RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 3:25 PM

Lightbulb is there a demand for a mobile casting app?

I have been considering jamming out code for such an app because my own searches for anything like it lead nowhere. Unless I'm searching with wrong terms? Certainly, I have Some expectations for what I want but it seems as though it hasn't been done yet.

This app should (on a decommissioned/secondary smartphone/ ipod touch):

i. Accept audio from a lightly modded earphone + mic set.
ii. Interpret streaming data via its dock connector/ data port.
iii. Simultaneously stream both with options for sync adjusting.

Now, I don't know how different it would be for other scanners because I've only used one (and extensively so) and this is a GRE PSR-600. I warmed up to using its programming cable after about a year or two of getting to know it by hand and so discovered that through one particular piece of software, it also allows for LCD readouts.

Haven't really looked for existing PCIF/USB libs yet but it can't be that hard to learn/ implement since there is software already capable of this WITH the caveat, of course, that a fully functional computer is on hand.

But say, I'm deep in the woods, camped out for a month (unlikely). And say I also wanted to recast what I'm listening to while maintaining full mobility. I don't want to have a laptop in my arms whilst fending off packs of wolves. Just a mobile scanner plugged into an infinitely lighter smartphone/what-have-you broadcasting to either a nearby WiFi router or cell tower.

Through a specialized web-client, a monitoring netizen would be even more empowered and maybe even (bonus iv: ) allowed to remotely program the scanner. The possibilities and scenarios are endless..

So, my question finally.

Is something like this worth anyone else's time? Any programmers out there with similar wants?

Last edited by 0x69736c65; 12-24-2012 at 3:32 PM.. Reason: tripped up by smiley
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I've thought about this to run my feed during hurricanes and such, when there are extensive utility outages, but honestly configuring everything would be much more of a pain than it would be worth, especially given the extremely small market that would utilize it.

A netbook is honestly the best way to go, given the fact a stream lie that would nuke your phone's battery life.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Software ideas

I'd like to discuss more ideas with you about this.

If you're interested I can be reached here privately or at oasec1@gmail.com

Thanks
Robert
Old 03-10-2013, 2:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I've thought about this also. Since some people run dedicated computers to host a feed, running a dedicated Android Phone would be much cheaper, and take up a lot less room.

Tags
android, broadcasting software, ios, remote control, windows phone