RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 8:02 PM

Default ScannerCast vs Alternative Broadcasters

Hello,

I have recently begun hosting an audio feed and want some input on what other people use as their broadcasting software.

I am currently using the RR branded ScannerCast and it's okay, but I'd like to use something better if its out there.

The audio feed is fed into the sound card via 3.5mm audio cable, so I don't need the benefit for scanner control...this is an audio only feed.

Also internet speed shouldn't be a factor. We typically get 10-15mbps.

One side question possibly related to this--there is around a 30 second delay between the actual audio and the streaming audio...is there any way to reduce that delay?

Thanks!!
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2012, 7:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am the same as you, new broadcaster, audio only, etc.. I started with the stock Scannercast but switched to RadioFeed (see the wiki's). Both seem to run fine on my XP system but I do like RadioFeed better.

And the short answer to the delay question is no. I mean you could try to get a feed directly on an internet backbone maybe or somehow get the server admins to give you priority but they would not and it would not make any real difference anyway. Its all got to make the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondovfd View Post
Hello,

I have recently begun hosting an audio feed and want some input on what other people use as their broadcasting software.

I am currently using the RR branded ScannerCast and it's okay, but I'd like to use something better if its out there.

The audio feed is fed into the sound card via 3.5mm audio cable, so I don't need the benefit for scanner control...this is an audio only feed.

Also internet speed shouldn't be a factor. We typically get 10-15mbps.

One side question possibly related to this--there is around a 30 second delay between the actual audio and the streaming audio...is there any way to reduce that delay?

Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2012, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyman View Post
I am the same as you, new broadcaster, audio only, etc.. I started with the stock Scannercast but switched to RadioFeed (see the wiki's). Both seem to run fine on my XP system but I do like RadioFeed better.

And the short answer to the delay question is no. I mean you could try to get a feed directly on an internet backbone maybe or somehow get the server admins to give you priority but they would not and it would not make any real difference anyway. Its all got to make the trip.
Just a small clarification - the "trip" across the network can be measured in milliseconds. The delay is in internal processing, first in your PC and then in the broadcast server you're sending to.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks glyman. I downloaded RadioFeed and am trying it out. One quick question: do you know if there is any way to have it auto-connect if the computer restarts for some reason? With ScannerCast the stream would automatically connect when the program opens. I have RadioFeed open with startup, but don't want to have to manually connect the feed each time.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Thanks glyman. I downloaded RadioFeed and am trying it out. One quick question: do you know if there is any way to have it auto-connect if the computer restarts for some reason? With ScannerCast the stream would automatically connect when the program opens. I have RadioFeed open with startup, but don't want to have to manually connect the feed each time.
Set the RadioFeed option "Start Up - Source Client & Web Server Use Last State When Program Closed".

Put a RadioFeed shortcut in the startup folder.
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
That is in the instructions.. RadioFeed Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

"Add a RadioFeed shortcut to the Windows Startup Group. Insure that the option is checked "Start Up - Source Client & Web Server Use Last State When Program Closed"."