Broadcasting with the Uniden HomePatrol - Tag Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmobile1337

I have seen this question posed before but I either haven't seen any answers to this question or the answer was from 2011 or earlier and things may have changed since then.

Right now I am using K1PGV's quite excellent utility ScannerCast to stream my scanner to RadioReference which I downloaded from his site, not from RR. I have the extreme upgrade and a USB cable plugged in, as well as the HomePatrol USB Serial port driver installed. Scanner cast sees the available COM port and I am able to select it.

I have two questions at this point. The first question, is there a way to broadcast the system/TG info with the audio to RR using the HomePatrol? My second question, does ScannerCast support that at this time?

NYRHKY94

I posted this same question on the Home Patrol forum and was informed that as of right now, alpha tags are not supported yet by any software. So it's audio only streaming for now.

dmobile1337

dmobile1337

I just read the changelog showing the alpha tag support. Installed the software. Will configure and attempt broadcast around 9 or so. This is RIDICULOUSLY EXCITING news. The sort of news, for us homepatrol users anyways, that if we made newspapers we would use second coming font for this sort of announcement.

It is correctly pulling and displaying the alphatags from my scanner on supported players. I find it somewhat ironic that the basic web player doesn't support the metadata but it is a basic web player and the Java player supports it just fine. Of course, that's because it's WinAmp. But I won't quibble, it works great. Thank you again for the link! I've been waiting over a year for this kind of support. I threw money at my screen but the software downloaded anyways.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
ScannerCast works, choose 396/996. I used the serial cable from my 396 to plug into the GPS port and set to 4800 or whatever the GPS baud rate is set to in the HP-1. Have to choose the dot for 'Channel' only since the higher settings provide too much. Worked great, used it on the Beaver County, PA stream for awhile until I moved.

NYRHKY94

I have the HP-1 streaming with Alpha Tags using RadioFeed v2.2. Everything working fine except for one issue. The audio for the stream is very, very low? I'm using the line out on the HP-1 for the audio and I have the volume in control panel on the sound card cranked up. Anybody else seeing this?

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Levels can always be a pain to tweak. I had no issue though. I preferred my HP-1 for streaming because I could mute or turn the volume up or down and it had no effect on the line output. Very nice to have on the desk and not lose functionality just because it is feeding a stream.

NYRHKY94

Redbeard:

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what audio cable adapter (model number) you are using for the line out from the HP-1. That may be my issue here.

Thanks - Mike

Last edited:

Redneck0410

Redbeard:

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what audio cable adapter (model number) you are using for the line out from the HP-1. That may be my issue here.

Thanks - Mike

Mike-

The "Line Out" jack on that scanner is a 2.5mm, which is just a little smaller than the standard 3.5 mm jack you would see on a computer. What you need to do is purchase a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, hook that directly to the scanner, then add in your 3.5mm cable. Refer to this link: https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=2.5mm+to+3.5mm+adapter (NOTE: I am not trying to be a smart-aleck about this).

NYRHKY94

Redneck0410:

Thanks for the reply. I've actually tried two different 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters and in both cases, the audio coming out of the HP-1 is still low. I've done a lot of streaming with my other scanners and none of them have this low of an output. Maybe it's just the way the HP-1 line out is going to be?

Thanks - Mike

lost_in_maine

Not to Hi-Jack this thread but, Even though the HP is connected Via USB, do you still have to get the Audio from the Line-Out or the Speaker inputs?
I haven't seen many posts with any clear-cut info on Streaming a feed with the HomePatrol..Would like to setup a feed soon...

Redneck0410

Not to Hi-Jack this thread but, Even though the HP is connected Via USB, do you still have to get the Audio from the Line-Out or the Speaker inputs?
I haven't seen many posts with any clear-cut info on Streaming a feed with the HomePatrol..Would like to setup a feed soon...

I would assume it'd be similar to other scanners and you'd have to get audio from the Line-out. The USB would likely be used to transmit the alpha-tags (Once someone figures out the formula to support such).

Redneck0410

Redneck0410:

Thanks for the reply. I've actually tried two different 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters and in both cases, the audio coming out of the HP-1 is still low. I've done a lot of streaming with my other scanners and none of them have this low of an output. Maybe it's just the way the HP-1 line out is going to be?

Thanks - Mike

I almost wonder if the jacks got flip-flopped around during manufacturing. Try hooking it up directly to the headphone jack and see if that improves your audio. It's a possibility, and one I wouldn't put past Uniden or any other company for that matter.

lost_in_maine

I would assume it'd be similar to other scanners and you'd have to get audio from the Line-out. The USB would likely be used to transmit the alpha-tags (Once someone figures out the formula to support such).

I was able to see the Alpha Tags/MetaData with Radiofeed, I didn't have a 2.5 mm cable around, or any adapters for it..So no Audio...I'd be curious how it works out using the EXT Speaker jack

Maybe once the ice melts, I'll head down to Radio Shack and grab a cable..trying to get it setup first on my local network, and see how it sounds

gfdfortynine

I am using a Homepatrol to broadcast one of my feeds. I am using the line out into a usb sound card. AGC is off and the Microphone level is about 70.
When I tried using the headphone jack all I got was distortion no matter what I did. I even built a line level to microphone input adapter to lower the input volts down and it still sounded like crap.

NYRHKY94

To add to what gfdfortynine posted, the following are my results/conclusions with streaming using the HP-1:

1. Line Out must be used for the audio stream.
2. Using the headphone jack for audio produces significant noise and distortion.
3. A 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter is needed to connect the HP-1 to your sound card device.
4. Tags will stream using RadioFeed v2.2. Extreme Upgrade and serial drivers are required.
5. The USB cable needs to be connected to stream the data. Choose serial when prompted.
6. The Line Out produces low audio output. Volume on the feed needs to be set high.
7. P25 digital has a deep base sound, while Analog is clearer & crisper IMO.

NOTE: An audio only feed is possible without the Extreme Upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.