RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Software > Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording

Streaming / Broadcasting / Audio Recording Interested in putting your scanner online for others to hear? Want to listen to other radios on the internet. This forum is here for you to discuss these topics related to streaming scanners online.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Using Python to Update Icecast Scanner Audio Feeds with a Raspberry Pi

You're welcome. Glad you got it working!
Sponsored links

Old 02-18-2014, 6:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Any chance I could persuade you to get this working on the bcd536hp? Also, can you modify it to display the radio identifiers as well?
Old 02-18-2014, 9:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sure. It would be a great functionality to add. I'm glad you suggested it. I might need your help to develop/test it since I don't have either of the new units. The first thing I'll have to find out is if UPMan has published the serial comm protocol on his website as he's done for the other models. Once I figure out what commands the new models use, then we can easily modify/create a version of the Python script to support them.

As for radio IDs, we should be able to add that to the display, as long as it's one of the items of data returned via the serial queries. The data is customizable by the user to modify order, length, etc of items displayed.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just checked the Uniden wiki and can't see the serial protocol listed for the 536 yet. If anyone knows if/when and where this might be published, let me know. You could try the 996XT Python script and see if it works. From the 536 manual It looks like from the serial port uses 4800 baud, so you might start there. You'll also probably need a null modem also. I don't know if the USB connection will work with the Raspberry Pi. It looks like there's an .inf driver file needed, so probably that would preclude it's use with the RPi, unless someone can write a linux driver for it. So if the serial port can be used like in older models and we can get the comm protocol, then we should be able to make it work.
Old 02-19-2014, 1:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm probably in over my head, but I will do what I can to help.
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2014, 1:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Does this help answer any of your questions?

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2128386
Old 02-22-2014, 5:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Using Python to Update Icecast Scanner Audio Feeds with a Raspberry Pi

From looking around other threads it looks like the serial commands are the same as the 996XT in terms of getting the talkgroup info. If the serial/GPS jack really does provide serial data, then you should be able to use the existing 996XT script I already wrote along with a serial cable, null modem and USB to serial adapter and get the data into your raspberry pi.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Gordon's Scanner Radio app too!
What is this?? Have I missed something?
Old 02-23-2014, 8:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Do you know of any easy way to determine if the serial port is providing serial data with my windows pc? I am afraid if it does not work I won't have enough knowledge of the subject to determine if it is really not transmitting serial data or if I have done something else wrong. I am actually currently broadcasting on my 996xt, so maybe I will get the script running on that first to eliminate some possibility of other errors. My 536 will be headed back to Uniden soon for the recall, maybe it should just make a stop at your house on the way...
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2orescue View Post
Do you know of any easy way to determine if the serial port is providing serial data with my windows pc? I am afraid if it does not work I won't have enough knowledge of the subject to determine if it is really not transmitting serial data or if I have done something else wrong. I am actually currently broadcasting on my 996xt, so maybe I will get the script running on that first to eliminate some possibility of other errors. My 536 will be headed back to Uniden soon for the recall, maybe it should just make a stop at your house on the way...
If you are simply trying to confirm serial data to the computer from the scanner you can use hyperterminal in windows. I am using a 396xt so I can only assume the 436 is similar. Set the C-Ch output on scanner and <hold> on a trunked system. Set hyperterminal to 8-n-1 and the flow control xon - xoff. You should see data flashing and the system type in the terminal window.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default BC780XLT

Has anyone got this to work with the 780XLT? I got the MetaPy8.py script working well with it, but I'd like to have the full alpha tag functionality, and I never got the MetaPy.py script working with the 780.

It doesn't seem to like my .csv file either, as it has made no difference on what shows up on the player.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 08-24-2014, 9:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question My Own Web Page

Hello, and thank you for all of your work. Not sure I have a clear understanding about the internet side of this, for the end user. Can the information from a BCD 996XT be displayed on my own web page along with the audio? I don't really want to use it on a public site.

Mick - W7CAT
Old 08-24-2014, 11:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sure. You can display the metadata on your own website if you wish. You would have to have your own Icecast2 server setup. The Python script takes the alpha tag info from the scanner and sends it to an Icecast2 server which sends the metadata to the listener along with the audio. If you have a personal feed/website it should work just fine. You just have to enter in the server info in the configuration area of the script and you're good to go.

I do this for my own personal feeds (that way I can listen across the house or with my phone when I'm not at home.) The audio player would also need to support showing metadata from the Icecast stream. There are lots of programs that do this such as Winamp and lots of apps for phones, etc.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help you get it working.
-Brandon
Old 08-25-2014, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello Brandon, thank you for the information and I'm sure I'll need some help getting it all set up. I have an older interface that I used for IRLP that will help with this. It will give me the power supply for the Pi and also an RS232 connection. What I am lacking and will need to find out what to get, is a USB wireless device for the Pi. This setup will be at a friend's house and wireless is my only way to get internet. He also is using WPA2 so not sure how much of a hassle that is going to be. Hopefully when it is all done I can use WinSCP to get into it when and if I need to, shouldn't need in much I hope.

Mick - W7CAT
Old 08-27-2014, 1:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question

Just wondering about hooking up a BCD996XT to a computer. I have read where the neither side of the speaker should be grounded (seems like a poor design for a mobile radio). It seems to me like connecting a RS232 cable to a computer along with an audio cable from the speaker jack of the BCD996XT to the computer input jack, would be grounding the one side of the speaker. Is my thinking wrong here?
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think it's possible to have grounding issues when the serial is connected. I've had some audio bleed through in the past from multiple scanners connected to a single computer or a Raspberry Pi. If it's only one scanner I think you will be fine. You can always try a ground isolator in the audio chain if you're having issues.

Tags
alpha tag, icecast, python, raspberry pi