RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM

I ended up having a problem or two with this program but with some troubleshooting, I think I squashed the bugs i was having. let my share with you what I have descovered. I'm useing a Radio Shack 2066 mobile scanner for my dedicated scan for my Fire Frequency. On the back, there is a Line out jack (standard headphone jack). I have that plugged directly into the Line IN on my sound card. Got the software configured and such, and come radio test night, the tone rolls out, and i get extra audio than what's on my scanner. At first, I thoght the TTD program was kicking on the microphone and recording off of all audio inputs. So I sat down and listened the recording, and played it again, and again. Then I played with different audio recording programs other than TTD. (I love audacity, highly recomended). As it turns out the audio that was recorded was strictly from my line in audio. So as it turns out, the internal speaker that is inside the scanner was doubling as a microphone. It would pick up all the ambiance noise, (television, people talking in the background, 3 year old yelling at the pager for going off). I had to take my scanner apart and unplug the speaker (thankfully it was just a quick connect). It's worked perfectly since. Wanted to share this story with every other user for TTD, just incase somebody runs into the same problem.
Sponsored links

Old 01-30-2013, 5:20 PM

Andy,

Has there also been a change in the calculation of the tone tolerance in v59? I have 2 A tones that are very close and when the tolerance is set too high (1%) the tone is incorrectly identified prior to v59. In v59, it actually identified both tone sets (very cool) but it should have only seen one. It seems that my tone tolerance of .5% is not being calculated.

With .5% I expect the A tones to have no over lap:
795 (791.025 - 798.975)
806 (801.97 - 810.03)
Old 01-30-2013, 8:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I use the VU indicators in Wavepad sound editor to set my audio levels but any flavour of recording or editing software will do. I set the scanner to the local weather station and adjust the audio on the scanner and or the record settings in the windows volume properties until the audio peaks around -3db. The key is not to over drive the sound card so I try not to go over 1/4 way when feeding the sound card from the external speaker or headphone jack of the scanner. One thing you never want enabled is the AGC or mic gain, either will make the audio sound terrible.

If there's enough interest I can fire up a tutorial on how to set your levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiss06 View Post
Hello,
I posted 2 previous times (I'm a new user) and I'm not sure where they ended up as I can't find them anywhere.

I've installed Two Tone on a few different computers and I'm having a problem with the audio level that is sent out in the text messages and email. I have the scanner audio turned up at least 3/4 the way and I've tried it up all the way. It seems like it has a low audio level. I guy from another department let me listen to his and it is 5 times louder so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried 3 different computers (2 different brands) all with built-in sound cards. I have used two different scanners and even a fire pager with amplifier. The only thing that was consistent was the cable that was used. Last night I bought a new cable and hooked it up and the audio is a little louder but not much.

I have the scanner hooked up with the audio cable into the Line In port on the back of the computer.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to change to get the audio sound louder so that it can be heard without difficulty.

You can also email me at jweiss@willard-oh.com to help walk me through this if you are able to.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
It looks like it's not seeing a tones.cfg file in the same directory as the program.

Andy
ok sir, i will check the root. maybe when i saved the tone.cfg i accidently saved it as a txt file. i'll you know tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2013, 7:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordike84 View Post
Andy,

We are running 6 depts on v58 we just upgraded from v53. All of our freq in the county are extremely close. We have adjusted the btone length to weed out the false pages caused by the B tone but some are hitting because of the A tone. Any suggestions on what we can do to avoid this??

This program is amazing and we have had no other issues besides the false pages. Thank you for providing it.
I'm not very clear on what exactly you're describing. Can you explain the issue in a little more detail?

Thanks,

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2013, 7:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiss06 View Post
Hello,
I posted 2 previous times (I'm a new user) and I'm not sure where they ended up as I can't find them anywhere.

I've installed Two Tone on a few different computers and I'm having a problem with the audio level that is sent out in the text messages and email. I have the scanner audio turned up at least 3/4 the way and I've tried it up all the way. It seems like it has a low audio level. I guy from another department let me listen to his and it is 5 times louder so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried 3 different computers (2 different brands) all with built-in sound cards. I have used two different scanners and even a fire pager with amplifier. The only thing that was consistent was the cable that was used. Last night I bought a new cable and hooked it up and the audio is a little louder but not much.

I have the scanner hooked up with the audio cable into the Line In port on the back of the computer.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to change to get the audio sound louder so that it can be heard without difficulty.

You can also email me at jweiss@willard-oh.com to help walk me through this if you are able to.

Thanks,
John
First, make sure you have the correct input selected. If you're using the Line In input but actually have connected your scanner to the Mic input, you may get enough bleed over between the inputs that the program will trigger but the audio will be very low. Second, if you're sending to phones, try using the AMR format instead of MP3, it seems to work better on some phones.

Andy

Old 01-31-2013, 7:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaples View Post
Andy,

Has there also been a change in the calculation of the tone tolerance in v59? I have 2 A tones that are very close and when the tolerance is set too high (1%) the tone is incorrectly identified prior to v59. In v59, it actually identified both tone sets (very cool) but it should have only seen one. It seems that my tone tolerance of .5% is not being calculated.

With .5% I expect the A tones to have no over lap:
795 (791.025 - 798.975)
806 (801.97 - 810.03)
The tolerance calculation hasn't changed, but the rest of the algorithm has. In v58, it would alert on whichever of the two it came across first when looping through the tone sets. In v59 it will alert any any sets it detects when looping through the tone sets. So if you had removed one of the tone sets in v58 it probably would have alerted on the other one, but it wouldn't alert on both.

As for the .5%, you're correct I wouldn't expect any overlap. I may need to dig in and see if there's any rounding or truncation going on that might be causing issues with very tight tolerances.

Andy

Old 01-31-2013, 7:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default v59 Algorithm Change Details

Hi everyone,

Here are some details on how the algorithm has changed from v58 to v59. Refer to the picture below. The program samples audio in 200 millisecond chunks. In v58 and prior, the program basically looked for the beginning (2 samples = .4 seconds) of the A tone and the waited and looked for the end of the B tone (depending on Btonelength and Btonedebounce), ignoring what was in between. In v59, the program is looking at the area around the A-B transition. In other words, the end of the A tone and the beginning of the B tone, depending on Atonelength (set to .4 seconds if not specified) and Btonelength. In theory this should make the algorithm more flexible and more reliable. Here's where I'm looking for feedback:

1) Are there areas where the paging system puts a gap between the A and B tones? I think this is extremely rare, but may happen with some systems. If this occurs, I may need to add a "gaplength" optional parameter to the algorithm to handle this situation.
2) If anyone is having issues with missed pages with v59, please email me your log.txt file from the missed page. That will be extremely helpful. A audio recording of the event would also be great.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The tolerance calculation hasn't changed, but the rest of the algorithm has. In v58, it would alert on whichever of the two it came across first when looping through the tone sets. In v59 it will alert any any sets it detects when looping through the tone sets. So if you had removed one of the tone sets in v58 it probably would have alerted on the other one, but it wouldn't alert on both.

As for the .5%, you're correct I wouldn't expect any overlap. I may need to dig in and see if there's any rounding or truncation going on that might be causing issues with very tight tolerances.

Andy
Please let me know if I can provide you any other data\details. I found that I have two additional tone sets that are in this same condition. 642 and 634
Sponsored links

Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am testing the 59 version and all is working ok with 1 exception. To monitor, i am using an woxoun uvd1p dual band radio with ems on side A and fire on side B. That has worked out good at capturing the pages for both since they are 2 different frequencies. Took a little tweaking but that end including the volume is working perfect. The issue im having is my email address is set under mp3 for both tones, but when I recieve the message on my galaxy s III, I am receiving the .mp3 and the .amr. There are no email addy's under the .amr. Anyone experiencing the same thing? I can post the log file, but will be later this evening. Currently our fire dept. is using the software from Comtekk, which isnt detecting the tones most of the time, and I can't seem to get anyone from tech support on that issue. We are looking to move our current system from comtekk to TTD if we can get everything configured and operational.
Old 01-31-2013, 1:12 PM

So because this is no longer open-source, that means that I will never be able to get it working on my Mac. Is that correct?
Old 01-31-2013, 4:41 PM

Hello,

I have Two Tone v59 up and running and it's detecting the tones, records and emails out very nice. I had the initial issue with the low audio sound. The sound is louder now, but it seems to have static during the recording. I'm not sure if it is the location inside the fire station or if as mentioned earlier that the speaker is working as a mic (didn't hear any background noises though) or if there are still other settings that I need to check.

If you could give me some directions or the video on VU indicators in Wavepad that would be great. I did change audio cables and that seemed to help. I found out that the first cable I was trying to use was an audio dubbing cable and I now have a stereo audio cable that I'm using. Does this need to be a mono cable or does it really matter?

I do have all of the emails going out to the AMR settings and that is working great.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and feedback, I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-31-2013, 5:09 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0622 View Post
I am testing the 59 version and all is working ok with 1 exception. To monitor, i am using an woxoun uvd1p dual band radio with ems on side A and fire on side B. That has worked out good at capturing the pages for both since they are 2 different frequencies. Took a little tweaking but that end including the volume is working perfect. The issue im having is my email address is set under mp3 for both tones, but when I recieve the message on my galaxy s III, I am receiving the .mp3 and the .amr. There are no email addy's under the .amr. Anyone experiencing the same thing? I can post the log file, but will be later this evening. Currently our fire dept. is using the software from Comtekk, which isnt detecting the tones most of the time, and I can't seem to get anyone from tech support on that issue. We are looking to move our current system from comtekk to TTD if we can get everything configured and operational.

Can you also post your tones.cfg file? That would be most helpful in figuring this out.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[Tone1]
Atone = 2805 ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 1180 ;B tone frequency in Hz
Btonelength = 3 ;Length of time to wait to check again for the B tone after finding it the first time
Btonedebounce = 0 ;Value between 0 and 4 that specifies how many times in a row the B tone must be detected in order to alert
Description = Electra Fire Dept ;Tone set description
mp3_Emails = ###@pm.sprint.com
ignore_after = 60 ;Optional parameter. Number of seconds to ignore tone set after a valid set is detected.

[Tone2]
Atone = 708 ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 833 ;B tone frequency in Hz
Btonelength = 3 ;Length of time to wait to check again for the B tone after finding it the first time
Description = Kamay Fire Dept ;Tone set description
mp3_Emails = ###@pm.sprint.com ;Email addresses to send mp3 attachment to. Separate with commas
exclude_from = 13:25 ;Optional parameter. Starting time of day at which tone set will not send emails to addresses in the exclude_emails field. Use 24 hour time format
exclude_to = 13:35 ;Optional parameter. Ending time of day at which otne set will note send emails to addresses in the exclude_emails field. Use 24 hour time format
Btonedebounce = 0
ignore_after = 60

[Tone3]
Atone = 565 ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 1233 ;B tone frequency in Hz
Btonelength = 3 ;B tone length in seconds - make this as short as possible but long enough to prevent falsing
Description = Iowa Park Fire Dept ;Tone set description
mp3_emails = ###@pm.sprint.com ;Email addresses to send mp3 attachment to. Separate with commas
Btonedebounce = 0
ignore_after = 60

;ADD MORE TONE SETS HERE USING THE SAME FORMAT AS ABOVE

[Tone4]
Atone = 460
Btone = 433
Btonelength = 3
Description = Electra Ems
mp3_emails = ###@pm.sprint.com
Btonedebounce = 0
ignore_after = 60

[Longtone1]
Longtone = 692
Longtonelength = 3
Description = Cameron Gardens FD
mp3_emails =
Longtonedebounce = 0
ignore_after = 60
Old 01-31-2013, 5:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This section is taken from the log file:

Electra Ems Tone Set Found
Succesfully retrieved local tone info
Tone1
Tone2
Tone3
Tone4
Tone5
delay timer Electra Ems 08:11:15
waiting for audio Electra Ems 08:11:16
recording audio Electra Ems 08:11:22
done writing WAV Electra Ems 08:11:50
done converting to MP3 Electra Ems 08:11:50
MP3 Email sent! Electra Ems page received at 08:11:50 08:11:58

That is just for the ems, but im recieving the .mp3 and .amr on my phone for all the departments listed in the tones config
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2013, 5:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
[Tone1]
Atone = 2805 ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 1180 ;B tone frequency in Hz
Btonedebounce = 0 ;Value between 0 and 4 that specifies how many times in a row the B tone must be detected in order to alert
Description = Electra Fire Dept ;Tone set description
mp3_Emails = ###@pm.sprint.com
ignore_after = 60 ;Optional parameter. Number of seconds to ignore tone set after a valid set is detected.
Steve-
It appears as though you are attempting to send an mp3 email to a mobile phone. With the MMS text message e-mail address you have in there, it is trying to send the mp3 to a text message. I dont think that will work. You can correct this 1 of 2 ways.
1. Change the mp3 email address to a real email, then you can play the mp3's off the email. The mobile gmail app works great for this.
2. Add a line in the config for this: "amr_Emails = ###@pm.sprint.com". You also need to make sure you have ffmpeg installed in the same directory. This will then take the mp3 file, convert it to an AMR file, and then send it via MMS to your cell phone in a text message.

I have my Galaxy SIII setup this way and it works great. A while ago when I upgraded to Jelly Bean, when it would play the AMR file it would only play for 8 seconds. I found this was a problem with the stock Android messaging system and was common. I changed my default text messaging app to Handcent Messenger, and now it will play the full length AMR file in the MMS message with no problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Here are some details on how the algorithm has changed from v58 to v59. Refer to the picture below. The program samples audio in 200 millisecond chunks. In v58 and prior, the program basically looked for the beginning (2 samples = .4 seconds) of the A tone and the waited and looked for the end of the B tone (depending on Btonelength and Btonedebounce), ignoring what was in between. In v59, the program is looking at the area around the A-B transition. In other words, the end of the A tone and the beginning of the B tone, depending on Atonelength (set to .4 seconds if not specified) and Btonelength. In theory this should make the algorithm more flexible and more reliable. Here's where I'm looking for feedback:

1) Are there areas where the paging system puts a gap between the A and B tones? I think this is extremely rare, but may happen with some systems. If this occurs, I may need to add a "gaplength" optional parameter to the algorithm to handle this situation.
2) If anyone is having issues with missed pages with v59, please email me your log.txt file from the missed page. That will be extremely helpful. A audio recording of the event would also be great.

Thanks,

Andy

A couple questions, andy.

1. Atonelength. From your diagram it appears that this value is actually the time between when the program detects audio until it starts looking for the A tone. The "don't care" bit in the v59 schematic. Is that correct? Or am i being confused by the fact that you state Atonelength is 0.4 by default and then show it to be 0.6 (three 200ms blocks). Or does the program know that the A tone is typically 1 sec long and then it subtracts the Atonelength parameter to determine where it should start looking for the A tone? Sorry if i am confusing the issue here but i am just having trouble getting my head around this.

2. So then Btonelength is the length of time that it will look for the B tone, alerting when it finds (btonelength value) 200ms samples that match B tone?

I am still running v56 and v59 concurrently without any further issues other than the missed page we discussed a couple days ago.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That sounds reasonable...I'm using GOSMSPRO as the message app instead of the default app. When I recieve the messages, both the mp3 and amr will play for the full 30 seconds, but i will try what you have listed and see what difference that makes. Thanks a bunch putterizer. I just thought of something though, i have always had the ffmpeg in the directory, with phone number in the mp3 section. If i remove the ffmpeg from the directory, would it then just send the .mp3? Also, the ffmpeg is it strictly being used in this app to convert mp3 to amr?
Old 01-31-2013, 6:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
if i remove the ffmpeg from the directory, would it then just send the .mp3? Also, the ffmpeg is it strictly being used in this app to convert mp3 to amr?
I am not sure on the answer to your first question. If you only want an mp3 sent, I would send it to a regular email and not a mms text address.
Ffmpeg is used to convert from mp3 to amr, so if ffmpeg is not installed, it can not send an amr because it will never do the conversion.
Old 01-31-2013, 6:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
A couple questions, andy.

1. Atonelength. From your diagram it appears that this value is actually the time between when the program detects audio until it starts looking for the A tone. The "don't care" bit in the v59 schematic. Is that correct? Or am i being confused by the fact that you state Atonelength is 0.4 by default and then show it to be 0.6 (three 200ms blocks). Or does the program know that the A tone is typically 1 sec long and then it subtracts the Atonelength parameter to determine where it should start looking for the A tone? Sorry if i am confusing the issue here but i am just having trouble getting my head around this.

2. So then Btonelength is the length of time that it will look for the B tone, alerting when it finds (btonelength value) 200ms samples that match B tone?

I am still running v56 and v59 concurrently without any further issues other than the missed page we discussed a couple days ago.
1) Yes, I'm confusing you with the picture. The picture shows an A tone length of .6 seconds.

2) Unlike v58, the program doesn't wait before looking for the Btone. Once the A tone is over, it expects the Btone to begin immediately (with no gap between tones), and it has to be continuously present for the length of Btonelength in order for the alert to be generated.

Andy

Tags
twotonedetect