RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Some report better results running the pi from a usb stick.. Some information: Raspberry Pi • View topic - Why running from USB better than from sd card?
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

replaced the SD card again and it works...
Old 02-14-2014, 7:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
replaced the SD card again and it works...
also my Verizon costumers are receiving alerts again? Your guess is as good as mine
Old 02-21-2014, 8:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
i have set up a single pi running two instances of TTD and two instances of darkice supplying Broadcastify feeds. it ran through the night last night without issues.
andy,

some early results and questions:

TTD and Darkice, two instances of each on a single pi. the pi runs them without complaint.

The CPU usage for TTD has jumped up to the 40% range for each instance. It had previously been in the 18-20% range. Could this be related to my upgrading to 65c with the enhanced signal processing at the same time?

I seem to be getting some flaky activity. On stacked pages, I seem to be getting only blank audio in the attachment to the second page. It is the full 30 second recording, just completely void of audio. And also in darkice there seem to be skips in the feed. I noticed this once around the time of a stacked page. Way too early on to say that these are related to the dual audio sources. I am investigating further.

It all seems to work fine on the standard single page sequences.

Jim
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
andy,

some early results and questions:

TTD and Darkice, two instances of each on a single pi. the pi runs them without complaint.

The CPU usage for TTD has jumped up to the 40% range for each instance. It had previously been in the 18-20% range. Could this be related to my upgrading to 65c with the enhanced signal processing at the same time?

I seem to be getting some flaky activity. On stacked pages, I seem to be getting only blank audio in the attachment to the second page. It is the full 30 second recording, just completely void of audio. And also in darkice there seem to be skips in the feed. I noticed this once around the time of a stacked page. Way too early on to say that these are related to the dual audio sources. I am investigating further.

It all seems to work fine on the standard single page sequences.

Jim
Thanks for the feedback Jim. When I get some time I'll dig deeper into what is causing the increased CPU load. If it is the additional signal processing I might yank it out. It provides a lot of benefit when dealing with very short duration tones (which I needed for FiveToneDetect) but may not be worth the additional CPU load for TwoToneDetect.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014, 8:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

i just checked tonight's pager tests and it does appear that i am missing audio for the second set in the stacked set every time.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
i just checked tonight's pager tests and it does appear that i am missing audio for the second set in the stacked set every time.
Ok I've got a dual TTD on Pi setup with v65c now, will so how it does on stacked pages. CPU load doesn't seem to have increased from v60 for me. I'm seeing about 8-9% CPU load per copy of TTD, 6% for pulseaudio, 5% for darkice, around 30% - 40% total CPU load. This is during normal monitoring, not during recording. I also have darkice running on one of the two inputs.

Edit: It just caught a stacked page (two pages back to back). Both recordings have the same audio, although it sounds like the dispatcher got distracted and didn't start talking until after it had stopped recording, so not a great test.

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Old 02-22-2014, 4:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Ok I've got a dual TTD on Pi setup with v65c now, will so how it does on stacked pages. CPU load doesn't seem to have increased from v60 for me. I'm seeing about 8-9% CPU load per copy of TTD, 6% for pulseaudio, 5% for darkice, around 30% - 40% total CPU load. This is during normal monitoring, not during recording. I also have darkice running on one of the two inputs.

Edit: It just caught a stacked page (two pages back to back). Both recordings have the same audio, although it sounds like the dispatcher got distracted and didn't start talking until after it had stopped recording, so not a great test.

Andy
i see the same %'s when everything is idle. During voice communication the TTD jumps up to 40% range. Then when FFMPEG does its thing after a tone detection ffmpeg usually jumps up to 75% CPU. You have to be sitting right there watching for the FFMPEG as it is only on the screen briefly. Actually, I don't remember if I have seen that with v65c but earlier versions jumped to that point.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How are you guys running each separate feed? I've got the following script set up to change which sound card pulseaudio looks at, but it doesn't seem to work right:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
set PULSE_SINK alsa_output.usb-Creative_Technology_Ltd_Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_Go__Pro_00231422-00-Pro.analog-stereo
set PULSE_SOURCE alsa_input.usb-Creative_Technology_Ltd_Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_Go__Pro_00231422-00-Pro.analog-stereo
screen -dm -S countyFeed darkice -c /etc/darkiceSC.cfg
Any suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2kvy View Post
How are you guys running each separate feed? I've got the following script set up to change which sound card pulseaudio looks at, but it doesn't seem to work right:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
set PULSE_SINK alsa_output.usb-Creative_Technology_Ltd_Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_Go__Pro_00231422-00-Pro.analog-stereo
set PULSE_SOURCE alsa_input.usb-Creative_Technology_Ltd_Sound_Blaster_X-Fi_Go__Pro_00231422-00-Pro.analog-stereo
screen -dm -S countyFeed darkice -c /etc/darkiceSC.cfg
Any suggestions?
I launch mine from a line in crontab rather than from a script. but here is how it works for me:

@reboot /bin/sleep 30 ; cd TTD2 ; PULSE_SOURCE=alsa_input.usb-Solid_State_System_Co._Ltd._USB_PnP_Audio_Device-00-Device_1.analog-mono screen -dmS TTD_GFD python TwoToneDetectPi.pyc

All one line, of course, line wrap here may make it look like two or three. I have four things loading at boot so the sleep is to make them load one at a time.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I launch mine from a line in crontab rather than from a script. but here is how it works for me:

@reboot /bin/sleep 30 ; cd TTD2 ; PULSE_SOURCE=alsa_input.usb-Solid_State_System_Co._Ltd._USB_PnP_Audio_Device-00-Device_1.analog-mono screen -dmS TTD_GFD python TwoToneDetectPi.pyc

All one line, of course, line wrap here may make it look like two or three. I have four things loading at boot so the sleep is to make them load one at a time.
Running it all in one line seems to have made it work. Weird that using set didn't work, but whatever, if it's working, it's working!

I've got several small scripts that monitor the system. If, for whatever reason, something ends up crashing, cron calls my monitoring scripts every 5 minutes, and corrects any problem it finds. Seems to be working so far!
Old 03-04-2014, 4:52 PM

I am brand new to Raspberry Pi, I have been using two tone detect on pc for about a month now and have that figured out.

I am starting from scratch with my pi and I have raspian up and going however I am running into an issue when setting things up.

when I got to the point where I am installing PIP I get this

pi@raspberrypi ~/python-distribute $ cd ..
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ mkdir pip
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd pip
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ curl -O https://pypi.python.org/packages/sou...-1.3.1.tar.gz#
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 241k 100 241k 0 0 91369 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 92316
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ tar zxf pip-1.3.1.tar.gz
tar (child): pip-1.3.1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

any clues? does anyone have a working image that is win32 disk imager compatible? I tried using DC31's image posted back in Oct but didn't have any luck with that working.
Old 03-04-2014, 7:24 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhp89 View Post
I am brand new to Raspberry Pi, I have been using two tone detect on pc for about a month now and have that figured out.

I am starting from scratch with my pi and I have raspian up and going however I am running into an issue when setting things up.

pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ curl -O https://pypi.python.org/packages/sou...-1.3.1.tar.gz#

any clues? does anyone have a working image that is win32 disk imager compatible? I tried using DC31's image posted back in Oct but didn't have any luck with that working.

yes, you hit the common stumbling point. It is curl -O, that is hyphen upper case O. If you copy and paste the line from the instructions, it puts in some sort of strange character that sort of looks like a hyphen.

Last edited by DC31; 03-04-2014 at 7:36 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 03-04-2014, 7:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

Secondly, your post above shows the https line ending in a #. Not really sure where the hash is coming from but it shouldn't be there.
Old 03-04-2014, 9:28 PM

I am having a problem with the new version and I hope someone can help...... I can not get any AMR email sent to anyone with AT&T service. Never had this problem on the past version TTD64. Any help would be great
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2014, 2:25 PM

Ok well today I am getting this error any ideas in this one?

pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ curl -O https://pypi.python.org/packages/sou...p-1.3.1.tar.gz
100 241k 100 241k 0 0 97474 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 98525
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ cd pip-1.3.1
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip/pip-1.3.1 $ sudo python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 6, in <module>
from setuptools import setup
ImportError: No module named setuptools
Old 03-06-2014, 7:26 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Ok well today I am getting this error any ideas in this one?

pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ curl -O https://pypi.python.org/packages/sou...p-1.3.1.tar.gz
100 241k 100 241k 0 0 97474 0 0:00:02 0:00:02 --:--:-- 98525
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip $ cd pip-1.3.1
pi@raspberrypi ~/pip/pip-1.3.1 $ sudo python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 6, in <module>
from setuptools import setup
ImportError: No module named setuptools
it is kinda a shot in the dark, but i would try going back to the first curl -O command ( the one that gets distribute...) and running that again followed by the subsequent steps. you will need to cd to the python-distribute directory first.

mkdir python-distribute
cd python-distribute
curl -O http://python-distribute.org/distribute_setup.py
sudo python distribute_setup.py

Setuptools is included with the distribute stuff, I think.

Isn't Linux fun...?
Old 03-07-2014, 8:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default TwoToneDetect on a Raspberry Pi - How To

I've asked before but does anyone else have audio issues from the pi? Like the USB audio stick light is suppose to blink. But a lot of times it stays solid until i do a few restarts and monkey with it or I left it sit and finally it starts to blink and pickup audio.
Is it just me or does anyone else have these issues? Might there be a fix?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

New audio card for the PI:

Community: Wolfson Audio Card | element14

It's more expensive than a USB setup but it was designed by the creators of the PI. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone tries it.
Old 03-11-2014, 1:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete7919 View Post
New audio card for the PI:

Community: Wolfson Audio Card | element14

It's more expensive than a USB setup but it was designed by the creators of the PI. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone tries it.
You beat me to it! I'm excited to try it.