Audacity sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEOMANTRIC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm attempting to record using audacity, the only problem is on playback the sound quality is horrid. Like they are talking underwater. It took me friggin forever to get recording setup now the quality is crap. Any suggestions?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
What are you recording from? Microphone input, line input, USB input, or ?

If you are exporting to an MP3, what export settings are you using? MP3 export bit rate mode should be "constant," quality should be at least "128 kbps," and channel mode should be "stereo."

Can you upload a sample?

Last edited:

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
What are you recording from? Microphone input, line input, USB input, or ?

If you are exporting to an MP3, what export settings are you using? MP3 export bit rate mode should be "constant," quality should be at least "128 kbps," and channel mode should be "stereo."

Can you upload a sample?

I am recording straight from the scanner headphone jack to the line input, I haven't even got as far as exporting yet. Just getting horrible quality on playback so I wanted to figure that out first.
How do I go about uploading a sample ?

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Audacity has worked well for me. It's likely your sound card or your settings. If you're over-driving the input you'll get digital distortion that sounds like garbage.

I'm using Audacity with a TC Electronic Impact Twin and it sounds fine.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I am recording straight from the scanner headphone jack to the line input, I haven't even got as far as exporting yet. Just getting horrible quality on playback so I wanted to figure that out first.
How do I go about uploading a sample ?

The signal from the headphone jack is much stronger than a line-level signal, which can result in the distortion you're describing. Try turning the volume down on your scanner in increments and recording the signal until you get an acceptable-sounding recording. It may take some experimentation with the volume control to get it right.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
I'd like to get a sample up somehow, just don't know how. If it is indeed the soundcard, I'd like to know that because I only really use it for scanning, not sure if I can justify an upgrade just for this without even being sure.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
I got the distortion down, now I would just like to get rid of the white background noise or whatever you would call it.

BaofengScanner

Banned
I got the distortion down, now I would just like to get rid of the white background noise or whatever you would call it.

I went with a dedicated recorder solution. Bought a little olympus at walmart. Got the power adapter on it and have a 3.5mm cable between both jacks and just turn on the VOX so I get a single file without long silence and no worry of computer errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.