RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording - Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 9:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliby19 View Post
I tried disabling the 800 MHz/SafeT sound card in pavucontrol, leaving only the audio from my scanner that is dedicated to our dispatch frequency. However, it hasn't seemed to help/do anything.

Any other thoughts?
Swap the scanners to the opposite sound cards?

Andy

If you need help with TwoToneDetect please read this post first
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2013, 9:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default TwoToneDetect on a Raspberry Pi - How To

Haha I already thought of that... But I won't have physical access to this system again for another week or so... Trying to troubleshoot/fix remotely if at all possible.

Another issue I noticed is the audio quality is terrible. I tried forcing to USB 1.1 via the flag in cmdline.txt previously but my raspi threw errors immediately upon boot (and would not boot)... So not planning on doing that again.
Old 06-07-2013, 9:29 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Playback during record

Andy,
I have arranged the audio out from TTD as the input to a RR feed so that the only audio you hear on the feed is the dispatch announcements, not routine radio traffic. Sometimes I have noticed the audio to be quite echoy. I have determined that this is likely when two tone sets are sent out in advance of the announcement, likely causing TTD to try to feed the audio out twice. I have attached a link to an audio sample. In the first two announcements, you don't hear the initial tone. At about 34 seconds into the sample, you will hear a tone set at the start of the announcement. That is actually the second tone set in a stacked page. That audio echos.

http://home.comcast.net/~jaburnham/2...00_trimmed.mp3

Not high on your list of priorities, I understand, but is there something that could be tweaked to correct this?

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-07-2013, 3:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC31 View Post
Andy,
I have arranged the audio out from TTD as the input to a RR feed so that the only audio you hear on the feed is the dispatch announcements, not routine radio traffic. Sometimes I have noticed the audio to be quite echoy. I have determined that this is likely when two tone sets are sent out in advance of the announcement, likely causing TTD to try to feed the audio out twice. I have attached a link to an audio sample. In the first two announcements, you don't hear the initial tone. At about 34 seconds into the sample, you will hear a tone set at the start of the announcement. That is actually the second tone set in a stacked page. That audio echos.

http://home.comcast.net/~jaburnham/2...00_trimmed.mp3

Not high on your list of priorities, I understand, but is there something that could be tweaked to correct this?

Thanks

Jim
Yeah, I think I can fix that, I'll add it to the list.

Andy

Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So, after starting TTD on the Pi, I then go to start Darkice for streaming to Broadcastify. However, I get this error:

DarkIce: DarkIce.cpp:1187: can't open connector [0]

Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2013, 7:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So, on top of my previous issue (getting this error: "DarkIce: DarkIce.cpp:1187: can't open connector [0]" after starting Darkice after having started TTD on the Pi first), I am having another problem --

The tone detection seems to be missing a good chunk of the tones I have set up. It's only getting one department's tones out of the six I've set up (which worked fine with the Windows version of TTD).

Any ideas on what to do here?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 7:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
So, on top of my previous issue (getting this error: "DarkIce: DarkIce.cpp:1187: can't open connector [0]" after starting Darkice after having started TTD on the Pi first), I am having another problem --

The tone detection seems to be missing a good chunk of the tones I have set up. It's only getting one department's tones out of the six I've set up (which worked fine with the Windows version of TTD).

Any ideas on what to do here?

Thanks!
Did you create a new tones.cfg file for the Pi or did you copy it over from Windows? If you created a new one, any chance you have a copy/paste issue with the same [Tone#] more than once?

What version were you running on Windows?

Andy

Old 06-20-2013, 7:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
Did you create a new tones.cfg file for the Pi or did you copy it over from Windows? If you created a new one, any chance you have a copy/paste issue with the same [Tone#] more than once?

What version were you running on Windows?

Andy
I copied the tone sections over from my Windows config into the Pi tones.cfg. I don't believe I have the same tone # more than once.

As for version... I believe it was 58.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:00 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Here's what one of my tones.cfg sections looks like:

Code:
[Tone1]
Atone = 1000.0                                          ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 2000.0                                          ;B tone frequency in Hz
Btonelength = 3                                         ;Length of time to wait to check again for the B tone after finding it the first time
Btonedebounce = 0                                       ;Value  between 0 and 4 that specifies how many times in a row the B tone must be detected in order to alert
Description = Township Fire                               ;Tone set description
mp3_Emails = email@gmail.com                              ;Email addresses to send mp3 attachment to.  Separate with commas
amr_Emails =                    ;Email addresses to send AMR attachment to.  Separate with commas
I noticed the Pi tones.cfg has atonelength, btonelength, etc. that I did not include in my tones.cfg. Could that be it?

Last edited by aliby19; 06-20-2013 at 8:04 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2013, 8:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Code:
[Tone1]
Btonelength = 3                                         ;Length of time to wait to check again for the B tone after finding it the first time
Btonedebounce = 0                                       ;Value  between 0 and 4 that specifies how many times in a row the B tone must be detected in order to alert
mp3_Emails = email@gmail.com                              ;Email addresses to send mp3 attachment to.  Separate with commas
amr_Emails =                    ;Email addresses to send AMR attachment to.  Separate with commas
Ok, the Pi uses the v60 algorithm, which is quite a bit different from v58. Try setting Btonelength = .6 and see if that helps.

Andy

Old 06-20-2013, 8:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Ok, the Pi uses the v60 algorithm, which is quite a bit different from v58. Try setting Btonelength = .6 and see if that helps.

Andy
Thanks Andy, will try that and let you know how things go!

Only other question is still about the "Can't open connector" darkice issue. If I start TTD before starting Darkice, I get this error. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2013, 8:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks Andy, will try that and let you know how things go!

Only other question is still about the "Can't open connector" darkice issue. If I start TTD before starting Darkice, I get this error. Any thoughts?
Sorry, I'm not going to be much help there. I'm not a Darkice or Linux guru...still learning myself. When I get some time I may create an image that has TTD and Darkice working together as a starting point for people, but I want to get my setup a little more stable before doing that.

Andy

Old 06-21-2013, 5:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default tones.cfrg v60pi

Quote:

Code:
[Tone1]

I noticed the Pi tones.cfg has atonelength, btonelength, etc. that I did not include in my tones.cfg. Could that be it?
Code:

Try something along the lines of the following format:

[Tone1]
Atone = 1000.0 ;A tone frequency in Hz
Btone = 2000.0 ;B tone frequency in Hz
Atonelength = 0.6
Btonelength = 1 ;Length of time to wait to check again for the B tone after finding it the first time
record_delay = 1
Description = Township Fire ;Tone set description
mp3_Emails = email@gmail.com ;Email addresses to send mp3 attachment to. Separate with commas
amr_Emails = ;Email addresses to send AMR attachment to. Separate with commas

[/CODE]

v60pi uses Atonelength and Btonelength and doesn't use a Btonedebounce parameter. the above settings work flawlessly for me. There are also other optional parameters. See the SampleTones file in the v60 download for those if you need them.

I haven't yet consolidated to one pi. I am running two pi's, one for TTD and one for RR feed so I can be much help on your other issue. It sounds like you might have an issue with Darkice recogniziing the proper sound card or some such.

My project this week is to build a temperature monitoring system using a pi for my wood fired boiler in the garage. One-wire networks are pretty neat with the pi. Then next winter I iwill have more time to work on TTD adn RR as I won't be running to the garage to see if I need to throw another chunk on the fire. http://wannabe.guru.org/scott/hobbies/temperature/

Good luck
Old 06-28-2013, 7:27 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

To those using the TTDpi, how is your SD card storage life?

I noticed my TTDpi has been crashing every day and yesterday I finally logged into the headless unit to find out why.
I found the root file storage at 100%.
Expanding the partition gave me some storage on my 8gig card but I am curious if others see the cards filling quickly?

Given time this weekend I may try to move one of my new Pi's to an NFS boot solution to remove the read write SDcard operation from the process.
Otherwise I have been happy with the audio and capture process of the TTDpi solution. I had hoped to put it into production over the 4th but will wait to watch the SDcard consumption issue.

Full disclosure, I have added or tested many applications in parallel with TTD. Thus it is possible one of them is eating up the SDcard. A fresh clean minimal install per Andy's instructions is called for in the near future.

David
Old 06-28-2013, 8:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVT View Post
To those using the TTDpi, how is your SD card storage life?

I noticed my TTDpi has been crashing every day and yesterday I finally logged into the headless unit to find out why.
I found the root file storage at 100%.
Expanding the partition gave me some storage on my 8gig card but I am curious if others see the cards filling quickly?

Given time this weekend I may try to move one of my new Pi's to an NFS boot solution to remove the read write SDcard operation from the process.
Otherwise I have been happy with the audio and capture process of the TTDpi solution. I had hoped to put it into production over the 4th but will wait to watch the SDcard consumption issue.

Full disclosure, I have added or tested many applications in parallel with TTD. Thus it is possible one of them is eating up the SDcard. A fresh clean minimal install per Andy's instructions is called for in the near future.

David
David,
My TTP PI runs continuously without problems. I have 46 tone sets in it for the whole county so it's not like it is sitting there idly. My guess is that it detects maybe 30-40 tone sets a day. Exacly what is fiiling up on your SD card? Is it the Audio folder?

I don't remember for sure now, but i think that i expanded the partition to fill th card when i set i up. It is running on an 8 gb card. I just emptied the audio folder yesterday, must have been 500 files there at least. I don't remember when it was previously emptied.
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2013, 8:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Sounds good, thank you for the feedback. I am at 49% after expanding it this morning.
I get so few pages that testing for reliability is a challenge.
I am trying to figure out what it is. I deleted the Audio files when I discovered the problem and the 100% did not change...
It probably is all my testing that filled it. Did you leave webmin running? My usage is less than I anticipated. I am becoming good at tunnels to the command line and find that meets my needs most of the time.
David

fyi I am trying to make this work:
http://box.matto.nl/raspberrynfs.html

Last edited by davidVT; 06-28-2013 at 9:57 PM..
Old 07-01-2013, 6:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVT View Post
Sounds good, thank you for the feedback. I am at 49% after expanding it this morning.
I get so few pages that testing for reliability is a challenge.
I am trying to figure out what it is. I deleted the Audio files when I discovered the problem and the 100% did not change...
It probably is all my testing that filled it. Did you leave webmin running? My usage is less than I anticipated. I am becoming good at tunnels to the command line and find that meets my needs most of the time.
David

fyi I am trying to make this work:
Boot Raspberry Pi with rootfs on NFS | box.matto.nl
Okay, Dave, fill me in. What are you trying to do with the NFS? I am not familiar with it but it sounds like a way of hosting the operating files remotely from the Pi? I feel like I am missing something here. We are using the pi to avoid having a PC running continuously. To use a remotely hosted file wouldn't you need to run the PC? Or are you hosting the file somewhere in the cloud?
Old 07-01-2013, 8:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I had hoped to remote load the OS and can see it is possible but will use one of the other Pi's for that testing. In my case the file server runs 24x7 so that is not an extra overhead. The hot P4 in the room is a problem that the PiTTD will replace eventually.

Now that the other Pi's have arrived, I need to get back to a bare PiTTD so to restore some reliability to the scene. Autostart works great, page reliability was great but has dropped off considerably, audio is getting worse which may be related to reliability if the tones are too garbled for the routine to cope with.
Tonight I decided to move the PulseAudio to systemstart rather than USR start. I read the warnings and feel that since this will always be headless (once I stop playing), I see no reason to run pulseaudio at the user level. Will this make any difference otherwise, who knows???

Yet Another Musical (Raspberry) Pi Mark's Pages Of Stuff

Outdoor antenna arrived finally, so once the thunderstorms mellow a bit I will get that put up. Hopefully my signals will return to at least winter level....

I am enjoying the Pi experience. Great for our rainy days....
Old 07-01-2013, 9:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Version 61pi

andy,

upgraded to V61 on the pi this morning. from my records it looks like 13 pages decoded today. No problems encountered.

Jim
Old 07-02-2013, 6:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
You may need to make some changes to your pulseaudio setup to get the correct USB card flowing into pulse as the source. There's probably a way to do this from the command line, but I do it from the X-windows interface using pavucontrol.

Right now TTD/LevelMeter are limited to using pulseaudio as the input because using the hardware directly doesn't let you change the sample rate. I may get smart enough to figure out a better way some day, but that's a rainy day project.

Andy
Okay, i spent last night muddling (or pehaps bumbling is a better term) around trying to figure out multiple sound cards on the pi. I didn't have much luck, running into similar error messages as detailed in Alibi's thread. I am trying to run two instances of TTD with separate audio feeds to each with separate scanners/sound cards. However, TTD wants to use Pulse as its audio input and there is only one Pulse listing. Has anyone figured out a way to direct an indivudual sound card input to a specific PA output? Or some similar arrangement that allows two TTD's to work with two usb sound cards?

Jim