Thin Clients and Audio Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I tried searching but didn't come up with anything....

I know a lot of people use XPe thin clients for their feeds. I'm thinking of going this route to reduce energy consumption and heat generation.

If I purchase a thin client with a serial port, will audio tags work?

I saw another thread that suggested an external line in device to allow stereo feeds. I'd like to run 2 feeds. Can I run 2 copies of the broadcast software on XPe like I can on XP?

Thanks!
Rob

PeterGV

K1PGV
I run my feed using a thin client and ScannerCast with tags.

Works terrific for me.

One word of warning though: Using a thin client isn't difficult, but it's not "plug and play" either. Configuring a thin client with XPe takes some time and effort. Don't even consider this unless you want to spend some time "playing" and learning a bit about these systems and XP Embedded.

Peter
K1PGV

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

I'm an IT Manager and we run thin clients in our environment. Most run Wyse Thin OS but we have XPe mobile thin clients that I've played with. Getting my feed running on a thin client will be an excellent project I'm ready to tackle.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Enjoy. I had a ton of fun setting mine up. Since discovering thin clients and Windows XPe, I've grabbed up several thin clients for all sorts of dedicated uses. I love the things. Quiet, rugged..

Peter
K1PGV

You might want to consider a netbook. Netbooks run full Windows XP, Win7 Starter edition, or Linux. Since they are a full blown computer setup is the same as a standard desktop and they only draw about 30 watts of power.

I run my feed on an Asus Eeepc 900. It is a 900Mhz celeron with 1GB ram and a 4GB solid state drive. I also serve my own feeds directly and host a web server all on the same Netbook.

With the addition of a standard USB-Serial adapter tags should be no problem.

PeterGV

K1PGV
I've used the HP/Compaq T5710 with good luck. You want the faster model, if possible (1.2GHz), and at least 512MB of flash and memory. More (disk especially) is better, especially if you want to run the latest updates. You CAN upgrade both disk and memory, but not infinitely. You can expect to pay between $70 and $100 for these machines, in very good condition. I bought several NEW a year ago or so at that price, IIRC.

The T5720 is a far more capable machine (1GB flash + 1GB of memory is an available config), and able to run the latest XPe updates out of the box, but also more expensive (perhaps about $200 in that config).

The particularly nice things about these machines are: Passive cooled (no fan), runs XPe which is NICELY stripped down, secure (boots from flash and throws away anything written to the disk at each reboot... which means no infections!), and designed to run 24x7x365xN in a commercial environment.

Peter
K1PGV

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I'm up and running on a T5720. I picked up the unit on ebay with 1gb Flash, 512mb ram. The seller advertised it as "magic jack" ready. Came in under $100 with shipping. I installed .NET 2.0 and RadioFeed and I was up and running quickly, with audio tags!

East Windsor Fire and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Next step: I ordered one of the $4 USB audio cards to try and get another feed going on the same unit.

yetilucas

I'm up and running on a T5720. I picked up the unit on ebay with 1gb Flash, 512mb ram. The seller advertised it as "magic jack" ready. Came in under $100 with shipping. I installed .NET 2.0 and RadioFeed and I was up and running quickly, with audio tags!

East Windsor Fire and EMS Live Scanner Audio Feed

Next step: I ordered one of the $4 USB audio cards to try and get another feed going on the same unit.

do you have any instructions on how you did this? I have a couple of these am about to give up on them.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
do you have any instructions on how you did this? I have a couple of these am about to give up on them.
It really is like any PC except there is a write filter. Disable the filter and install your software. Once everything is how you like it, re enable write filter. Everytime you reboot it will clear any changes and you will have it back to known working config.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.