Recording Playback, Logging, and Analysis Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
I've been working on this scanner recording logging and playback tool for a few weeks now. It started out as something I felt was lacking for analyzing and playing back recordings from Uniden BCDx36HP scanners.

At some point, at the request of users, I added the ability to do the same for Uniden HP-1 recordings.

Over the past week, I added GRE/Whistler capability to the tool so I and now moving this out from under any particular product line for those who might be interested.

Note: The GRE/Whistler EZ Scan application does a better job (in my opinion) on listing and playing back GRE/Whistler recordings (and certainly better than a Uniden playback tool - which doesn't exist). However, this tool adds a feature that allows you to perform analysis of radio identifiers. and other features like filtering/selection of specific dates, systems, talkgroups, sites, minimum length/duration, etc.

As a result of handling more than just BCDx36HP recordings and both Uniden and GRE/Whistler recordings, I have also renamed the tool ScanPlayLog and this is version 1.0

Feel free to give it a try. I'll certainly take feedback, bug reports, and feature requests.

For more details of the history of the previous versions, see:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...r-recording-header-decoded-playback-tool.html

Attachments

• ScanPlayLog.zip
    84.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Oh well on the recording of the generic wave files. But I like the program.

Now we need to help you on getting program ICON (LOL) for it. Do not we---LOL.

Again Thanks for all the hard work.

Take care

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Good work, Troymail !!! Very helpful in reviewing my recordings...

I am getting partial decoding of NACs and CTCSS tones. Will review a few of my long-duration recordings on the BCD536HP scanner to see if it decoded them.

3500+ recordings converted in 2.5 minutes, via WIN7 64-bit quad CPU laptop and latest Chrome browser.

troymail

Silent Key
Good work, Troymail !!! Very helpful in reviewing my recordings...

I am getting partial decoding of NACs and CTCSS tones. Will review a few of my long-duration recordings on the BCD536HP scanner to see if it decoded them.

3500+ recordings converted in 2.5 minutes, via WIN7 64-bit quad CPU laptop and latest Chrome browser.

:D

Something I wanted/needed and figured I'd share....

Dewey

Hi Troy,

Just some FYI notes on ScanPlayLog.

I noticed that I was having problems feeding my audio path to the app when I tried to include it in the shortcut on my XP laptop. I tried with both long file names enclosed in quotes, and the shorter DOS legal file names, but I had problems both ways when trying to add it to the short cut. I also had the same problems when I created a batch file containing the shortcut commands. Since I keep the app in the root "Audio" directory, I just included a space and two periods after the app path, but still inside the quotes, and wallah, I was in business where I didn't have to type in the recording path every time.

I also ran into one more issue. I processed 19,589 files, told the app to ignore recordings less than 1 second (I actually delete ALL recordings less than two seconds anytime I store recordings on the computer, so that is really moot), and to process radio IDs, all of prompts were left at their defaults. At 84%, I received a warning telling me that the statistics table was full, however, the app continued to 100% and completed the remaining recordings.

Just an FYI only. We're talking about a dual core T8100 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM machine running XP Pro.

troymail

Silent Key
Hi Troy,

Just some FYI notes on ScanPlayLog.

I noticed that I was having problems feeding my audio path to the app when I tried to include it in the shortcut on my XP laptop. I tried with both long file names enclosed in quotes, and the shorter DOS legal file names, but I had problems both ways when trying to add it to the short cut. I also had the same problems when I created a batch file containing the shortcut commands. Since I keep the app in the root "Audio" directory, I just included a space and two periods after the app path, but still inside the quotes, and wallah, I was in business where I didn't have to type in the recording path every time.

Can you give me a example of the path you are trying to provide - both one that fails and one that works?

I also ran into one more issue. I processed 19,589 files, told the app to ignore recordings less than 1 second (I actually delete ALL recordings less than two seconds anytime I store recordings on the computer, so that is really moot), and to process radio IDs, all of prompts were left at their defaults. At 84%, I received a warning telling me that the statistics table was full, however, the app continued to 100% and completed the remaining recordings.

Hmmmm.... 19k files... what in the world are you listening to? I'm running over nearly 500k files and don't see this... Can you zip up an output folder/files and send me a copy?

Dewey

Can you give me a example of the path you are trying to provide - both one that fails and one that works?

Here is what is not working for me:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\"

C:\DOCUME~1\DEWEY\MYDOCU~1\UNIDEN\AUDIO\SCANPL~1.EXE C:\DOCUME~1\DEWEY\MYDOCU~1\UNIDEN\AUDIO\

nor any combination of the two lines.

This is what I have to do to make the command work when included as part of the XP shortcut:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe .."

Typing this response just made me realize that the double-dot (..) means to go back one directory, it's the triple-dot that means the same directory. With that in mind, I will have to try
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\" (dropping the "Audio" directory) when I get home and see if that works since that is really what the double-dot is commanding.

Hmmmm.... 19k files... what in the world are you listening to? I'm running over nearly 500k files and don't see this... Can you zip up an output folder/files and send me a copy?

Will see about doing this when I get home today.

As always, THANKS for everything!

troymail

Silent Key
Here is what is not working for me:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\"

C:\DOCUME~1\DEWEY\MYDOCU~1\UNIDEN\AUDIO\SCANPL~1.EXE C:\DOCUME~1\DEWEY\MYDOCU~1\UNIDEN\AUDIO\

nor any combination of the two lines.

This is what I have to do to make the command work when included as part of the XP shortcut:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe .."

Typing this response just made me realize that the double-dot (..) means to go back one directory, it's the triple-dot that means the same directory. With that in mind, I will have to try
"C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\" (dropping the "Audio" directory) when I get home and see if that works since that is really what the double-dot is commanding.

Will see about doing this when I get home today.

As always, THANKS for everything!

I suspect that the spaces in the recording path are the problem. Inside your shortcut, try putting quotes around just the recording path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\Audio\scanplaylog.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Dewey\My Documents\Uniden\"

The same need exists if you were running from the command line.

Whenever I get around to a next release, I'll take a shot at fixing this so that the quotes aren't needed.

(BTW- the reason it works from higher level sub directories is the program does a recursive search down through all sub directories looking for recordings)

jeepers128

I used this handy little tool over the weekend and it worked well on my Win 7 laptop. I am now at work at wanted to run it on my work PC and it runs finds the files but it never writes a folder to my desktop. "Yes i am the administrator" Any suggestions?

troymail

Silent Key
I used this handy little tool over the weekend and it worked well on my Win 7 laptop. I am now at work at wanted to run it on my work PC and it runs finds the files but it never writes a folder to my desktop. "Yes i am the administrator" Any suggestions?

You don't need to be administrator.

Please advise what version of windows isn't working (Win 7? XP? etc,).

Also - please open a command window/DOS prompt and tell me the exact output from the command:

set HOME

jeepers128

Windows 7 isn't working on my work computer. It works on my windows 7 laptop.

HOMEDRIVE=H:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\lcmc02\users$\jeepers128

troymail

Silent Key
Windows 7 isn't working on my work computer. It works on my windows 7 laptop.

HOMEDRIVE=H:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\lcmc02\users$\jeepers128

Ah - ok. I never considered a network share as your home path / desktop.

Curious - does anything get created in h:\ ?

I'm guessing not....

So - what does the command prompt say your current path is when you simply open the window?

Mine says

C:\Users\troy>

jeepers128

Well I looked on my H: drive and there was a folder called desktop with all of the folders that I created. Thanks for the help.

troymail

Silent Key
Latest Quicktime problems....

I noticed after installing that latest Quicktime that the GRE (.AU) recordings no longer play in pretty much any browser.... well, actually...they do seem to play but there is no audio.

I poked around and apparently many users are reporting this problem and Apple/Quicktime is aware.... hopefully, we'll see a solution soon (or, if you haven't updated Quicktime - you might want to wait).

ve3hfq

No Playback Audio

I have this great program working just fine with the exception.... when I click in the "duration time" box it responds in blue when I click it but does not playback the audio clip.

Can somebody please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

thank you in advance

Paul

troymail

Silent Key
I have this great program working just fine with the exception.... when I click in the "duration time" box it responds in blue when I click it but does not playback the audio clip.

Can somebody please tell me what I may be doing wrong?

thank you in advance

Paul

The buttons are a really not buttons... just indicators. When present, you should be able to simply "hover" over them with your mouse and the audio should play.These are seen as part of the "simplified playback" option.

Have you tried the non-simplified playback (default) output from the program? This will create normal HTML links to the files for playing. Does that work for you?

I'm not sure what you mean by "responds in blue".

FWIW - I have noticed some browser issues on playback - particularly with the latest versions of Quicktime.

Can you tell me about your system (XP?, Win7? Win 8?) and recordings (HP-1?, HP-2? 436, 536, GRE?). How many recordings are you running against? How many systems did the report list and how many recordings are in the list you are trying to list\en to?

Status
Not open for further replies.