RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 9:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Back up power supply

I provide the feed for Seneca county NY and we have our share of power outtages. I have searched on here and could'nt find any post where people have talked about battery back up power supplies for scanners and computers. which ones are good and which ones should i not waste my money on? what are you guys using? I want to ba able to run the scanner the computer and monitor for atleast a couple hours when the power is out. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Default Backup power for scanner feed.

I like and use APC SmartUPS for backup power, since these are very reliable units and work thru brownout conditions WITHOUT switching to the battery for longer lifespan. A SmartUPS 900 or 1250 works great for the application you mention... you can attach a larger battery if you need longer run-time.

Remember to connect your internet modem/router/etc as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Backup battery

A couple of deep cycle batteries maintained with a float charger is a good start. You also would need the necessary adapters for the proper radio voltage and inverters for the computer and monitor. A laptop would be a plus as the built in battery would give you at least a couple of hours. A large enough UPS to run a computer for two hours would be quite expensive.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When I first did my radio stand I used one of the computer back ups to power my radios. I have everything running on either 12 volts or 9 volts depending on the radios that are on. My main power for my set up is an old computer power supply. I also built a box to hold 4 of the 12 volt sealed batteries that come in the back up units. They are 7AH batteries wired in paralell. Some of the batteries have gone bad and need replaced. My power supply can be switched for 12 volt power when the computer back up shuts off. I am working on a float charging circuit to keep the bank of batteries charged. I have 2 12 volt 12AH batteries I may use in place of the 4 other batteries. I also have a 12 volt 26AH battery I thought about using on my back up that my 2 computers are running off of. You may want to think about a computer back up supply that could be powered by a higher capicaty 12 volt battery. I know the company I work for has a battery back up system for our computer system, but those units are large and take a fork lift to move. I know the only draw back on using a lead acid battery is keeping it inside a living enviroment and also charging it due to the gases produced while the battery is on charge. I hope this helps and maybe gives you some ideas on something to build or set up.

Wes
Old 05-30-2013, 1:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

in my computer i put a M4-ATX 250W DC-DC ATX auto car PC power supply
and apicoUPS-120 ATX DC micro UPS. i have two 110amp hour battery
and a 12 power supply to power it
my cable modem and router and scanner run of the m4-atx 12volts output
so if the batterys get low it will shut-off everything
i can run on backup for 15+ hour
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2013, 2:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default thanks

thanks for the help guys ill try a few things as mentioned and see what works best.