Need Com port help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

My old computer crashed so I had to get another laptop to broadcast my live feed.
I am using Scannercast and want to broadcast alpha tags like before.
Everything is good except that under the "Control Port" drop down window, my only choices are COM 3 and none. I've tried all 3 USB ports and none of them work. I actually think port 3 may be broken on the laptop.
Is there a way to make the drop down select another Port (such as 1 or 2)?
Is this done thru enabling something in the actual computer's drive system?
I am using a Toshiba Satellite with Windows (not sure of the version) with a PRO-197 and Radio Shack cable.
Thanks in advance!
Paul

n5ims

Open up Device Manager (I generally find it's easiest to type it into the Start Menu's "Search programs and files" dialog box). (You may know this, but just in case I'll detail it out.) Find Ports (COM & LPT) - it may be called something a bit different, but you get the idea and expand the available ports by clicking on the white triangle. Find the USB to Serial adapter (Mine's called "USB Serial Port (COM4)" and double click to bring up the Properties dialog box. Click the Port Settings tab and then the Advanced... button. You should be able to select any available one using the Com Port Number: list box and make the change by pressing the OK button.

Attachments

• PortsAdvanced.jpg
    PortsAdvanced.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DeviceManager.jpg
    DeviceManager.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 184

Nasby

Thanks so much for the great info!!
I was able to change the comport and now the two lights flash on the Radio Shack interface cable. BUT it still says that the scanner is not communicating??
I know the comports work because I've run other devices off them and the cable is good.
I am able to still send the audio though.
Any other ideas??
Thanks again.

Nasby

@NM5ims
I'm wondering if I could have the wrong the speed selected in the Scannercast drop down window by the comport selection? (I have it set at 9600).
Or some setting that is off in the Advanced Comport setting menu?
Could you show me how you have your settings configured?
HELP!!
Thanks again.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
The speed in Scannercast should match what is on your scanner. I have Uniden scanners so not sure where it is set on your RS model.

Uniden defaults to 115200.

Status
Not open for further replies.