Setting up my first live stream & audio connection/cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

McP

I'm in the process of setting up my first stream. I have everything in place, just waiting on the approval from RR and I'll be using ScannerCast.

Searching the forums, I found information on audio cables and setting up scanner to PC.

I've read some recommendations for the RS 42-2420
Search Result

and the set up listed here on the Wiki...
Setting up your Broadcasting Station - The RadioReference Wiki

I am using a Uniden 996XT scanner and was hoping to get specific information to my connections. I'm not sure if I have to have ScannerCast running after approval of my feed or not to test my connection, but so far I can't find a way to do so.

I've tried the "rec" jack on the back of the 996XT (I assume I don't use the external speaker port on it.

And I've tried running that cable to the "line in" on my sound card and the "mic" with no luck. Or at least no way of seeing if my feed will be listenable once I'm approved. I've done the set up on the Wiki as well as using the 2420 cable as someone mentioned in a similar thread to another person.

I'm guessing I can't tell if it's working or how it sounds until I can connect with ScannerCast after I am approved.?.

Thanks

Last edited:

KJ6HCB

Use the external speaker or line out jack - otherwise the REC jack.... you have to enable each channel to port its audio to the REC jack - so if youve just plugged in the cable there without enabling the record function for any channels, you wont get anything. Ext Spk will get you all audio out of the unit.

McP

I did read about the REC jack requiring configuring and I'd rather not go that route. Is the "line out" jack also the headphone jack (front of 996XT?)

Use the external speaker or line out jack - otherwise the REC jack.... you have to enable each channel to port its audio to the REC jack - so if youve just plugged in the cable there without enabling the record function for any channels, you wont get anything. Ext Spk will get you all audio out of the unit.

McP

I've got the stream up and it seems to be running good according to a listener.

Three questions....

I read that the volume on the scanner has to be up half way or so, to provide output to the PC for the stream. Thus, I assume if the volume on the scanner was turned down, then listeners online wouldn't be able to receive the stream?

With this being the case, there may be times where I don't want to monitor my stream (even live on the scanner) , but still want to monitor other streams online. How can I avoid having my one scanner sound that I am providing a stream with, from coming over my PC speakers where I am listening to other streams? I'm probably making it sound more confusing than it is.... I'd like to listen to other streams on my PC and not hear my own from my scanner through the PC speakers.

If my host PC goes into screen saver mode, will that affect the stream feed or sleep mode? Should these be turned off while running a stream and just shut off the monitor via it's power?

Last edited:

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I use the analog version for my feeds (bct15)

If you are using rec out, volume knob does nothing. I turn mine down all the way unless I want to listen.

Not sure on your second question. May need to play with your PC audio controls.

Screen saver is ok (I turn my monitor off). Sleep or hibernate are bad. Turn those off because it will shut your feed down.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.