Darkice and Ubuntu 10.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakechad

I’ve been trying to get Darkice working with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I’ve been 100% Linux (other than radio programming) since 1997 and have battled many problems, but I’m going nuts with this one! I’ve confirmed my line in and microphone jacks work. I tested the cable. I confirmed my device names and aliases. I’ve used every configuration imaginable. I can even get VLC to stream with no problem. At this point I suspect it is a Pulseaudio problem.

With that said, my question is has anyone gotten Ubuntu 10.04 and Darkice to work correctly? If so, can you share your darkice.cfg and your soundcard list?

My next step is to look at setting up a Slackware or Freebsd machine where I can be confident it is not a Pulseaudio issue.

Thanks

talkpair

Did you compile the package yourself, or download using Synaptic?

I believe that the packages downloaded from Ubuntu and Debian are compiled WITHOUT mp3 support to get around licensing issues.

This is the case with liveice, but not sure about darkice.

bakechad

It is the Synaptic package. It uses Lame, so I assumed it would work as long as Lame is installed. I think I tried it as Vorbis too, but I will double check that.

I actually can get it to stream and can connect to the stream, there is just no sound at all regardless of what I put in as my device. I've checked the volumes for the line-in and Mic in both gnome-sound and alsamixer.

The mic and line-in both work if I plug a mic into them and use the sound recorder.

I configured ices2 and I have the same exact problem. That is why I am convinced it is a pulseaudio issue.

I've used Ubuntu since 7.10, but between pulseaudio and now the switch to Unity. I think is time to move on. I am eyeing Arch for my desktop and back to Slackware for the server side.

talkpair

I recently configured another machine for some additional radios a few weeks ago.

I compiled lame version 3.98.4 which I had problems with. Another machine I have is using older version 3.97.
After installing 3.97 on the new machine, the problem was resolved.

I don't know what your experience is with streaming audio, but keep in mind there is some delay between the source audio and the audio heard on the client's speakers.
The first time I set up my streaming audio here at the house, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out the problem........There was no problem at all.......I simply wasn't waiting long enough for the audio to arrive.
The graph on the source client didn't show any audio at all until 15 seconds after the audio had already begun, and didn't arrive at the listening client until a full minute later.

My experience is with liveice, and not darkice.........The logfile (in /var/log) could be of some help.
Liveice keeps a log file........i would assume darkice would also.

Also the logfile of the actual icecast server could give some clues.

Good Luck

bakechad

Solved

Talkpair,

Thanks for your help.

After your post I did the following

1. Started from scratch
2. Plugged it all in.
3. wrote a darkice.cfg from scratch
4. Ran darkice and waited for buffer to fully load (thanks to you!) but everything came out in slow motion and garbled.
5. Changed the samplerate from 22050 to 44100
6. messed with volume a little.
7. Works like a champ!

csfd77

Feed Provider
Ok I'm very new to Ubuntu. I would like to stream my feed using a computer running Ubuntu. Could you all walk me through it?

Status
Not open for further replies.