Remote, Private Stream - S/W Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

quarterwave

I work with radios alot, I have my own repeaters, etc. I even work with my company's system as an administrator. What I don't do alot of is software type stuff.

I want to take advantage of a good receiver site that has DSL internet available to place a receiver for some specific VHF channels and then stream that audio, when needed to my home PC.

Can anyone recommend a simple client/server app for a PC that would allow this be accomplished? I would rather serve it direct (not stream it to an outside server), and I would only have one connection. Maybe the option to hit it from my smart phone too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Q

Tweekerbob

The easiest solution would be RadioFeed. This has a web server / stream server built in, saving you the hassle of running a seperate mp3 streaming server, like Icecast.

Since it is a server, you would have to open up whichever port you chose in your router and/or modem depending on your set-up.

You are also allowed to set the maximum listeners, probably 1 in your case. Any app on your phone capable of opening up a mp3 stream by directing inputting a url should work fine.

redsnow

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I work with radios alot, I have my own repeaters, etc. I even work with my company's system as an administrator. What I don't do alot of is software type stuff.

I want to take advantage of a good receiver site that has DSL internet available to place a receiver for some specific VHF channels and then stream that audio, when needed to my home PC.

Can anyone recommend a simple client/server app for a PC that would allow this be accomplished? I would rather serve it direct (not stream it to an outside server), and I would only have one connection. Maybe the option to hit it from my smart phone too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Q

What type of scanner do you plan to use for streaming?
Will you be just listening or need remote control?
The next version of RadioFeed will have the virtual display and keyboard on a web page like was added in ProScan with another scanner supported.

Last edited:

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
You could also stream it via Shoutcast and make/list it private. Only those that know the IP address will be able to listen. Or... if the scanner will run under something like the WIN500 software... you could listen to and control the receiver remotely. Again... if you have to know the IP address to connect with the radio.

quarterwave

It's probably going to be a Motorola radio as the receiver, but I may use a BC780xlt.

NYRHKY94

Bob:

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but now that you offered up what we can expect in the next version of Radio Feed......any ETA for us? The new functionality sounds exciting!

Thanks - Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob:

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but now that you offered up what we can expect in the next version of Radio Feed......any ETA for us? The new functionality sounds exciting!

Thanks - Mike

I misspoke. The next version of RadioFeed will not have remote control. I was thinking at the time that it would since the ProScan and RadioFeed uses the same Wed Server code. The next version will have a lot of Web Server enhancements and another scanner supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.