RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 7:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default CPU high useage

I have two pi's running both TTD and a RR feed. When first booted and for several days they will run at about 6-7% CPU load. Then suddenly they will jump to 48% or so for each TTD and darkice (RR). When rebooted they will drop again to 6-7% load for several days before jumping back up. Then today I noted an anomaly on one of them, the darkice read 89% while the TTD (python) remained in the 6% range. Any thoughts on what is happening with these loads?

Performance of the pi's and the two programs seems unaffected by this. They are both rock-solid performers.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2013, 2:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do the loads jump up when TTD is reading tones or is it idle?
Old 11-22-2013, 5:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhedge View Post
Do the loads jump up when TTD is reading tones or is it idle?
I can't really say when they jump as I haven't witnessed it. Normally they are in the 6% range when it is idle, 30% or so when TTD is processing audio, and around 75% when ffmpeg is doing its thing. They they drop back to the 6% idle state. When left running for several days it will jump to 48% or so for each python and darkice when idle.

One of my linux gurus told me that he would suspect some sort of infinite loop in pulseaudio. That is way over my head to figure out.

I have gone to a daily reboot and since have not seen the high CPU numbers. Even when they were high they didn't seem to affect the performance.
Old 11-28-2013, 7:26 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Is there a SD card image that has the complete installation for download. I'd like to give the Pi a try but I'm not very versed with Linux since I dumped my IRLP node 3 years ago.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:54 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3nsv View Post
Is there a SD card image that has the complete installation for download. I'd like to give the Pi a try but I'm not very versed with Linux since I dumped my IRLP node 3 years ago.
Check your personal messages for a link to my image. I'd rather not post it here as it changes frequently and the link would go stale. I am not disciplined like Andy and don't do a very good job of tracking versions.

If anyone else would like a copy, send me a PM or post here.

With my image, once you figure out how to use VNC to access the pi remotely, basically everything is then GUI driven, so you don't need to know much Linux.
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2013, 3:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default TTD auto start

Copied in from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE3FYN View Post
Hey,

I'm setting up TwoToneDetect on a Raspberry Pi, and so far things are moving along rather well. I know enough Linux to be dangerous, which is to say, not much.

What is the Linux equivalent of DOS's autoexec.bat file? I want the Pi to automatically load the TwoToneDetect application when it boots up, in the event that it shuts down due to power failure or whatever.

Also wondering if there's a tool to keep track of its IP address for remote SSH logins. I also run several amateur radio IRLP stations, and their software allows me to type in the station name, and have the IP address magically resolved.

cheers
Warren VE3FYN

Warren,

Is this what you are looking for?:

Auto Login and Auto Start in Raspberry Pi

Or do you have that part figured out already?

On my pi there is a script called launch.sh that contains the following:

#!/bin/sh

ps auxw | grep TwoToneDetect | grep -v grep |grep -v SCREEN >> /dev/null

if [ $? != 0 ]

then

date >> launch.log

cd TTD63

screen -dmS TTD python TwoToneDetect64Pi.pyc & > /dev/null

fi

Then there is a line in crontab checks to see that TTD is running once per minute and if it is not, calls that script. When booted up the first time it checks (within one minute of boot up) TTD isn't running so it is started.

The line in crontab:

* * * * * (cd /home/pi/; ./launch.sh > /dev/null 2>&1)

Of course, you will need to adjust the path to the .pyc file as yours may be different. Same for the launch.sh file.

I guess that I should also tell you that the above script launches TTD in a detached screen. that way you can log out from the pi and TTD will continue to run. Also TTD will be running whenever you have the pi plugged in. If you stop it, that crontab line and the script will restart it one minute later. You can see what is running in detached screens by typing $ screen -list

Jim
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just got my Pi running Yesterday (Thanks in part to DC31) and I'm noticing the MP3 file size is larger then those generated by the Windows version. Is this normal or is there something I need to change to correct this?
Old 12-09-2013, 7:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

And it looks as though my Pi crashed this afternoon. It wouldn't respond via Putty and I didn't have a monitor attached. Any idea where to look for the culprit? The TTD log is empty and I'm not sure if any other crash logs are created.
Old 12-09-2013, 8:47 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3nsv View Post
And it looks as though my Pi crashed this afternoon. It wouldn't respond via Putty and I didn't have a monitor attached. Any idea where to look for the culprit? The TTD log is empty and I'm not sure if any other crash logs are created.
are you accessing it wirelessly? I experienced crashes when attempting to run it wireless. Try wired ethernet.

Other than that, I don't have any good ideas what might have caused your crash.
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2013, 9:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Nope connected via Ethernet but I suspect my modem may have crashed around the time of it freezing and there was a couple pages around the time it happened. I'll give it another go and see what happens.
Old 12-10-2013, 1:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thumbs up DC31 TTD image success!

I just wanted to share that I was successful in pulling down DC31's TTDpi image and making it work on new hardware without any significant issues. I was able to load it on a 4gig card with more than 40% free space if I understand the df command properly..

Thank you Jim!

The two TTDpi units are both running next to my XP p4 box all from the same scanner.
My intention is to monitor reliability across the two TTDpi units. The P4 box remains my 'production' box for now. I want to retire it's power consumption but otherwise the p4 runs around the clock and acts as the remote terminal for the Pi's and my esxi 4 box.

My original TTDpi-1 is running TTD60, standard USB (v2), pulse running at the system level with keyboard and mouse functional but never used. This has no xWindows running, only console access. It has been running for quite some time but has infrequent tones misidentified between two fairly close sets.

The new TTDpi-3 is running TTD63, USB (v1), pulse at user level and thus no ability for keyboard/mouse. Jim configured this with remote VNC ability to the very useable GUI/windows environment. I anticipate better audio quality from this unit. However on setup today I learned my volume had been set too low on Pi-1.

Both use the same USB audio device labelled "7.1ch sound".
Both are using wired Ethernet.
All three TTDs are fed from the cheap eBay sourced scanner: RadioShack pro2040
The scanner works great in my remote location using a simple walmart sourced flat bar amplified tv antenna. "GE enhanced HDTV, HDTV,UHF,VHF". I bought that to drop my dish but did not get the results I hoped for. I tried it on my scanner when the foliage killed my signals and was very pleased by the results. When the dispatch center hits the wrong tower, my pagers will not go off but TTD will almost always capture a decent audible message for my users with this indoor antenna. I had started to install a VHF roof antenna but stopped once I tried this set top antenna solution!

(In case you are wondering, Pi-2 is assigned to monitor my outdoor wood boiler. Jim has been quite helpful with that project also)

YMMV but I wanted to thank Jim in the forum for his good work!
Old 12-10-2013, 8:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So far so good on my Pi here also today with no crashes. I've done the same as David and paralleled the Pi with the Windows virtual machine on my ESXi server. I'm running 6 virtual machines for various departments around my area and I'd like to deploy these directly at the departments if proven reliable and get them out of my basement.

Next up is to try and set up Nagios to remotely monitor these units.
Old 12-10-2013, 8:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ve3nsv,
Will this work for nagios and a group of TTD pi's?
Monitoring the super computer with Nagios - Part 1: Installation My Life With Pi

A lower tech and/or temporary idea might be to post system data / status messages to google docs from each TTDpi box.
David

Last edited by davidVT; 12-10-2013 at 9:05 PM..
Old 12-11-2013, 6:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default pi capacity

Thanks for your kind words, DavidVT but you deserve much of the credit yourself for where we have taken this!

I took stock of my pi this morning. My tones.cfg file has 45 tone sets including two "Test" sets. A total of 264 email addresses. The largest list of emails that I have for a single tone set is 42. It handles all this quite well.

I use gmail for outgoing emails. I estimate an average of 20-30 tone detections daily.

Jim
Old 12-18-2013, 9:32 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Well the DC31 TTDpi edition continues to work well with the test audience after some tolerance tweaking.
I have just mothballed the windows xp p4 box, and pulled the tones file from it (xp TTDv60) and put the pi TTDv63 into production....

Any new version change issues I should worry about with moving that tones file from v60 windows to v63 Linux?

I noticed the desktop link to the TTD startup log file shows an empty file. Jim is that normal for yours? From winSCP I saw startup information in that file but when I tried to review from the desktop link it emptied out? I had to modify the launch.sh and crontab slightly for the autostart to work.

Fingers crossed but I expect success!

David

Last edited by davidVT; 12-18-2013 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Changed from plan to To DID it!
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhahn View Post
Earlier, somebody mentioned making an outbound call to a group of people and playing the recorded dispatch. You would need a bit of programming know-how, but this would be trivial to do with Twilio (Twilio Cloud Communications - APIs for Voice, VoIP and Text Messaging).

They bill $1/month plus 2-cents/minute (per call) and can initiate one call a second. So, if you have 10 people you want to be called and play a 45-second dispatch, they would be dialed within 10 seconds and cost you 20-cents.

I've programmed to Twilio for several projects -- I just wrote code to text the initial notification of a TTD dispatch to a select group of our ambulance corps members. If only my audio card would arrive. Arggh.

--drew
Drew, How did your Twilio project end up? Success? I am about ready to embark on setting something of this sort up and was wondering if there are any pitfalls to avoid that you would like to share.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
Old 12-21-2013, 11:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I find my new production PI is plagued with noise. The connections all seem to be the same but it sounds like a car with bad spark plug wires is outside my house.
You can hear it on my feed but unfortunately the radio activity is very low.

I hear it from the scanner with the PI removed.

Anyone have some thoughts about where to go with this?
Old 12-22-2013, 9:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Environmental

First an update on my noise and then a question about filtering:
------
Well I think I have part of my answer. Mother Nature dropped our power for a bit this morning.
My fire/ems pager and the scanner on a UPS were dramatically static free until the power came back.

Unfortunately one Ethernet hub was missed on the UPS configuration so my web feed was interrupted.

Time to dig for the power related noise source..
------

My secondary interest in posting about the noise was a curiosity for implementing software notch filtering of the pulseaudio stream. While testing my streaming feed on the desktop windows box, I noticed a very effective notch filter in the radiofeed software. Is there a way to do that in Linux on the pi?

David

Last edited by davidVT; 12-22-2013 at 9:43 AM..
Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default pi error

Andy

i'm not sure what's going on just today when my pi takes audio on TTD it terminates the program and act like its freezes up. im stumped and I had Jim DC31 look at it and it stumped him also here is the error message I keep getting when audio is played. Any idea?
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default pi error

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
Andy

i'm not sure what's going on just today when my pi takes audio on TTD it terminates the program and act like its freezes up. im stumped and I had Jim DC31 look at it and it stumped him also here is the error message I keep getting when audio is played. Any idea?
another picture
Attached Images