Some feeds not working with VLC player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB2UZR

Anyone have problems with certain feeds not working with the VLC player? I have noticed this one:" Lee and Charlotte Counties Amateur Repeaters"in Florida doesn't work with the VLC player. there is just a garbled digital noise, but works fine with the web player.

Thanks
Scott/WB2UZR

richtidd

Database Admin
Anyone have problems with certain feeds not working with the VLC player? I have noticed this one:" Lee and Charlotte Counties Amateur Repeaters"in Florida doesn't work with the VLC player. there is just a garbled digital noise, but works fine with the web player.

Thanks
Scott/WB2UZR

That feed sounds fine in WinAmp.

So it may be a VLC issue or there was a fee audio problem that the feed owner fixed.

WB2UZR

Thanks Rich, not sure what kind of an issue the VLC player would have that just affects that feed, but I guess anything is possible. What kind of settings are available at the feed suppliers end that might be changed to remedy the problem? Not a big problem in any event, as there are multiple ways to listen, just curious, as the VLC player works well for everything else. I haven't tried it on lots of feeds, but that particular one is in my favorites, so I noticed it there.

Scott/WB2UZR

richtidd

Database Admin
Thanks Rich, not sure what kind of an issue the VLC player would have that just affects that feed, but I guess anything is possible. What kind of settings are available at the feed suppliers end that might be changed to remedy the problem? Not a big problem in any event, as there are multiple ways to listen, just curious, as the VLC player works well for everything else. I haven't tried it on lots of feeds, but that particular one is in my favorites, so I noticed it there.

Scott/WB2UZR

None.

The broadcasting programs to all the work.

csmith00

Feed Provider
I can duplicate your problem listening to that specific feed. VLC provides a error and warning log. Below is what I get. I'm running v 1.1.11 64bit version on Snow Leopard. I have never had an issue playing a stream. I use VLC all the time on both Mac & Windows. Oddly this happens when I hear not transmissions on the feed. I had feed going via webplayer during same time.

main debug: Buffering 97%
main debug: Buffering 98%
main debug: Buffering 99%
main debug: Buffering 99%
main debug: Stream buffering done (3526 ms in 14192 ms)
main debug: Decoder buffering done in 0 ms
main warning: PTS is out of range (16147), dropping buffer
main warning: output PTS is out of range (15178474), clearing out
main warning: PTS is out of range (-9872), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (-35952), dropping buffer
mpgatofixed32 debug: libmad error: bad main_data_begin pointer
main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (-43170)
main warning: mixer start isn't output start (-3807)
main warning: buffer is 43171 in advance, triggering downsampling
main warning: mixer start isn't output start (-1280)
mpgatofixed32 debug: libmad error: Huffman data overrun
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: parameters changed unexpectedly (emulated startcode ?)
main error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (jitter of 9466 ms ignored)
main debug: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
main debug: Buffering 0%
main debug: Buffering 0%
main debug: End of audio preroll
main debug: Buffering 1%
main debug: Buffering 2%
main debug: Buffering 2%
main debug: Buffering 3%
main debug: Buffering 4%
main debug: Buffering 5%
main debug: Buffering 5%
main debug: Buffering 6%
main debug: Buffering 7%
main debug: Buffering 8%

WB2UZR

Thanks for the info, not sure what's causing it. I noticed it in the past on another feed, I'll have to see if I can find it again. Again, not a big deal, but kind of a strange thing!

Scott/WB2UZR

csmith00

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info, not sure what's causing it. I noticed it in the past on another feed, I'll have to see if I can find it again. Again, not a big deal, but kind of a strange thing!

Scott/WB2UZR

I intended on trying that feed from my work PC that is a windows xp box running vlc. I searched around for more information about the log messages. Most postings pointed to either problem w/source or soundcard hardware on the client running VLC. Since I have never had a problem with any other feed or other streaming media using VLC, I doubt it's my hardware. Might just be some quirk with the software the feed provider uses to provide his stream.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

mitbr

I think I may have isolated the problem. When my Clearwater pd feed was streaming via Scannercast the audio was garbled on vlc player, I switched to Radiofeed and it now streams with no problems with vlc player.
Tim

Last edited:

csmith00

Feed Provider
I notice the new Orlando Airport ATC feed causes the same problem with VLC.

Scott

Best option would be to contact the provider of the feed. One feed provider posted in this thread that they fixed issue by switching the software they used to send feed to RR.

WB2UZR

Thanks for the reply! I'm probably not going to ask feed providers to change software just to allow VLC to be used, I guess it's not all that popular a player. At least there are other players to use, I used to use Winamp, probably go back to it.

Thanks again!

csmith00

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply! I'm probably not going to ask feed providers to change software just to allow VLC to be used, I guess it's not all that popular a player. At least there are other players to use, I used to use Winamp, probably go back to it.

Thanks again!

That's cool. I'll continue to use VLC.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider

Thanks again!

WinAmp is the best that I've found. It is simple, straightforward, and doesn't take over your whole computer just to play sounds like iTunes and Windows Media Player.

VLC's developers don't want to talk to you unless you are streaming video around your house.

exportdawg

Agreed. Winamp is what I used to use, don't remember exactly why I switched to VLC. Just re-downloaded Winamp!

Scott/WB2UZR

I host the Orlando ATC Feed and use Radiofeed as software. Just installed a new Antenna and curious if you can tell a difference in the quality of the Audio

csmith00

Feed Provider
I host the Orlando ATC Feed and use Radiofeed as software. Just installed a new Antenna and curious if you can tell a difference in the quality of the Audio

Can't speak to difference in quality but VLC still has an issue playing. I have never had problems with VLC on other feeds which led me to reply test the feeds in this thread.

Radiofeed folk(s) might be willing to test things out to figure what's up. The originator of this thread moved back to Winamp. I didnt grab logs this time but you can download VLC for free.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can't speak to difference in quality but VLC still has an issue playing. I have never had problems with VLC on other feeds which led me to reply test the feeds in this thread.

Radiofeed folk(s) might be willing to test things out to figure what's up. The originator of this thread moved back to Winamp. I didnt grab logs this time but you can download VLC for free.

What's there to test? Did I miss something? RadioFeed is working with VLC as advised by mitbr.

[EDIT[ In VLC, See if changing the default caching policy from custom to normal or high latency will make a difference.
Go to Tools - Preference - Input & Codecs - Default Caching Policy

Last edited:

csmith00

Feed Provider
What's there to test? Did I miss something? RadioFeed is working with VLC as advised by mitbr.

[EDIT[ In VLC, See if changing the default caching policy from custom to normal or high latency will make a difference.
Go to Tools - Preference - Input & Codecs - Default Caching Policy

You didn't miss anything. I misread the post bymitbr. I misread it as he switched to Scannercast instead of he switched to RadioFeed.

Since I was able to duplicate what the originator of this thread complained about., I was merely suggesting having the host of the feed test things out w/VLC. If they could duplicate they could reach out to the <insert feed software name> folks for pointers. That what I would do if I was able to duplicate a problem with the feed I host on this site(fingers crossed since my stream has run fine for past 30days).

The feeds I listen to have always and continue to play fine in VLC. Same story with other media I use VLC with. So I'm not sure what the cause of the few feeds pointed out in this thread is.

Status
Not open for further replies.