HP Thin Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pck

I have been reading a few of the posts about the HP Thin Client (T5700) here. Seems like a good alternative to running my desktop for my stream. Less power, less space, etc.

Does anyone know if the Thin Client can handle an upgrade to Windows XP PRO SP2? Just curious.

Either way, it looks like for under $50 I could get one of these off ebay and turn off the desktop.

ramboton

Feed Provider
The thin Clients do not have a hard drive, basically they have memory in place of a mechanical drive. The OS version shows as Windows XPe or Embedded, so I doubt that you would be able to install XP Pro on it.

They can be tricky to install what is needed, I have three of them, it took a little work to set them up but all three are working great, my HP 5720 is actually providing two streams.

kd5pck

Even if I can't load Win XP Pro onto it, this looks like a nice piece of equipment to add to my shack. I have been watching a few auctions on ebay and may give it a try. Thanks.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Beware the really inexpensive Thin Client machines.

Not all Thin Clients can run XPe... some are only configurable with Linux. Sooooo... if you DO want to run XP Embedded, be sure you get a Thin Client that has this capability.

If you think about it, you probably don't WANT to run XP Pro on a Thin Client. One of the MAJOR advantages to running a Thin Client is that it has XP Embedded which is tailor-made for its use, and with a ton of useless bloat stripped out. HP has updates for the more recent Thin Clients that'll get you relevant service packs, .Net... whatever you need for streaming certainly.

The original use for these Thin Client machines was to run web browsers or terminal server clients to access other machines. For example, we have a Thin Client in my office in the lunch room that we use to access the web to settle those lunch-time debates (like "is so-and-so dead?" or "What year did Hey Jealousy come out?"

The t5720 is a terrific thin client, with lots of upgrade potential. The t5710 makes a nice streaming client, but it's limited in terms of the amount of memory supported.

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.