RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 4:40 PM

Hey everyone, I just switched from version 57 to version 59 and it is not picking up anything. Everything is set up the same and it is not detecting the tones. It was detecting the tones in 57. Also in version 57 some tones are not being picked up and i think it is because the hz are close to the same in each tone. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

[Tone2]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1153.4
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 1
Btonedebounce = 3
radio_frequency = 460.575
ignore_after = 30
mp3_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com
amr_emails = 781xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
exclude_from = 07:55
exclude_to = 08:10
exclude_emails = bosxxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzw...x@vzw pix.com

[Tone3]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1185.2
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 2
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
mp3_emails = boxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
amr_emails = 508xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpi x.com

[Tone4]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1217.8
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 3
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 781xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxxxx@vz...x@v zwpix.com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,857xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com

[Tone5]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1251.4
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 4
mp3_emails = boxxxxxx@gmail.com
amr_emails = 508xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,781xxxxxxxxx@v...xxx@vzwpix.com
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzwpi...x@vzwp ix.com

[Tone6]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1901
Btonelength = 3
Description = Box
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 781xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxx@vzwp...x@vzwp ix.com
exclude_emails = bosxxxxxx@gmail.com,857xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com

[Tone7]
Atone = 1251.4
Btone = 1901
Btonelength = 3
Description = Chief_Deputy
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
exclude_emails = boxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpix .com

[Tone8]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1357.6
Btonelength = 3
Description = Tech Rescue
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
mp3_emails = bosxxxxxx@gmail.com
amr_emails = 78xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpix .com

[Tone9]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1285.5
Btonelength = 3
Description = Medic
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 508xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpi...x@vzwpix .com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxxf@gmail.com,857xxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2013, 4:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nette268 View Post
Hey everyone, I just switched from version 57 to version 59 and it is not picking up anything. Everything is set up the same and it is not detecting the tones. It was detecting the tones in 57. Also in version 57 some tones are not being picked up and i think it is because the hz are close to the same in each tone. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

[Tone2]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1153.4
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 1
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 781xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
exclude_emails = bosxxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzw...x@vzw pix.com

[Tone3]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1185.2
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 2
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpi x.com

[Tone4]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1217.8
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 3
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 781xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxxxx@vz...x@v zwpix.com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,857xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com

[Tone5]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1251.4
Btonelength = 3
Description = Duty Squad 4
amr_emails = 508xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,781xxxxxxxxx@v...xxx@vzwpix.com
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzwpi...x@vzwp ix.com

[Tone6]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1901
Btonelength = 3
Description = Box
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 781xxxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxx@vzwp...x@vzwp ix.com
exclude_emails = bosxxxxxx@gmail.com,857xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com

[Tone7]
Atone = 1251.4
Btone = 1901
Btonelength = 3
Description = Chief_Deputy
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
exclude_emails = boxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpix .com

[Tone8]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1357.6
Btonelength = 3
Description = Tech Rescue
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
mp3_emails = bosxxxxxx@gmail.com
amr_emails = 78xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,508xxxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxx@gmail.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpix...x@vzwpix .com

[Tone9]
Atone = 1743
Btone = 1285.5
Btonelength = 3
Description = Medic
Btonedebounce = 3
ignore_after = 30
amr_emails = 508xxxxxx@vzwpix.com,781xxxxxx@vzwpi...x@vzwpix .com
exclude_emails = boxxxxxxxf@gmail.com,857xxxxxx@vzwpi...xxx@vzwpix.com
When they transmit the tones, is there any gap between the A tone and B tone? If so, that will cause a problem with v59. You can also try decreasing Btonelength to 1 second, that may help for v59 (would not recommend doing that for v58 and prior).

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 02-24-2013, 5:21 PM

There is no gap between the A and B tone.
Old 02-24-2013, 6:52 PM

Question Canadian Email

Is anyone having trouble getting attachments to go through the various Canadian sms/mms gateways? Many of my recipients are getting this message instead of the audio attachment...
"A MIME attachment of type <audio/mpeg> was removed here by a drop-attachments-by-f"
This happens whether the audio is wav mp3 or amr.
Emails to regular email addresses go through fine, just not to the cell phones.
Anybody have any ideas?
Old 02-24-2013, 7:00 PM
DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
You said you are monitoring 3 frequencies, are you scanning? If so maybe the dispatcher lets the carrier drop after the tones then your scanner starts scanning again and then gets the audio late which could cause you to miss a few words.
Good thought, but I don't think that's it. I am scanning the three frequencies, and occasionally the carrier does drop between the time the B tone ends and the dispatcher does start talking. If so, I would assume to hear "dead air" in the recording. What I hear is the little snip of B-tone, and then immediately after the dispatcher speaking in mid-dispatch, having missed a few seconds in the recording.

I did reduce the BToneLength variable to 1 and eliminate the Btonedebounce variable from the tones file. I still consistently notice the missed audio between B-tone and dispatch.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2013, 4:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Good thought, but I don't think that's it. I am scanning the three frequencies, and occasionally the carrier does drop between the time the B tone ends and the dispatcher does start talking. If so, I would assume to hear "dead air" in the recording. What I hear is the little snip of B-tone, and then immediately after the dispatcher speaking in mid-dispatch, having missed a few seconds in the recording.

I did reduce the BToneLength variable to 1 and eliminate the Btonedebounce variable from the tones file. I still consistently notice the missed audio between B-tone and dispatch.
So is your issue like portions of the audio are simply missing? Do you notice any of portions of missed audio making it almost sound like someone ran it in fast forward? I had this problem a while back making some of the audio recordings almost unintelligible. Rebooting the computer seemed to fix it so i was suspecting a sound card problem. I now have the computer set to reboot automatically every second day and haven't had the issue again.
Old 02-26-2013, 7:36 AM
DB Administrator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
So is your issue like portions of the audio are simply missing? Do you notice any of portions of missed audio making it almost sound like someone ran it in fast forward? I had this problem a while back making some of the audio recordings almost unintelligible. Rebooting the computer seemed to fix it so i was suspecting a sound card problem. I now have the computer set to reboot automatically every second day and haven't had the issue again.
That's correct, several seconds of audio are missing in the recording. It jumps immediately from the snip of B-tone audio to a point several seconds later, usually mid-way through the dispatch. There is no "dead air" audio in between or "fast-forward" sounding audio.

Running this configuration for several days now, I note that is it not consistent. There are times when the program records all the audio with no "skip". At this point I'd estimate that 75% of the recordings have the skipped audio, while 25% do not. The tone sets that have skip are not consistent - sometimes a tone-set recording will be complete (no skip), other times the recording will skip the few seconds of audio.

I have rebooted numerous times in the process with no change. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:30 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Andy,

I've upgraded to v59a, and so far no problems with page detection... the only thing is the "Control Scanner" function doesn't seem to work anymore... In the config file Control Scanner = 1, but in the GUI, the box is not checked (and checking it and saving it does not keep it checked), and it doesn't seem to be controlling the scanner (nothing in the log liked "pressed scan" or "sent GLG request"). V58 still seems to be controlling the scanner on the same setup (BCD996T, USB1 Cable on correct COM port, Windows XP)

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:51 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
That's correct, several seconds of audio are missing in the recording. It jumps immediately from the snip of B-tone audio to a point several seconds later, usually mid-way through the dispatch. There is no "dead air" audio in between or "fast-forward" sounding audio.

Running this configuration for several days now, I note that is it not consistent. There are times when the program records all the audio with no "skip". At this point I'd estimate that 75% of the recordings have the skipped audio, while 25% do not. The tone sets that have skip are not consistent - sometimes a tone-set recording will be complete (no skip), other times the recording will skip the few seconds of audio.

I have rebooted numerous times in the process with no change. Thanks for the suggestion.
It seems that this would have to be related to the recording or the wav to mp3 conversion, both of which are in python components or ffmpeg. Have you tried downloading a fresh clean version of TTD and ffmpeg.exe? Maybe something in yours has gotten corrupted. It is like something is causing the recording to stop and then to pick up again a second or so later. Can you post one of the problem recordings? If you compress it to a .zip file i think you can post it.
Sponsored links

Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt036 View Post
Andy,

I've upgraded to v59a, and so far no problems with page detection... the only thing is the "Control Scanner" function doesn't seem to work anymore... In the config file Control Scanner = 1, but in the GUI, the box is not checked (and checking it and saving it does not keep it checked), and it doesn't seem to be controlling the scanner (nothing in the log liked "pressed scan" or "sent GLG request"). V58 still seems to be controlling the scanner on the same setup (BCD996T, USB1 Cable on correct COM port, Windows XP)

Thanks.
Yeah I pulled all of the scanner control stuff out of v59. Because of the changes in the tone detection algorithm from v58 to v59, doing scanner control in the same way as v58 and prior doesn't work. I may be able to reintroduce scanner control in v59, but it would have to be with increased delays between "forcing scan" commands, up to the total length of your longest tone, which would greatly reduce reliability. I'm not sure it's worth it. I'd have to do some thinking to see if there's a way around that to make it work with 59, but it's been a low priority since not many people use that feature and the cost of adding additional sound cards and receivers for multiple channels is pretty low.

Andy

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

You may want to increase the volume of your scanner. The recording is VOX triggered, using the audio threshold parameter. The tones may be loud enough to trigger the VOX, but if the dispatcher is quiet that might be an issue. This isn't any different than prior versions in that regard though.

Andy

Old 02-26-2013, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Feature Request

Andy,
Small, ok maybe Large, feature request: stop recording after x seconds of silence.

Backstory: My department is the lucky one that sits at the front of a long line of stacked pages. Any 'all county page' we get to hear about 5 other department tones (mostly longtones and some AB tones) before any announcement. The trouble is that I need to set my record length to 60 seconds to get the announcements after about 40 seconds of tones. However when they page just us it still records 60 seconds, 15 seconds for the page info then 45 seconds of dead air. My pager doesn't work in my office so I rely on TTD (even though I shouldn't) to let me know what is going on. Is there any way that you could create a new tone parameter for stop on silence? Here is what I am thinking:

In the tones.cfg...
Code:
silence_stop_length = 4 ; Number of seconds of "No Audio" before stopping record in progress.
This would let us still get the all county pages (just ends up getting all 60 seconds) or it will stop after seeing a length of dead air. This will let me get the text message faster. Just a though. If you would like some help I do some software fiddling in my spare time and could take a crack at it if you want. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecker View Post
Andy,
Small, ok maybe Large, feature request: stop recording after x seconds of silence.

Backstory: My department is the lucky one that sits at the front of a long line of stacked pages. Any 'all county page' we get to hear about 5 other department tones (mostly longtones and some AB tones) before any announcement. The trouble is that I need to set my record length to 60 seconds to get the announcements after about 40 seconds of tones. However when they page just us it still records 60 seconds, 15 seconds for the page info then 45 seconds of dead air. My pager doesn't work in my office so I rely on TTD (even though I shouldn't) to let me know what is going on. Is there any way that you could create a new tone parameter for stop on silence? Here is what I am thinking:

In the tones.cfg...
Code:
silence_stop_length = 4 ; Number of seconds of "No Audio" before stopping record in progress.
This would let us still get the all county pages (just ends up getting all 60 seconds) or it will stop after seeing a length of dead air. This will let me get the text message faster. Just a though. If you would like some help I do some software fiddling in my spare time and could take a crack at it if you want. Thanks.
That shouldn't be too hard, I'll add it to the list.

Andy

Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanYak View Post
I spent the evening looking to find an answer that was ask a few times by others but couldn't find any response. Is there away to add the date along with the time in the Subject line? (User configurable?) If I understand correctly it was available at one time.
Is there away to add the date?
Old 02-27-2013, 5:12 PM

Hello,

I'm in need of some help. I've been using Twotone for at least a year with great success. However... it seems something changed overnight, and I am struggling to find it. My hardware setup has not changed, and I have been assured by the county that they have not made any changes either.

What I do have are two paging tone sets recorded from the computer two tone is operating on. 1 set from 9 months ago that will trip TwoTone every time as it should when I loop it back to the mic input.

I have a "new" set (recorded today after I found the issues) that seemingly is the same, but will not trip Two Tone, or if it does, does not repeatedly.

Any support I could get would be greatly appreciated.

My tone settings are (these have always been the same and have not changed)

Atone = 321.7
Btone = 339.6
Btonelength = .1 ;
Btonedebounce = 0

Thanks!

marine_man
Attached Files
File Type: zip old_short.zip (186.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by marine_man; 02-27-2013 at 5:37 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2013, 7:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanYak View Post
Is there away to add the date?
Not at this time. I can add it to the list for future releases.

Andy

Old 02-27-2013, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_man View Post
Hello,

I'm in need of some help. I've been using Twotone for at least a year with great success. However... it seems something changed overnight, and I am struggling to find it. My hardware setup has not changed, and I have been assured by the county that they have not made any changes either.

What I do have are two paging tone sets recorded from the computer two tone is operating on. 1 set from 9 months ago that will trip TwoTone every time as it should when I loop it back to the mic input.

I have a "new" set (recorded today after I found the issues) that seemingly is the same, but will not trip Two Tone, or if it does, does not repeatedly.

Any support I could get would be greatly appreciated.

My tone settings are (these have always been the same and have not changed)

Atone = 321.7
Btone = 339.6
Btonelength = .1 ;
Btonedebounce = 0

Thanks!

marine_man
Take a look at those two files in Audacity. Zoom way in on both, and look at the frequency response of both. You'll see that the "old" file is a nice clean sine wave during the tones, but the "new" one is clipped, which turns it into more of a square wave. This results in a very messy frequency response. In this case, the second harmonic is overpowering the actual fundamental in the FFT, which will cause issues with TTD. I'm not sure what caused this, but the solution is to adjust your audio levels down so that the input isn't clipping any more. That's assuming the problem is on your end. If it's on the transmitter end, they have some issues and something has definitely changed.

Andy

Old 02-27-2013, 8:50 PM

Thanks Andy...

I backed way, way off on the microphone input setting on my computer and consequently backed off on the squelch level and it seems to be working again.

I did notice that the volume on the pages before it stopped working where getting loud to the point where the audio was distorting... that would make sense based on what you saw there.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 02-28-2013, 9:37 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Is there a way to add the date?

Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Not at this time. I can add it to the list for future releases.

Andy

Thanks Andy, It would help when auto posting to a web page. Listeners would have a reference.
Old 02-28-2013, 7:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfire View Post
Is anyone having trouble getting attachments to go through the various Canadian sms/mms gateways? Many of my recipients are getting this message instead of the audio attachment...
"A MIME attachment of type <audio/mpeg> was removed here by a drop-attachments-by-f"
This happens whether the audio is wav mp3 or amr.
Emails to regular email addresses go through fine, just not to the cell phones.
Anybody have any ideas?
As far as I know only Telus will allow an amr attachment with email to mms (number@mms.telusmobility.com)
I think Rodgers will allow it if a user subscribes to an email to mms service.
Other than that users will have to access their email if they want to hear the audio.

Tags
twotonedetect