RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 9:22 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I've recently upgraded my scanner to a 996T and am now using the Control option to bypass voice calls. I'm using v55a.

Every so often, I'll find the scanner stuck on Hold and I must hit scan to get it to resume scanning.

I'm assuming the software sends a Hold command when a valid page is detected and sends a scan command when the voice timeout has expired?

Is there a check made to make sure the scanner has actually started scanning again?

I've got the means to generate QuickCall tones so I'll try and duplicate it.

On another note, would it be possible to specify recording length individually rather than globally?

We've got an EMS page prealert which is very short (typically under 10 seconds). The crew receives the details once they go mobile. Fire pages out the entire call and their pages last about 45 seconds.

Since Fire and EMS are usually tiered, the pages can sometimes overlap.

If I could set the EMS record length down to 10 seconds I might be able to catch the Fire page if it occurs within the 35 second dead air from the EMS page.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
I've recently upgraded my scanner to a 996T and am now using the Control option to bypass voice calls. I'm using v55a.

Every so often, I'll find the scanner stuck on Hold and I must hit scan to get it to resume scanning.

I'm assuming the software sends a Hold command when a valid page is detected and sends a scan command when the voice timeout has expired?

Is there a check made to make sure the scanner has actually started scanning again?

I've got the means to generate QuickCall tones so I'll try and duplicate it.

On another note, would it be possible to specify recording length individually rather than globally?

We've got an EMS page prealert which is very short (typically under 10 seconds). The crew receives the details once they go mobile. Fire pages out the entire call and their pages last about 45 seconds.

Since Fire and EMS are usually tiered, the pages can sometimes overlap.

If I could set the EMS record length down to 10 seconds I might be able to catch the Fire page if it occurs within the 35 second dead air from the EMS page.
Ok let me know what you find with the scanner control. I haven't done much long-term testing of that feature. I had to change it around quite a bit because my first implementation had it commanding "SCAN" very frequently. Unfortunately every time a command is received the scanner audio drops out, which was making it miss tones. I had to reduce the number of commands being sent and the overall logic wasn't exactly to my liking, but it was all I could get to work. If you can reproduce the problem I can look into it.

As for the variable recording time, it could probably be done, but I'd have to look into it. As you may have noticed, I haven't done any development on this program in quite awhile. There is someone else that has started to do some work on an improved GUI and other enhancements so I've been leaving it alone while he's been working on it. I would think that you'd still be able to catch the fire page even if EMS is still recording though...the stacked page capability should make that possible, unless I'm missing something?

Andy
Old 06-04-2012, 6:12 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
Database Admin

I gave up on the scanner control last night.

I was watching during the nightly pager checks and saw that the voice bypass was actually skipping right over valid paging tones.

I've disabled it knowing that there's the possibility I'll miss pages while other frequencies are carrying voice traffic. Luckily I'm only scanning 4 frequencies so this shouldn't be a big problem.

The EMS pageout and fire pageouts are done on separate frequencies.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 06-05-2012, 5:49 PM

Cool Double Tone Out

Hey Andy (and others that may help!)-
First off, awesome development! This program is fantastic! Been working with it over the last few days and presented my chief with a beta test of it and he LOVES IT! Couldn't have done it without you!
I do have a slight issue though..
Our department is toned out to calls twice (two sets of the same two-tones, then call info) and I've been playing around with the "Wait for 2nd tone B to alert" deal. Got it working so it starts recording after the second set of tones. My problem lies here- we also do daily tests at 1200 and 1900 which are sent out with only one set of two-tones. The program seems to wait the 10s I told it to for the second set of two-tones but when the time is up, it records and sends anyway (despite me saying there's 2 sets then alert). This is causing the "one set tests" to be cut off recording wise. I'm looking for the following solution:
-Not record when there's only one set (after that 10s is up, if it didn't hear a second set, cancel/don't alert and continue monitoring)
Is this currently possible with v55a?
Here's what my tones config looks like:

[Tone1]
Atone = 539
Btone = 296.5
Btonelength = 10
Btonedebounce = 2
Description = Walkerton Fire BETA PAGE
mp3_Emails = email@email.com,email2@email.com
amr_Emails =

Thanks for your work and support!
-Doc
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogizmo007 View Post
Hey Andy (and others that may help!)-
First off, awesome development! This program is fantastic! Been working with it over the last few days and presented my chief with a beta test of it and he LOVES IT! Couldn't have done it without you!
I do have a slight issue though..
Our department is toned out to calls twice (two sets of the same two-tones, then call info) and I've been playing around with the "Wait for 2nd tone B to alert" deal. Got it working so it starts recording after the second set of tones. My problem lies here- we also do daily tests at 1200 and 1900 which are sent out with only one set of two-tones. The program seems to wait the 10s I told it to for the second set of two-tones but when the time is up, it records and sends anyway (despite me saying there's 2 sets then alert). This is causing the "one set tests" to be cut off recording wise. I'm looking for the following solution:
-Not record when there's only one set (after that 10s is up, if it didn't hear a second set, cancel/don't alert and continue monitoring)
Is this currently possible with v55a?
Here's what my tones config looks like:

[Tone1]
Atone = 539
Btone = 296.5
Btonelength = 10
Btonedebounce = 2
Description = Walkerton Fire BETA PAGE
mp3_Emails = email@email.com,email2@email.com
amr_Emails =

Thanks for your work and support!
-Doc
I think using the "ignore_after" parameter may work better for you if I'm understanding the problem correctly. If you add this parameter, the tone set will be ignored for X seconds after it has been detected. You could set this to ignore the 2nd tone in the dual page, but then it would still catch the single page correctly. If I'm misunderstanding or if that doesn't work, let me know.

Andy
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2012, 7:45 PM

Default AMR file format

here is my post , and hope i post in the right place... I have been looking to see how you can improve the AMR quality, it sounds like audio from something run over.. i can create the file and email it in MP3 and cut the audio quality to 1000 and it is very nice audio and gets to the phone pretty quick. But this does not work well with a lot of the phones that people have in the department. but the AMR file format gets me to more phones and faster for this great piece of software. I have been trying to study the ffmpeg and AMR formats but they dont completely tell you, because of the different types of codec. Not sure if you have seen this, but i have run out of directions to travel.

Hopefully you have seen this..
thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
I think using the "ignore_after" parameter may work better for you if I'm understanding the problem correctly. If you add this parameter, the tone set will be ignored for X seconds after it has been detected. You could set this to ignore the 2nd tone in the dual page, but then it would still catch the single page correctly. If I'm misunderstanding or if that doesn't work, let me know.
Close, but, I want it to send e-mail alerts on dual tones ONLY. The tests we don't care about.

On actual calls, our department gets toned, with the same tones, twice:
A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), dispatch message.

On 1200 and 1900 daily tests, tones drop only once:
A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), dispatch (test) message.

I DON'T want the single toneouts (tests) to send but DO want only the double toneouts (calls) to send.

I've tried the exclude_from and exclude_to commands but can only do one set (so either the 1200 or the 1900 test gets blocked).

Thanks for the reply/help!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Close, but, I want it to send e-mail alerts on dual tones ONLY. The tests we don't care about.

On actual calls, our department gets toned, with the same tones, twice:
A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), dispatch message.

On 1200 and 1900 daily tests, tones drop only once:
A-tone, B-tone, break(~2s), dispatch (test) message.

I DON'T want the single toneouts (tests) to send but DO want only the double toneouts (calls) to send.

I've tried the exclude_from and exclude_to commands but can only do one set (so either the 1200 or the 1900 test gets blocked).

Thanks for the reply/help!
Ok I'll have to do some testing with this scenario to see what's going on. I would have thought that your original config would do what you want. What is the time delay between the two sets of tones when you get a call? Could you send me a WAV file of an actual call toneout and a test toneout?

Andy
Old 06-08-2012, 1:42 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Ok I'll have to do some testing with this scenario to see what's going on. I would have thought that your original config would do what you want. What is the time delay between the two sets of tones when you get a call? Could you send me a WAV file of an actual call toneout and a test toneout?

Andy
See, that's what I thought too! I've been racking my brain to try and figure out if you meant something different by those commands or what..

Either way, here you are, good sir: Walkerton Fire Toneouts for Testing.zip
The zip folder contains an MP3 and WAV of both an actual call and a test page.

Just for your knowledge, I generated the tones and placed in static used from recordings (it's typically there during the breaks that I mentioned in the previous post, though the timing of how long varies. Dispatch informed me that they hit the toneout button twice instead of having a dedicated double toneout/call button. This would cause a variance in the amount of time between the two toneouts.. either way, the fastest they would be able to get out the second Btone would be 5 seconds after first Atone found but actual average seems to be 7-9 seconds. I can always use "ignore_after = XX" to clear it so it's ready for the next call down the line.)

Thank you, again, for your help with this. If you care to take this off the forums, feel free to email me at technogizmo007 at yahoo dot com.

-Doc
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
See, that's what I thought too! I've been racking my brain to try and figure out if you meant something different by those commands or what..

Either way, here you are, good sir: Walkerton Fire Toneouts for Testing.zip
The zip folder contains an MP3 and WAV of both an actual call and a test page.

Just for your knowledge, I generated the tones and placed in static used from recordings (it's typically there during the breaks that I mentioned in the previous post, though the timing of how long varies. Dispatch informed me that they hit the toneout button twice instead of having a dedicated double toneout/call button. This would cause a variance in the amount of time between the two toneouts.. either way, the fastest they would be able to get out the second Btone would be 5 seconds after first Atone found but actual average seems to be 7-9 seconds. I can always use "ignore_after = XX" to clear it so it's ready for the next call down the line.)

Thank you, again, for your help with this. If you care to take this off the forums, feel free to email me at technogizmo007 at yahoo dot com.

-Doc
I was able to get it working the way you want by changing Btonedebounce to 3 instead of two.

For some reason in a "single page" scenario the first two samples of audio after the 10 second delay were showing up has having a frequency of 295 Hz, even though it was during speech. I've seen things similar to this in the past and I've never really figured it out. I wonder if it's a sound card buffering issue of some sort. Anyway, try 3 or 4 for that value and see if that does what you're looking for.

A few words of caution for this scenario:
1) I think you're already aware of this, but any significant variations in time between "button pushes" by the dispatcher could cause this to miss pages
2) If the "beginning" of an A-B tone set is found (even if it's from random audio), the program is going to look for that B tone for a full 10 seconds. While it's doing that it's blocked from doing anything else. So if random audio causes it to start looking for a B tone and during that 10 seconds you actually get a "real" page, you'll miss it. The probability of this is pretty low, but it's a possibility.

Andy
Old 06-10-2012, 3:52 PM

Default Utility

Hi, first I'm very excited to learn of this program. A local fire department uses it, and I think it will be invaluable for the ambulance squad I work on. I would like to create a utility that allows crews to sign on/off at the beginning / end of their shift so they only get alerts during their shift.

Unfortunately, I do not program in Python, but mainly in visual basic and PHP. I was hoping to create a little utility in one of those languages, make it web based, that runs in the background, and modifies the cfg file with the email addresses of the current crews.

Before I sit down to work on this, I just wanted to check if there are any issues with doing this, especially terms of licensing, or if you had any plans to do such a thing. I wanted to make it a web based utility (for internal only) because TTD would not be running on a computer accessible to the crews normally.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-10-2012, 9:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtaz76 View Post
Hi, first I'm very excited to learn of this program. A local fire department uses it, and I think it will be invaluable for the ambulance squad I work on. I would like to create a utility that allows crews to sign on/off at the beginning / end of their shift so they only get alerts during their shift.

Unfortunately, I do not program in Python, but mainly in visual basic and PHP. I was hoping to create a little utility in one of those languages, make it web based, that runs in the background, and modifies the cfg file with the email addresses of the current crews.

Before I sit down to work on this, I just wanted to check if there are any issues with doing this, especially terms of licensing, or if you had any plans to do such a thing. I wanted to make it a web based utility (for internal only) because TTD would not be running on a computer accessible to the crews normally.

Thanks,
Chris
Go for it. A few versions back I made a modification to allow this sort of thing. Every time a tone set is detected the program will recheck the tones.cfg file to update the email address list, so if your utility adds or removes email addresses from that file, it should work for you.

Andy
Old 06-11-2012, 1:37 PM
wizard of odd
Database Admin

I have 4 sound cards running. I'm trying to play an alert after the tones are detected and play while recording. I finally got the .bat file to work and play a sound- I was trying to find a way to make it play a sound in the background without popping up a player. I ended up using playwav10. It opens up a box but closes it as soon as it's done. Not ideal, but I'll live with it.

But for some reason I cannot hear what it is recording. I have the "playback during recording" box checked but it doesn't do anything. I've tried all the output devices too. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2012, 6:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Hi Andy/all

One quick question, I am trying to get my Win7 computer to do a reboot and restart TTD and Scannercast in Task Scheduler. The reboot is simple and works as well as restarting Scannercast. However TTD will not restart. This something that Task Scheduler can't do? Do I need a script of some sort? I am using the .exe file to restart. Any thoughts?
Old 06-11-2012, 6:24 PM
wizard of odd
Database Admin

Just put a shortcut in the startup folder. Works for me.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2012, 6:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffexpCP View Post
Just put a shortcut in the startup folder. Works for me.
I've tried that, this is an unattended computer with several accounts. So far that didn't work, but thanks for the idea.
Old 06-17-2012, 4:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've been using it, and now I'm putting my FD on it, so this will be a nice test. Just a thought, have you thought about adding a couple features, like

- Ending page recording after a certain tone? Our FD sets off the sirens following the pages with a separate tone, so that would be nice so there's not a lot of dead space.
- Creating a check-in interface. We were originally going to go with the Firehorn software for our FD, but how hard would it be to create a "check-in" interface, where once the voice page is sent, you send back a message with "Y" or "N" and it sends a message saying "XXXX responding" or "XXXX not responding".
Old 06-20-2012, 5:25 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default process self terminates moments after started

Hi, I was hoping for some help. I have been running the software on my computer using it for both email forwarding and batch files, I have it set up to a code I wrote out that makes my scroll lock light flash a few seconds which I took apart an old keyboard and hooked up the LED to an automotive relay which I have set to control a bell as well an audio file that starts up and plays an alert through my station. (AWESOME CREATION BY THE WAY!!!! This software is the software I have been looking for, for a long time) but my problem is I added more emails to the Tones file and ever since then the exe file won't start, I redownloaded the original formats and restarted my pc and everything and not even that will work. I noticed in the task managers the process will come up as two processes for a few seconds and seems to self terminate. Im not to sure why its doing it. Like I said, I even tried redownloading the default software and running completly default and it still will start. I'm not to sure whats going on but it was working fine about two hours ago.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantzc93 View Post
Hi, I was hoping for some help. I have been running the software on my computer using it for both email forwarding and batch files, I have it set up to a code I wrote out that makes my scroll lock light flash a few seconds which I took apart an old keyboard and hooked up the LED to an automotive relay which I have set to control a bell as well an audio file that starts up and plays an alert through my station. (AWESOME CREATION BY THE WAY!!!! This software is the software I have been looking for, for a long time) but my problem is I added more emails to the Tones file and ever since then the exe file won't start, I redownloaded the original formats and restarted my pc and everything and not even that will work. I noticed in the task managers the process will come up as two processes for a few seconds and seems to self terminate. Im not to sure why its doing it. Like I said, I even tried redownloading the default software and running completly default and it still will start. I'm not to sure whats going on but it was working fine about two hours ago.
Have you ran the debug .exe from the command line to see if you are getting any output?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaples View Post
Have you ran the debug .exe from the command line to see if you are getting any output?
What Ken said. It's most likely having trouble parsing the tones.cfg file. Probably some simple formatting issue with the emails that were added. Open a command prompt window, navigate to the directory, and run the _debug.exe version of the program...that should tell you what the error is.

Andy

Tags
twotonedetect