OS is XP Pro SP3

Yes, 346XT with the Uniden serial cable (connected via a TRENDnet TU-S9 serial to USB converter, as well as direct to a native serial port...no difference)

RadioFeed 1.12 and 1.13 both exhibited the same symptoms

"Text to Show During Scanning" checked and unchecked, same result of delayed tags.

If there's anything you'd like me to try on my end, let me know.
Check at the bottom of the program where the text tags show before leaving to the internet. See if you have the sticky text tag problem there.
Old 08-10-2011, 6:21 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Win-XP all updates
RadioFeed 1.13 I deleted the test exe that was sent and all other versions and did a fresh install.
I do have Text to show during scanning un-checked. I kind of like it this way.
I have a Pro-197 with all the updates.
If you need you can look at it by clicking on the "Feed Provider" tab. I do use win-amp and if you need any thing else I will help as much as I can.
BCD396XT
Old 08-18-2011, 2:55 PM

What format are the locked out talkgroups supposed to be in? Like for EDACS, XX-XXX or XXXXX?
Old 08-18-2011, 4:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk262 View Post
What format are the locked out talkgroups supposed to be in? Like for EDACS, XX-XXX or XXXXX?
It will be in the same format as the scanner is sending to RadioFeed. Look in the test tab and you will see the data from the scanner. When a TGID is active, the TGID will show. Use that format.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProScan View Post
[EDIT] You will get sticky tags if you have the option "Text To Show During Scanning" un-checked.
I really, really, REALLY love this feature.

I operate a remote feed down in Key West and I have been slowly collecting new talkgroups on the NQX Boca Chica Naval Air Station trunked system. It almost seems like they are playing cat-and-mouse with me as every week there is another talkgroup that I discover in Search mode.

Well, now that I have switched over to RadioFeed I cleared that checkbox to leave the last channel tag up, plus I really like the configurable variables that let me pump the talkgroup number as well as the channel name into the metadata. Now if I hear and see a new talkgroup it stays there long enough for me to make a note of it and figure out what its purpose is.

That is a very nice set of features for the scanner hobbyist, kudos.
Old 08-22-2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
It will be in the same format as the scanner is sending to RadioFeed. Look in the test tab and you will see the data from the scanner. When a TGID is active, the TGID will show. Use that format.

This is how I am set up now but these talkgroups on the left still broadcast.

Any ideas what's wrong? This is a pro-197 using the latest build you emailed me.

If it matters, the data from the scanner under the test tab also displays this sometimes:

Scn0240 TGRP PlD
VC 857.262500
SO LE3 NE Disp
TSYS
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
This is how I am set up now but these talkgroups on the left still broadcast.

Any ideas what's wrong? This is a pro-197 using the latest build you emailed me.

If it matters, the data from the scanner under the test tab also displays this sometimes:

Scn0240 TGRP PlD
VC 857.262500
SO LE3 NE Disp
TSYS
It just occurred to me that there is a problem with the PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-500, and the PSR-600. For some odd reason, the TGID's are displayed and sent to RadioFeed at the end of transmission. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's why the TGID broadcast L/O won't work for those models. I think I will include the channel name to the criteria for L/O.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It just occurred to me that there is a problem with the PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-500, and the PSR-600. For some odd reason, the TGID's are displayed and sent to RadioFeed at the end of transmission. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's why the TGID broadcast L/O won't work for those models. I think I will include the channel name to the criteria for L/O.
I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question. I can say this: if I set the metadata to use the channel name, frequency, or radio id, those all work fine and come across instantly. Does that answer your question? I don't see the ability to use any other piece of data (i.e. talkgroup id).
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question. I can say this: if I set the metadata to use the channel name, frequency, or radio id, those all work fine and come across instantly. Does that answer your question? I don't see the ability to use any other piece of data (i.e. talkgroup id).
I don't have any questions just hoping that you can correct me when I say the TGID appears at end of the transmission. If that's the case then the TGID won't work for the broadcast L/O.

Last edited by ProScan; 08-22-2011 at 11:20 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I don't have any questions just hoping that you can correct me when I say the TGID appears at end of the transmission. If that's the cast then the TGID won't work for the broadcast L/O.
I just now understood what you meant. I watched the test tab and yes, the talkgroup does follow the transmission.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM

Did you ever get the feeling that Uniden and GRE are out to make your life as difficult as possible?