Listening to live feed question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1VQP

I am using Windows Media Player to listen to a live scanner feed and have noticed that after 2-3 hours the player will stop and I have to press the play button again. Is this normal or should I be using another program. I'm kinda new to the live feed listening.

rbm

Winamp (free version) is also a good one to try.

Select 'Allow Multiple Instances' in the preferences and you can listen to many feeds at one time.

It will also display the text labels in the playlist window.

Toggle 'Repeat' to 'ON' and it will automatically reconnect if the feed drops and comes back online.

Rich

Edit:
Here's a screen capture of the desktop on one of my PC's.
Five feeds displaying text tags and logging using ScanRec Pro.

Last edited:

talkpair

I'm using Winamp and was wondering if I can add additional feeds to the playlist?

Yes, you can create a playlist file with your favorites......then launch winamp by clicking on the playlist directly, then toggling though the playlist until you find the stream you're interested in.
This works well if you're interested in only one stream.

I use a setup similar to the screenshot that rbm has posted where I have 5 streams playing at the same time.

For my setup, I created a separate icon for each stream of interest, and put them in a folder.

To do this,
1) Right click on the Winamp icon and choose "Create Shortcut" from the menu.
2) Right click on the newly created icon, and choose "Rename" from the menu.
3) Rename the shortcut to something more meaningful.
4) Right click on the same icon again, and choose "Properties" from the menu.
The "Shortcut" tab should come up by default on the Properties tab box.
The entry in the "Target" text box will read something similar to "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe"
Leave this entry alone
To the right of the text already in the text box, type in
a space
/NEW
another space
the URL of the stream

Example Target entry for Winamp for Platte County Missouri feed:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /NEW http://relay.radioreference.com:80/818306431

Click "Apply", then click "OK"

You can now arrange all of your newly created icons according to your own personal preferences.

Note: The /NEW switch in the command line opens a NEW instance of WinAmp.
As rbm already pointed out, be sure you have "Allow Multiple Instances" selected.

Here's a partial screenshot of my icon folder and 5 instances of WinAmp running in windowshade mode.

Last edited:

K1VQP

Talkpair...I tried your set-up and am getting an error message in the Winamp display (Error syncing to stream) Also do I need to create a new folder on my Desktop to put each icon in?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

talkpair

Incorrect WinAmp URL entry for Los Angeles County Sheriff, Fire & Aircraft
Code:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=829
Correct WinAmp URL entry for Los Angeles County Sheriff, Fire & Aircraft
Code:
http://relay.radioreference.com:80/ca_losangeles3?.wma

The easiest way to find the correct URL to set up your Target in your shortcut, is to first use RadioReference to launch the WinAmp player.
Once the WinAmp player is playing the stream of interest, hit ALT 3 to display the File or Stream information.
If for some reason ALT 3 does not work, hit the button in the upper left corner of the WinAmp screen and choose "View File Info" from the drop down menu.
You can drag the mouse over the URL to copy.....then paste in the usual manner.

Also do I need to create a new folder on my Desktop to put each icon in?
No.....You can put the icons on the Desktop (or anywhere else) if that's your preference.
I only created a separate Folder to cut down on the number of icons on the Desktop

K1VQP

So far I have 4 feeds up and working. But, it seems that when I exit all the players and later when I open them again they default back to the original shortcut and I have to open the playlist for each one and restart each feed. Is this normally how it works?

Thanks again to all for the help.

Screen shot of my feeds.

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

talkpair

Examine the target entries for each of the shortcuts you've created.
Each should have it's own unique URL.

From what you're describing, it sounds like you have the same URL entered into all of the shortcuts.

When setup probably, you don't need to involve a playlist.

K1VQP

Now I have it all figured out correctly...My mistake was in creating a shortcut from an icon on my desktop that already had a URL and adding the new URL to it. Creating a shortcut from the icon in my startup menu worked fine.

I appreciate all the help from everyone, couldn't have done it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.