Hypothetical Question(s) about feed scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

First off, let me state that I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, and if it is not, I apologize, but it seemed the most logical place...

I'm a feed provider, however, I'm using a Pro-106, which is a handheld scanner, and really isn't the best scanner for providing a feed. I have to take audio out of the headphones jack, and the volume has to be kept at almost 0, and the gain on the audio input of the computer is really low as well... Fortunately, it's adjusted so that it sounds good, but it's not an ideal situation...

Hypothetical Question #1: If I were to purchase a scanner specifically for hosting a live audio feed, what would be the best one to purchase? I've looked through specs until my eyes cross, and it's hard to compare since the specs given between different brands and different units are all different so I'm not really comparing apples to apples... I'd like a base/mobile scanner (where I can set it on a shelf, and be able to read the display without having to move it), preferably something with a tape output (constant volume output/line output), computer programmable, and (of course) digital capable... Since it'd be a feed scanner, it doesn't have to have 37,000 channels... A simple 50 channel scanner would do just fine as long as it could read digital signals...

Hypothetical Question #2: As a community of people who are all interested in scanners, is there any particular place to get scanners inexpensively? Has anyone considered the idea of getting a bunch of people together to order multiple scanners at one time with the intent of getting them at a lower cost per unit? I purchased my scanner used for like $250. New they're closer to $400 for a base/mobile version. That's a bit steep for me...

10-15 years ago I was buying 100 channel (analog only) scanners for $10-15... That's why I have a gazillion of them here... $400 for a single scanner, only because it can read digital signals, is crazy... Those old scanners would be just fine even nowadays for the things I listen to (there are no Astro systems or EDACS systems on my feed), if only they could understand the digital signals...

*frustrated*

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Pro-197 is the base version of your scanner and is probably a better choice for full time streaming.

There is no magic place to get scanners cheap. You might get slightly cheaper ones on ebay but that's about it--unless you know someone who works at radio shack who will buy one using their discount for you. New technology costs more money and there's no sense complaining about that fact.

You can also change the volume settings for your line in using control panel. I suggest you do some googling.

NYRHKY94

ETMegabyte:

I would have to agree with mk262. Based on your needs/requirements, the base version of your handheld (Pro-197) would be a good solution for your full-time feed. Great scanner, great digital decode and fully remote controllable/programmable using Win500. Radio Shack has these on sale quite often for $299 - $329 (free shipping too) and there are coupons on the internet that often bring that price down by $25 or more. Not bad actually for a new state of the art digital scanner.

If you want tape out, you'll have to go with one of the Unidens (BC796D & higher). I use a Pro-197 for one of my feeds and find the audio to be just fine. Good luck!

Thanks

Last edited:

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
The pro106 is no better or worse than any other scanner for providing a simple audio feed.

It sounds like you are using the microphone input on your computer and that is why you have to turn everything down so low. You will have the same "problem" with any scanner model as the scanner's audio output will always be higher than the computer's mic input is designed for.

If your computer has a "line in" jack, then use that. If the computer's only audio input is a microphone input, then you will have to keep both the scanner's output volume and the computer mic input volume very low. Alternatively, you can buy or build an in-line audio attenuator circuit to reduce the scanner's audio output down to level more suitable for a microphone input. This "circuit" can be as simple as adding a resistor inline on the audio patch cable.

:)

csmith00

Feed Provider
I use an attenuated cable since the old laptop I use has no line-in. Should be easy to find at your local Radio Shack if you don't have another source

Status
Not open for further replies.