RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Re: New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjccoonn View Post

I'm also wondering if anybody is using follow and for what?

alert_command = c:\test.bat;Optional parameter. Command to run immediately after the tone is detected
I use this option to call a powershell script that sends a push notification. This way I get a notification almost immediately, and know to prep for an incoming page.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 2:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjccoonn View Post
Would it be possible to add a print feature into the tone editor part, along with the ability to change entries without having to add and delete to make change's to address.

I'm also wondering if anybody is using follow and for what?

alert_command = c:\test.bat ;Optional parameter. Command to run immediately after the tone is detected

post_email_command = c:\test2.bat ;Optional parameter. Command to run after tone has been detected and emails have been sent

Thanks
J
What are you looking to print exactly? If you want to print all of your tone config information, you can open the tones.cfg file in any text editor and print it.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 02-02-2013, 8:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaples View Post
I use this option to call a powershell script that sends a push notification. This way I get a notification almost immediately, and know to prep for an incoming page.
Ken,

Would you be willing to share details on your script? I know others have asked about push notifications, sounds like you have a way to do it.

Andy

Old 02-02-2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Ken,

Would you be willing to share details on your script? I know others have asked about push notifications, sounds like you have a way to do it.

Andy

I can send all the details of the script that I am using when I get back, but I did it the lazy way and used Pushover. It supports iOS and Android. You do have to pay for the client one time, but it is quick and simple.
Old 02-02-2013, 9:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaples View Post
I can send all the details of the script that I am using when I get back, but I did it the lazy way and used Pushover. It supports iOS and Android. You do have to pay for the client one time, but it is quick and simple.
So, since I'm a luddite who doesn't have a smartphone yet, is push notification quicker than a text-only text (i.e. using the text_emails option of the program)?

Andy

Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
So, since I'm a luddite who doesn't have a smartphone yet, is push notification quicker than a text-only text (i.e. using the text_emails option of the program)?

Andy
Push notification is very quick for me. I usually get it in less than 2 seconds from the end of the B tone. However it is not that much faster to be the only justification for the expense of upgrading to a smart device and plan.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Had a weird thing happen tonight on a pager test. The one station did a pager test and the program picked it up no problems but 8 seconds after it detected the page it was doing its thing but then it picked up another depts tones and started recording it as well. Problem is the second dept is the dept I am on and we did not have a pager test or a call.
This is the first time this has happened and it seems as though it thought it was a stacked page. Should I possibly change the Btone debounce for the first station to prevent this from happening again. I have it set for zero right now but have had no issues with falsing.

On another note we had a call the other day and requested mutual aid from another dept and I also have their pages going out from my computer along with my dept and one other. When they were toned for mutual aid the program did not catch their page but it did catch it when they did a page from their hall. They quite often do this. Is it possible the program did not catch the initial page out for them due to the radio traffic at my depts call.

Anyone else have this or any thoughts

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 8:33 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Smoky13 - if the second problem you are describing is that TTD did not trip on tone sent from a different transmitter than usual (where it does trip), I have had a similar issue. In my area, one department apparently overmodulates their tones. The signal is very strong (no noise), the tones are "loud and clear" to the human ear, and i have exact frequencies, but the program would never detect them. I finally watched the tones on a spectrum analyzer and could see they were not "pure", so on a whim, I changed the tone settings to the third harmonic and now it works fine every single time.

Incidentally, I assumed this was a consequence of a crappy sound card in the computer, but after I had to change the computer out the same situation was present. I suspect the department transmitter is actually overdriving/overmodulating the tones resulting in just enough distortion that the frequency gets aliased and is rich in third harmonic content.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodson View Post
Smoky13 - if the second problem you are describing is that TTD did not trip on tone sent from a different transmitter than usual (where it does trip), I have had a similar issue. In my area, one department apparently overmodulates their tones. The signal is very strong (no noise), the tones are "loud and clear" to the human ear, and i have exact frequencies, but the program would never detect them. I finally watched the tones on a spectrum analyzer and could see they were not "pure", so on a whim, I changed the tone settings to the third harmonic and now it works fine every single time.

Incidentally, I assumed this was a consequence of a crappy sound card in the computer, but after I had to change the computer out the same situation was present. I suspect the department transmitter is actually overdriving/overmodulating the tones resulting in just enough distortion that the frequency gets aliased and is rich in third harmonic content.
Thanks for the info. All 3 depts I have programned in come off the same transmitter about 1.5km from my house.
like I said this is the very first time it has happened. I am using V56 what parameter would you suggest I change if it happens again?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

others may have better suggestions, but my first thought would be to loosen up (increase) the tone tolerance
Old 02-03-2013, 3:28 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm testing 59a, and using the Longtone, it appears the ignore feature is being ignored.
Here is my log from a 2 (stacked) page that just went out:

City Fire Dept 1 page received at 15:48:23
City Fire Dept 2 page received at 15:48:23
City Fire Dept 2 page received at 15:48:20
City Fire Dept 1 page received at 15:48:20

Here is a copy of my tones.cfg

[Longtone2]
Longtone = 699.0
Longtonelength = 2
Longtonedebounce = 0
Description = City Fire Dept 1
mp3_emails = myemailaddress
amr_Emails = myemailaddress
ignore_after = 60
Old 02-03-2013, 4:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Script

I am also interested in the script, are you going to post it or PM it?
Joe
Old 02-03-2013, 6:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky13 View Post
Had a weird thing happen tonight on a pager test. The one station did a pager test and the program picked it up no problems but 8 seconds after it detected the page it was doing its thing but then it picked up another depts tones and started recording it as well. Problem is the second dept is the dept I am on and we did not have a pager test or a call.
This is the first time this has happened and it seems as though it thought it was a stacked page. Should I possibly change the Btone debounce for the first station to prevent this from happening again. I have it set for zero right now but have had no issues with falsing.

On another note we had a call the other day and requested mutual aid from another dept and I also have their pages going out from my computer along with my dept and one other. When they were toned for mutual aid the program did not catch their page but it did catch it when they did a page from their hall. They quite often do this. Is it possible the program did not catch the initial page out for them due to the radio traffic at my depts call.

Anyone else have this or any thoughts

Thanks
Smokey,

Your second problem described above can be the result of many different things. if things are normally working okay and this was an isolated instance, I wouldn't worry about it. Your program normally catches the tones for the neighboring department, correct? If this continues to be a problem get a recording and analyze the sound spectrum in it. Also listen for audio drop outs, interference, etc.

I have had issues with third harmonic also on one tone set. In my case that makes that one departments tones essentially impossible to detect. I have had luck also changing to the value of the third harmonic and it works about 60% of the time.

I have 27 tone sets in the program (v56) and I set them all at Btonelength=2 Btonedebounce=2. I am surprised that you are not having more issues with the debounce set to 0. The tricky ones to figure out are when one department's tones go out and the program sends the emails to another department. I have had a few instances of that happening.
Old 02-03-2013, 6:53 PM

Here is the script that I am using for push notifications. It requires PowerShell 3, and is mostly unchanged from the example found on Pushover's site. I call the script as an alert command with the variable [d] to pass the description. This could allow for added logic to the script to send an alert to different people for each tone set. At this point, I am the only one that I push alerts to so I have not done anything for that logic.

$description = $args[0]

Function PushOver
{
$uri = "https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json"
$parameters = @{
priority = 1
token = "app token goes here"
user = "$usertoken"
title = "TwoToneDetect"
message = "Page - $description"
}
$parameters | Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Method Post
}

$usertoken = "User token"
PushOver $usertoken

# If you have additional users, set $usertoken again and call the function for each one.

For this to work, you will need to register for an account (free) and create an application (free). The application creation allows to to set the icon that will display and alert for the notifications. To receive the notification on Android or iOS you will need to purchase the app (NOT free). https://pushover.net/

If anyone knows of any other service, please let me know. This is just what I have found so far.
Old 02-03-2013, 6:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thank you
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
I'm testing 59a, and using the Longtone, it appears the ignore feature is being ignored.
Here is my log from a 2 (stacked) page that just went out:

City Fire Dept 2 page received at 15:48:23

Here is a copy of my tones.cfg

[Longtone2]
Longtone = 699.0
Longtonelength = 2
Longtonedebounce = 0
Description = City Fire Dept 1
mp3_emails = myemailaddress
amr_Emails = myemailaddress
ignore_after = 60
What does the entry in tones.cfg for Fire Dept 2 look like?

Andy

Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A few more comments on the v58 vs v59 algorithm.

One of the potential issues with the v58 algorithm is that if an A tone is detected, the program looks for a B tone for 4 seconds. This means that if it falses on an A tone due to voice traffic or other sounds (knox box tones, post-page "warble tones", etc.) and a "real" A tone is sent within the next 4 seconds, it won't trigger on the "real" A tone since it's busy looking for a B tone from the false detection. The v59 algorithm avoids this, and also avoids issues with A-B, B-A type situations (although v58 is better at handling that than previous versions).

Gaps between the A and B tone will cause issues for v59, but I can fix that if anyone runs into it. Gaps anywhere else during the tone set have a chance of causing issues for v58 or v59, it just depends where the gap falls.

It seems like some people are having issues with multiple long tone detection in v59, which I can't seem to duplicate yet. One potential solution is to make the Longtonelength equal to the actual tone length, but that may increase the chance of missed pages since it essentially requires that every audio sample within the Longtonelength to be within the tone tolerance.

Anyway, still looking for more feedback on v59.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
What are you looking to print exactly? If you want to print all of your tone config information, you can open the tones.cfg file in any text editor and print it.

Andy
I have done that, i just though if I could easily select a group and print out all the address associated to the group. No biggie, i usually just copy, paste delete the unwanted info and print from there.

Thanks for a great product.

J
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
What does the entry in tones.cfg for Fire Dept 2 look like?

Andy
The exact same, expect for
Longtone = 666.0
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
The exact same, expect for
Longtone = 666.0
What are you using for your tone tolerance, and what is the actual length of the Long Tones when they are sent? I seems strange to me that it's detecting both departments at the exact same time.

Andy

Tags
twotonedetect