RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 7:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3nsv View Post
Great job Andy! Can you explain to me how the email priority works?
Well my name isn't Andy but I can chip in my understanding. Most of the time when you send an email you send it with a "normal" priority (3). This tells email programs to simply handle things no differently then any other messages. Many email programs/interfaces let you define 2 other levels, urgent/priority and non-urgent/non-critical. These levels tell other software how to handle the message. Rarely is the "low" priority used, but it could be, so I will ignore it. With "high" priority, some software will color the messages differently (eg, in red), or the mail interfaces will flag the message with a little symbol. This parameter will allow you to modify from the "normal" value 3 to a range to set that priority

Most departments with the email priority will crank it up to 1 (maybe 2) to set the stage for the messages to be handled differently after being sent. Priority 1 denotes the message as very-urgent. Email programs might color the message's listing, pop up a special alert, and mobile phones might make an extra sound, to denote that this message is special. Outlook for example will put an exclamation mark next to it, however Thunderbird, Gmail's interface, and iOS do not display any visual indicator. It is hit and miss but some people would prefer it. Did that help?
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecker View Post
Well my name isn't Andy but I can chip in my understanding. Most of the time when you send an email you send it with a "normal" priority (3). This tells email programs to simply handle things no differently then any other messages. Many email programs/interfaces let you define 2 other levels, urgent/priority and non-urgent/non-critical. These levels tell other software how to handle the message. Rarely is the "low" priority used, but it could be, so I will ignore it. With "high" priority, some software will color the messages differently (eg, in red), or the mail interfaces will flag the message with a little symbol. This parameter will allow you to modify from the "normal" value 3 to a range to set that priority

Most departments with the email priority will crank it up to 1 (maybe 2) to set the stage for the messages to be handled differently after being sent. Priority 1 denotes the message as very-urgent. Email programs might color the message's listing, pop up a special alert, and mobile phones might make an extra sound, to denote that this message is special. Outlook for example will put an exclamation mark next to it, however Thunderbird, Gmail's interface, and iOS do not display any visual indicator. It is hit and miss but some people would prefer it. Did that help?
That's right. Changing the message priority doesn't help it get sent any faster, it just may change how the receiving program handles it. Some email programs/apps use the priority field, some don't.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 05-09-2013, 12:25 PM

So now with V60 if the recommended atonelength and btonelength of .6 and if the program no longer looks at a btonedebounce how do you eliminate false detections?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

I've been using A tone length 0.6 & B tone length 2.0. Haven't had a single false decode yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
So now with V60 if the recommended atonelength and btonelength of .6 and if the program no longer looks at a btonedebounce how do you eliminate false detections?
With the new algorithm, debounce is essentially built in to the length. So if you want more debounce, just make the length longer. For example, setting Btonedebounce = 1.5 will have more robustness against falsing that Btonedebounce = .6.

With the new algorithm, Atonelength=.6 and Btonelength=.6 is basically equivalent to Btonedebounce = 2 in the old algorithm. Increasing either A or B length by .2 in the new is the same as increasing Btonedebounce by 1 in the old.

Sponsored links

Old 05-10-2013, 8:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Max Tones / Stacked pages

Hey all, does anyone know what the maximum number of tones the software can support? I am looking to try and get my entire county to use this software as a way to save them some money. If I have counted right there are about 16/17 tones that I can count up that would be tracked.

Listening to pager test this morning the worst stack set is 5 tones (and my department is the lead tone, joy). Could one single computer run this whole thing? If so what kind of specs would I need to pull this off? Any experiences - using VM, running multiple copies of the software, clustering computers off one scanner - would be handy. Might make for good material for the FAQ as well.
Old 05-10-2013, 8:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hey all, does anyone know what the maximum number of tones the software can support? I am looking to try and get my entire county to use this software as a way to save them some money. If I have counted right there are about 16/17 tones that I can count up that would be tracked.

Listening to pager test this morning the worst stack set is 5 tones (and my department is the lead tone, joy). Could one single computer run this whole thing? If so what kind of specs would I need to pull this off? Any experiences - using VM, running multiple copies of the software, clustering computers off one scanner - would be handy. Might make for good material for the FAQ as well.
One computer and copy of the software should be fine. There really isn't a limit to the number of tone sets on the software side. I've run over 20 tone sets with no issues, and have had five stacked pages work even on a Raspberry Pi. For the setup at our fire station I picked up an $80 clunker on Ebay to run TTD and a few other things.

Andy

Old 05-10-2013, 9:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I got a false alert the other night from Kenosha Wisconsin. I live in Illinois probably 3.5 hrs plus away from Kenosha. And their tone set recorded on my dept tone and sent the alert out at 0135 hrs. oops hahaha

I was shocked I picked up the traffic this far away with just a window antenna for the scanner. No big deal I just found it funny.

going to start looking at V60 today.

Thanks again Andy for all your hard work an DC31 for helping me out with the warble tone detection!!
Old 05-10-2013, 9:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Have had five stacked pages work even on a Raspberry Pi.
Hey Andy how does the stacked pages work? If my tones hit then the next guys come through does the recording reset or does it create separate recording for each set? Also how stable was that Raspberry PI 5 stack catch? Fluke or repeatable often?

Sorry for peppering you with questions.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hey Andy how does the stacked pages work? If my tones hit then the next guys come through does the recording reset or does it create separate recording for each set? Also how stable was that Raspberry PI 5 stack catch? Fluke or repeatable often?

It creates a separate recording for each tone set. So the first tone to drop will end up recording the ones that follow, just like a voice storage pager would. The last one in the stack won't have the rest of the tones in its recording.

I ran the Raspberry Pi for a few days testing it on a busy department with a lot of stacked pages and it worked fine, but haven't put one into full time long-duration service yet.

Andy

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Mentor
Database Admin

Quote:
Hey all, does anyone know what the maximum number of tones the software can support? I am looking to try and get my entire county to use this software as a way to save them some money. If I have counted right there are about 16/17 tones that I can count up that can be tracked.
I think I currently have 23 tone sets in mine right now. Mostly A-B and a few long tones.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
I think I currently have 23 tone sets in mine right now. Mostly A-B and a few long tones.
What kind of setup / computer do you have for that?

Also at what point to people start to see slowdowns in email sending, if any? One department has 40 some guys on it if they join up.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Mentor
Database Admin

I'm using an Intel Dual Core 1.8ghz.... sending to Google Groups with 125+ members.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Is there any way to resize the Tone Editor interface window? My screen resolution tops out at 1366 X 768, and it doesn't all fit. I've tried all of the usual ways to shrink/enlarge it, but even at its max size it is cut off right below the "B tone Frequency" on the bottom and halfway through the "exclude from/to" boxes. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 6:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
sending to Google Groups with 125+ members.
How well does that Google Groups do at getting message out in a timely fashion? Also why the Google Groups? Third, any hicups with getting messages to phones that way?

Last edited by tecker; 05-10-2013 at 6:06 PM.. Reason: forgot a question
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 7:35 PM
Mentor
Database Admin

Default Re: New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

Works great for me. I have everyone signed up over at the Google Groups side then TTD only has to send out one email for each call. When our tones go off I usually have the email within 20 seconds of the dispatcher unkeying the mic.

I have a handful of people that only want alerts fire certain departments so I add them individually in TTD, so fire any given call the most emails I'm sending out I'd maybe 3 or 4.
Old 05-10-2013, 8:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

I have 29 tone sets in my v56 running on an old clunker windows xp computer. I use it because everyone else hates it and won't touch it. It works like a charm. I did manage to get it confused one day when i saved recordings of all 29 tones and stacked them all up to run a test for everyone. Considering that it was sending out 10-15 emails for each tone set and converting to both m3 and amr files for each can you blame it for choking? Of the 29 sets it missed three or four. In normal operation with stacked tone sets from dispatch i can't recall any failure that i couldn't figure out what happened. With large number of tone sets in the pre-v59 version you stand a higher chance of missed pages. When it detects a valid A tone it then looks for four seconds for a B tone. If a second valid A tone is sent out during those four seconds it could be missed. The more A tones you have in there the more often it will detect an A tone in normal traffic. I only run one copy off one scanner.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
What kind of setup / computer do you have for that?

Also at what point to people start to see slowdowns in email sending, if any? One department has 40 some guys on it if they join up.
I have tone sets with 30 and 37 emails in each and several others with around 15-20 in each. Remember, the system is only sending one email, just going to mulitple addresses. I have never seen any signifcant delay other than the delay cased by the cell system on pages going to phones.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

Not really directly related to your question but likely sort of an answer, i had my pi set up with the tone tolerance set a little too wide. Then i had a couple tone sets with A and B tones relatively close together. So it detected each as both an A tone and a B tone. When this happened it resulted in eight detections and emails each time their tone set went out. So this is probably about the worst case "stacked page" that you will get. The pi sent all eight emails out perfectly. Luckily my pi was set up for testing only and i was the only one receiving these emails!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Is it possible to get the exclude from/to times to work overnight from one day into the next? I tried mine from 23:00 to 07:00 and it didn't seem to work; still received a page at 5 AM.

Tags
twotonedetect