RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 9:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVT View Post
Sounds like Drew has some better knowledge of how to start these programs. I am all ears to move from Screen if Drew can show us how!! I have to assume Daemonize will address the needs to restart that we came up with.
I love team work!!
FYI I run pulseaudio from the system not user level. I have not had any problems thus far in doing so.
Once I get my sound card, I'll have the final pieces and will advise. I'm expecting the card to arrive mid-November. Gotta love Hong Kong Post.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 9:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I must say that Twillio has peaked my interest
I wrote a quick bash script to use as my alert_command, which immediately sends a text saying a call has come in. (Of course, after recording for 45 seconds, it will send the normal email/texts with the dispatch):

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/TwoToneDetect60aPi# cat send2crewText.sh
#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/curl -XPOST https://api.twilio.com/2010-04-01/Ac.../Messages.json \
-d "Body=SVAC 2nd Crew: Toned Out" \
-d "To=%2B15555555555" \
-d "From=%2B15555555555" \
-u 'SECRET_TOKEN'

I also used Twilio and PERL to create a response mechanism for our second due ambulance. Our first due is scheduled and there is always a crew at the building. But, second due is pager-based. Here's how it works:
1. When the second tones go off, everybody is to call into the Twilio number I set up.
2. It will automatically dump all callers into a conference call (party line) without having to enter any special codes.
3. When the first person connects into the conference, it will automatically make an outbound call to the building and conference them in if anybody answers, in the event a person is there. (Part of our SOP is to call there first and this eliminates the need for a human to do that.)
4. If we can't get a crew with the people dialed-in, you can press *1 to immediately send a text out to our second wave of people with instructions to dial into the conference number if they can go on a call.
5. To end the call, somebody performs a *2 or *3. *2 ends the call and sends a text to the group saying a crew has been established. *3 ends the call and sends a text to the group saying the call went mutual aid.
6. If the call ends and somebody then calls in, they hear a message saying "a crew was established X minutes ago" before being dropped into the conference, in case they are late to the game.

I could definitely see some nice integration with TTD. Perhaps *4 would play the dispatch audio back into the phone in case somebody needs the info. The system could be modified to make outbound calls instead of inbound calls based on the triggering of the tones. Lots of possibilities.

--drew
Old 10-29-2013, 6:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Launch.sh. (Keep alive with screen start)

All,
I wanted to share some progress made working with Jim (DC31). Our objective was to restart TTDpi when it occasionally stopped with out warning. This solution works well now for over a month and logs the restart time stamps into a file for tracking stability (launch.log). (This log now does show success but far less frequent restarts than originally assumed)

The code itself was more from numerous google searches than anything else. I hope someone like Drew can eventually turn this and our Crontab @reboot startup into something more in line with Linux best known methods. Regardless, what we all came up with does indeed work well!

From the user crontab, we start the process on boot and line two runs the potential restart check regularly

@reboot ./launch.sh
0 * * * * ./launch.sh

The attachment should show the launch.sh. Script in a screen shot. Remember to make it executable.

"dist" is the subdirectory under pi where I keep my running TTD files
Attached Images

Last edited by davidVT; 10-29-2013 at 7:08 AM.. Reason: Attachments
Old 10-29-2013, 8:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default TwoToneDetect on a Raspberry Pi - How To

Not sure what this all means but I sure it's awesome plus your working with one of the finest people on these forums. Jim helping hand in tremendous. No matter the persons skill level Jim will always help them!!! These forums are great!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 8:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
All,
From the user crontab, we start the process on boot and line two runs the potential restart check regularly

@reboot ./launch.sh
0 * * * * ./launch.sh
Your script looks great. That's a very common way to watch for a process that isn't running as a service. Personally, I like to include a "cd" command in the crontab and would suggest running it every minute. With that in mind, you wouldn't need the @reboot line, just one line that checks every minute (which would include start-up):

* * * * * (cd /root; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1)

[Assuming your script is in /root. Might need to make it /home/pi or wherever your script lives.]

--drew

Last edited by drewhahn; 10-29-2013 at 8:12 AM.. Reason: Add caveat about directory location
Sponsored links

Old 10-29-2013, 8:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Not sure what this entails but I think it be cool to have the TTD send out a text alert audio file at a certain time everyday to said departments on your list. I know how to make the audio file but getting it to send automatically to said depts is another story.
Old 10-29-2013, 9:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
Not sure what this entails but I think it be cool to have the TTD send out a text alert audio file at a certain time everyday to said departments on your list. I know how to make the audio file but getting it to send automatically to said depts is another story.
To that end, it would be cool if you could call TTD with some command-line arguments to do that, but you can also just write your own script and execute it from cron at your scheduled time:

#!/usr/bin/python

import smtplib
from email.MIMEMultipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.MIMEBase import MIMEBase
from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
from email import Encoders
import os

gmail_user = "MY@EMAIL_ADDRESS"
gmail_pwd = "MY_PASSWORD"

def mail(to, subject, text, attach):
msg = MIMEMultipart()

msg['From'] = gmail_user
msg['To'] = to
msg['Subject'] = subject

msg.attach(MIMEText(text))

part = MIMEBase('application', 'octet-stream')
part.set_payload(open(attach, 'rb').read())
Encoders.encode_base64(part)
part.add_header('Content-Disposition',
'attachment; filename="%s"' % os.path.basename(attach))
msg.attach(part)

mailServer = smtplib.SMTP("smtp.gmail.com:587")
mailServer.ehlo()
mailServer.starttls()
mailServer.login(gmail_user, gmail_pwd)
mailServer.sendmail(gmail_user, to, msg.as_string())
# Should be mailServer.quit(), but that crashes...
mailServer.close()

mail("people@to.send.to.com",
"This is my subject",
"This is email text",
"ocr_pi.png")

--drew
Old 10-29-2013, 9:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I really wish I knew what all this means or how to execute it. Lol sorry in a novice at this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhahn View Post
To that end, it would be cool if you could call TTD with some command-line arguments to do that, but you can also just write your own script and execute it from cron at your scheduled time:

#!/usr/bin/python

import smtplib
from email.MIMEMultipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.MIMEBase import MIMEBase
from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
from email import Encoders
import os

gmail_user = "MY@EMAIL_ADDRESS"
gmail_pwd = "MY_PASSWORD"

def mail(to, subject, text, attach):
msg = MIMEMultipart()

msg['From'] = gmail_user
msg['To'] = to
msg['Subject'] = subject

msg.attach(MIMEText(text))

part = MIMEBase('application', 'octet-stream')
part.set_payload(open(attach, 'rb').read())
Encoders.encode_base64(part)
part.add_header('Content-Disposition',
'attachment; filename="%s"' % os.path.basename(attach))
msg.attach(part)

mailServer = smtplib.SMTP("smtp.gmail.com:587")
mailServer.ehlo()
mailServer.starttls()
mailServer.login(gmail_user, gmail_pwd)
mailServer.sendmail(gmail_user, to, msg.as_string())
# Should be mailServer.quit(), but that crashes...
mailServer.close()

mail("people@to.send.to.com",
"This is my subject",
"This is email text",
"ocr_pi.png")

--drew
Old 10-29-2013, 4:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Smile Encouragement

Hang in there Nick. Most of us are digging into Linux controlling hardware as newbies, perhaps comfortable with some parts and clueless of others. This group seems supportive and polite, a fine place learn and share. When I have time I am always happy to share here or off line.

Drew, I understand changing that to one minute in the crontab. I had worried about the overhead of frequent checking but thinking about it now, your guidance makes sense. I will make that change to streamline the crontab.

I am running as the pi user and not root. I recall great encouragement over the years to avoid the root as routine user so I have stayed that way here. Thus my script is in the home directory of pi and TTD is in the 'dist' subdirectory of pi.

The crontab seems to be of the user and not root but I am a little shakey on the finer details of crontab.

At this point things run smoothly with TTDpi so I will make changes slowly. The sound vs USB version remains my key interest for improvement followed by helping to see a path to calling my users with the audio pager file.

David
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Start of recording chopped

Andy,

I have two pi's running TTD very successfully. One (Let's call it Pi1) has 43 tone sets and the other has 4, only one of which is really active, the others only for testing purposes. I was experiencing a problem with Pi1 where it would miss the first few seconds of the audio after a page even with the record_delay set to zero. I think I traced this back at least somewhat to the Remote Tones.cfg file that it was reading the emails from. It was having to go out to the internet and check/download the emails for every tone set. I removed the remote file and now work only off the tones.cfg in the program. It still seems to miss some at the beginning of the audio recording but far less than when going after the remote file.

On Pi2, I have never used the remote file and there is only one tone set with more than a couple email addresses in it. On every tone detection for that setup, i hear a good second or two of the tail end of the B Tone and all the audio. On Pi1 I don't ever hear any of the B Tone.

Do you think that it is the updating of the email addresses each time the program detects a tone set that is causing it to miss some of the upfront audio? Is there a fix? It's not a big issue so don't spend a lot of your valuable time on it.

These are both running v61Pi.

Thanks

Jim
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default The audio files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
Andy,

I have two pi's running TTD very successfully. One (Let's call it Pi1) has 43 tone sets and the other has 4, only one of which is really active, the others only for testing purposes. I was experiencing a problem with Pi1 where it would miss the first few seconds of the audio after a page even with the record_delay set to zero. I think I traced this back at least somewhat to the Remote Tones.cfg file that it was reading the emails from. It was having to go out to the internet and check/download the emails for every tone set. I removed the remote file and now work only off the tones.cfg in the program. It still seems to miss some at the beginning of the audio recording but far less than when going after the remote file.

On Pi2, I have never used the remote file and there is only one tone set with more than a couple email addresses in it. On every tone detection for that setup, i hear a good second or two of the tail end of the B Tone and all the audio. On Pi1 I don't ever hear any of the B Tone.

Do you think that it is the updating of the email addresses each time the program detects a tone set that is causing it to miss some of the upfront audio? Is there a fix? It's not a big issue so don't spend a lot of your valuable time on it.

Thanks

Jim
The audio files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bes239ffhyhurga/Pi1.amr
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tier9nfa0cu76no/Pi2.amr
Old 11-01-2013, 5:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
The crontab seems to be of the user and not root but I am a little shakey on the finer details of crontab.
Correct. Every user in Linux has their own crontab. The biggest difference between running a job in root's cron vs pi's cron is permissions since the script will run under the permissions of that user. As long as you never need to sudo (or become root) to run TTD, then you should be fine running it in the pi user's cron.

But, if you jump around and launch it as root one day, then pi the next, you could run into issues. For example, let's say you ran it for the first time as root and it created a log file (owned by root). Now, you go to run it as pi and it can't write to the log file because it doesn't have sufficient permissions. That's just an example, but explains some of the things to watch out for.

--drew
Old 11-02-2013, 9:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: TwoToneDetect on a Raspberry Pi - How To

Quote:
...But, if you jump around and launch it as root one day, then pi the next, you could run into issues. For example, let's say you ran it for the first time as root and it created a log file (owned by root). Now, you go to run it as pi and it can't write to the log file because it doesn't have sufficient permissions. That's just an example, but explains some of the things to watch out for.
If you do start as root, the permissions can be changed, and allow the ttd account access to the files. Doing so is a bad security practice, which could establish a bad habit, and that can bite you on a multi-user system. It would be better to change the ownership of the file, so that it belongs to the account you run ttd from.

Sent from Tapatalk 2
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
If you do start as root, the permissions can be changed, and allow the ttd account access to the files. Doing so is a bad security practice, which could establish a bad habit, and that can bite you on a multi-user system. It would be better to change the ownership of the file, so that it belongs to the account you run ttd from.
I don't disagree.

For those new to Linux, you would use the "chown" (change owner) command to change the owner of a file. For example, let's say you do this:

Code:
root@raspberrypi:~# ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   19 Oct 29 09:51 log.txt
The first "root" tells you who the owner is of that file. It's root. To change it to "pi", you would issue the following command (as root):

Code:
root@raspberrypi:~# chown pi log.txt
root@raspberrypi:~# ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi root   19 Oct 29 09:51 log.txt
--drew
Old 11-04-2013, 8:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Andy,

Thanks

Jim
Jim,

Yes I think you've hit the nail on the head. The program will grab the remote file each time a tone is received, and before it starts recording audio. It does this so that the "Text Only" emails can be sent right away (before recording) with the latest list of email addresses.

Having the program pull the info from the remote file after each tone set is probably a bit excessive, but it guarantees that changes made to the remote file are used as soon as possible. I can think of a few possible alternatives that might help with this issue:

1) Pull the info from the remote file after recording is done. This would result in the "Text Only" email address not being "up to date" until the next time a page is received. Probably not the end of the world.
2) Pull the info from the remote file every N minutes or hours instead of upon tone detection.

There may be other solutions as well.

Thoughts?

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013, 8:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
2) Pull the info from the remote file every N minutes or hours instead of upon tone detection.
I would suggest #2. Fork a new thread (so you don't stop listening for tones during this procedure) and make a request. Instead of rebuilding the file every X minutes, simply pass a token that can be used to indicate if the data has changed. That way, it makes many requests to see if data has changed, but only downloads the recipient list if there are changes (the token is different).

--drew
Old 11-05-2013, 5:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
I would suggest #2. Fork a new thread (so you don't stop listening for tones during this procedure) and make a request. Instead of rebuilding the file every X minutes, simply pass a token that can be used to indicate if the data has changed. That way, it makes many requests to see if data has changed, but only downloads the recipient list if there are changes (the token is different).

--drew
I agree, no. 2 would be good. I probably make changes to the list once every couple weeks, so even a daily update would be plenty adequate. If i want an immediate update, i can always reboot.
Old 11-08-2013, 8:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Your script looks great. That's a very common way to watch for a process that isn't running as a service. Personally, I like to include a "cd" command in the crontab and would suggest running it every minute. With that in mind, you wouldn't need the @reboot line, just one line that checks every minute (which would include start-up):

* * * * * (cd /root; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1)

[Assuming your script is in /root. Might need to make it /home/pi or wherever your script lives.]

--drew
I added made this change to a copy of TTD that I use for testing purposes. Occasionally, it now starts multiple copies of TTD. Below is my launch.log. Five instances at 11:21 on Nov. 4 and then double instances on Nov. 8 at 9:44 then when rebooted at 9:47.

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat launch.log
Sun Nov 3 18:50:01 EST 2013
Sun Nov 3 19:40:10 EST 2013
Sun Nov 3 21:11:08 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 06:19:48 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 09:58:26 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 10:51:59 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 10:53:04 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 11:21:34 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 11:21:36 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 11:21:37 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 11:32:01 EST 2013
Mon Nov 4 11:22:02 EST 2013
Tue Nov 5 21:25:27 EST 2013
Fri Nov 8 09:44:57 EST 2013
Fri Nov 8 09:45:06 EST 2013
Fri Nov 8 09:47:59 EST 2013
Fri Nov 8 09:48:00 EST 2013

DavidVT are you experiencing any of this?

Here is what my crontab file looks like:

#11-2-13 changed launch script to run every minute per drewhahn suggestion.
* * * * * (cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1)

# 9-13-2013 reload RR stream 2 minutes after loading TTD.
@reboot /bin/sleep 180 ; screen -dmS darkice-screen darkice

#9-12-13 Friday at 9 pm move all files in audio folder to audioBAK folder
0 21 * * 5 mv /home/pi/TTD63/audio/* /home/pi/TTD63/audioBAK

#Friday at 8 pm delete all files in audioBAK folder. This ensures that all audio files are saved for at least one week.
0 20 * * 5 rm /home/pi/TTD63/audioBAK/*

I am also starting a RadioReference feed (darkice) three minutes after reboot.

Jim

Last edited by DC31; 11-08-2013 at 9:00 AM.. Reason: forgot launch.log
Old 11-08-2013, 9:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat launch.log
Mon Nov 4 11:21:34 EST 2013
That's odd. Take a look at /var/log/syslog. Cron logs itself there every time it fires something. See if it actually fired launch.sh that number of times. You can just page through the file, or maybe do something like:
Code:
cd /var/log
grep launch syslog | grep "Nov  8 11"
Note in the command above, that is two spaces after the Nov. Cron should only issue the command once a minute.

--drew
Old 11-08-2013, 1:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
That's odd. Take a look at /var/log/syslog. Cron logs itself there every time it fires something. See if it actually fired launch.sh that number of times. You can just page through the file, or maybe do something like:
Code:
cd /var/log
grep launch syslog | grep "Nov  8 11"
Note in the command above, that is two spaces after the Nov. Cron should only issue the command once a minute.

--drew
Here is what it shows around 11:21 on Nov. 4:

Nov 4 11:16:59 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit' (using servicehelper)
Nov 4 11:16:59 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1' (using servicehelper)
Nov 4 11:17:00 raspberrypi polkitd[2233]: started daemon version 0.105 using authority implementation `local' version `0.105'
Nov 4 11:17:00 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1'
Nov 4 11:17:00 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit'
Nov 4 11:21:31 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2253]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:21:31 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2254]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 11:21:36 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2274]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:21:36 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2283]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:21:37 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2292]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:21:37 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2301]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1' (using servicehelper)
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1'
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Successfully called chroot.
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Successfully dropped privileges.
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Successfully limited resources.
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Running.
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Watchdog thread running.
Nov 4 11:22:00 raspberrypi rtkit-daemon[2438]: Canary thread running.
Nov 4 11:22:01 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2443]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:22:26 raspberrypi pulseaudio[2475]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 4 11:22:28 raspberrypi pulseaudio[2479]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 4 11:22:30 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.UDisks' (using servicehelper)
Nov 4 11:22:30 raspberrypi dbus[2030]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks'
Nov 4 11:22:33 raspberrypi pulseaudio[2504]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 4 11:22:35 raspberrypi pulseaudio[2526]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 4 11:22:36 raspberrypi pulseaudio[2556]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
Nov 4 11:23:04 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2592]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:24:01 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2599]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:25:01 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2610]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1))
Nov 4 11:26:01 raspberrypi /USR/SBIN/CRON[2617]: (pi) CMD ((cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&

At the end I can pretty clearly seeing cron checking every minute.

Jim