ProScan remote scanner mobile app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I was going to make a suggestion to ProScan but I wanted to see how others thought about it first.

I know Win500 has a mobile remote scanner app, but for those that use ProScan.. would you use a remote scanner app for your iPhone or Android?

I think it would be very useful. What do you think?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I was going to make a suggestion to ProScan but I wanted to see how others thought about it first.

I know Win500 has a mobile remote scanner app, but for those that use ProScan.. would you use a remote scanner app for your iPhone or Android?

Do you mean the Win500 Pocket PC monitoring client?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Mobile APP

I already suggested that to BOB. His reply was "Why reinvent the wheel?" and he told me to use XIIA if I wanted tags info. I thought a mobile version of SCANNER Over IP would be great to be able to log on and change scanner settings via mobile w/o being on a computer. I don't listen to my feed often via mobile, but I check it now and then to verify it is working. I guess I am saying a PROSCAN Client type APP where you could log on with a PW would be great.

sfreiman

Premium Subscriber
If Bob would program ProScan Remote for Android, I'd actually use the remote feature. Don't think it will ever happen though.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Android APP

If Bob would program ProScan Remote for Android, I'd actually use the remote feature. Don't think it will ever happen though.

I think if it wasn't included in the license fee for Proscan that I would probably be willing to part with up to $10 for a ANDROID Mobile APP that works like Proscan Client.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-26) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Win500 would be great on Android!

TintesB

Feed Provider
Yes!

If I could monitor my feeds from my iPhone/iPad AND access the recording I would be using it much more. Especially if there was a temporary playback function to just listen to the last 30 seconds or so. I've been thinking an app would be useful for a long time now... Come on Bob!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If I could monitor my feeds from my iPhone/iPad AND access the recording I would be using it much more. Especially if there was a temporary playback function to just listen to the last 30 seconds or so. I've been thinking an app would be useful for a long time now... Come on Bob!

You can with the Web Server. Set the WS to serve a folder containing the recordings.
Point your browser to the URL of the WS and click the recording folder and file. Also click the Listen Live link to listen to the scanner in real time.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

I would like to take on the challenge but it takes a lot of time. 3 to 6 or 7 years (depending on features) for each type of tablet and smart phones. The latest Web Server has remote control which can be used on any browser. Not 100% tested with all the browser but getting a lot of favorable reports.

Last edited:

scosgt

You don't need Bob to make one. Just use ProScan and this:

Best Remote Desktop App | Access Computer from iPad | Splashtop

It puts your PC desktop on your phone/tablet, and allows you to listen to the audio AND control the scanner using the Proscan controls. Well worth $1.99 for iPhone or $4.99 for Android.
To get internet access you make an account with them. No router settings or anything. And the audio is in sync with the virtual scanner screen, depending on your internet speeds. Use the ProScan "scanner only" setting and you have instant access to all the ProScan controls from your device. You can zoom on on the virtual display to get the same screen as on your PC, and move around to click any of the on screen controls. Well worth the money. I don't have an Android phone, but I was able to tether my tablet to my iPhone and it works great, in fact I think the Android version may be more stable than the iPhone version.

plectron25

Premium Subscriber
ProScan with iPhone- works great!

I would like to take on the challenge but it takes a lot of time. 3 to 6 or 7 years (depending on features) for each type of tablet and smart phones. The latest Web Server has remote control which can be used on any browser. Not 100% tested with all the browser but getting a lot of favorable reports.

I recently installed the 6.2 version of ProScan- I am quite impressed by its compatability with the iPhone. I have been able to very reliably connect to my scanner audio stream by just pointing a web browser at my home ProScan server IP address and clicking the "Listen Live" button- the default music player started up and played properly. The only feature missing was the metadata tags. Doing some more online research and experimenting I confirmed that the Wunder Radio APP indeed displays the associated channel metadata- even through the lock screen on the iPhone. There are some issues with synchronization between the audio and tags, but that may well be inherent to how the tags and buffering timing works.

I hope that future versions of ProScan may allow us to also play back recorded channel/time tagged specific recordings from ProScan through audio players of this sort- that will give us a very powerful tool!

Nice enhancements Bob.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

I asked BOB about that very thing and so have others...his response was "Why reinvent the wheel?"

I for one would love to be able to control the scanner from my HTC android phone like I can from a computer with scanner over IP and Proscan.

EDIT: After reading some prior posts I see this post was not needed...

Last edited:

ditzler79

First Let me thank you bob for your excellent work on this program i am new to Radio Reference scanner feed and am trying your software now with plans to buy. I seen there was talk about making a android app. I am really interested to see if there has been any progress with this or not. If there were to be a android app that would be adding perfection to a already great product. I read in previous posts about a web server, I apologize for my ignorance to this but how would i go about something like this. (I don't have a webpage) Not sure if that matters or not. Thanks for your time..

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
First Let me thank you bob for your excellent work on this program i am new to Radio Reference scanner feed and am trying your software now with plans to buy. I seen there was talk about making a android app. I am really interested to see if there has been any progress with this or not. If there were to be a android app that would be adding perfection to a already great product. I read in previous posts about a web server, I apologize for my ignorance to this but how would i go about something like this. (I don't have a webpage) Not sure if that matters or not. Thanks for your time..

ProScan FAQ Section
Q.Can you do a version for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, etc.?
A: Negative. It will take several years to do each and I would rather spend the time on ProScan & RadioFeed.

Appreciate the comments. Regarding an Android app. On my web page in the FAQ section. I wrote this several years ago and still stands. I'll add that I have years of suggestions that I want to do.

The Web Server serves a web page as shown below. ProScan generates the page. For remote control on the Android, use your browser to log in to the ProScan running the server. A few more steps are needed such as port forwarding that's explained in the help file.

Web Server.png

nsradio

Premium Subscriber
I use the web server like Bob says and it works very well. I use VLC for the audio and it work well.

Bob, would it be possible to add arrows to use instead of the function wheel? I can't get it to work on my phone, adding two arrows and maybe a lock key to the side would be huge. As it is you can't scroll through channels or system on a touch screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.