Setting up a second wired internet location in my house for my feed computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I feel like there is an obvious answer to this question, but I can’t figure it out so.. is there an easy way to set up two different wired internet connections in my house?
I have to have the wifi router and modem provided by AT&T in one room but I need the computer I use to broadcast my feed in a different room (due to where the antenna for my feed scanner is). For clarification, I had been using a set up where my feed computer was in the room with the router/modem but that caused very poor reception on one of the main channels on my feed since I couldn't have it connected to my discone antenna.
All of the phone jacks in my house are set up by AT&T for internet, but I don’t know if there is a way to use more than one of them at once for wired (ethernet) connections. I think I need a second modem but beyond this, I’m lost. Can anyone give thoughts on this? (I have already tried other options such as the power line adapters which do not provide a reliable signal)

Also, I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but it seemed the best one. Feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Thanks everyone!!

EDIT: For clarification and to simplify what I'm asking: I'm essentially looking for a way to have two wired ethernet connections in rooms on different ends of my house (one for router and one for my feed computer).

Last edited:

frazpo

I feel like there is an obvious answer to this question, but I can’t figure it out so.. is there an easy way to set up two different wired internet connections in my house?
I have to have the wifi router and modem provided by AT&T in one room but I need the computer I use to broadcast my feed in a different room (due to where the antenna for my feed scanner is). For clarification, I had been using a set up where my feed computer was in the room with the router/modem but that caused very poor reception on one of the main channels on my feed since I couldn't have it connected to my discone antenna.
All of the phone jacks in my house are set up by AT&T for internet, but I don’t know if there is a way to use more than one of them at once for wired (ethernet) connections. I think I need a second modem but beyond this, I’m lost. Can anyone give thoughts on this? (I have already tried other options such as the power line adapters which do not provide a reliable signal)

Also, I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but it seemed the best one. Feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Thanks everyone!!

You need a cheap Switch.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&sa=X&ei=WI_yVK2qI46ayASst4GoAQ&ved=0CIgBELkk

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber

Thanks but I don't think that is exactly what I'm looking for. From what I can tell, that just increases the number of ethernet ports that I could plug stuff into at my router but it doesn't seem that this product would allow me to have wired ethernet connections in two separate rooms on different sides of my house, which is essentially is what I'm trying to do here.

SCPD

QRT
You would have to talk to AT&T for a second internet connection and modem but be advised that you will probably will be paying twice your internet bill and both modems will be on different networks (the networks cannot communicate). I would look for a wireless gateway to put in your other room and have it connect to your WiFi network. What that does is provides you with a wired connection in your other room and they are all on the same network (thus you don't pay anything extra except for the gateway).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks but I don't think that is exactly what I'm looking for. From what I can tell, that just increases the number of ethernet ports that I could plug stuff into at my router but it doesn't seem that this product would allow me to have wired ethernet connections in two separate rooms on different sides of my house, which is essentially is what I'm trying to do here.
You could use a wireless access point device, such as this:
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WA801ND Wireless N300 2T2R Access Point, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater, 2x 4dBi, Passive POE: Computers & Accessories

That acts as a range extender, but also has an RJ45 Ethernet port to plug your feed pc into.

Or, a powerline extender such as this.
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps: Electronics

There are many other versions of both devices out there.

toastycookies

so are you saying you do not want to run an ethernet line to the other end of the house where the computer/scanner setup is?
or?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just ran about a 100 ft of Ethernet cable in the basement and hooked up the feed computer to it. Basically, Router>>>100 Ft cable>>>Feed Computer. IF you need more connections than the standard 4 on a router use a switch to add more. Nothing really hard about running cable.

Actually, I have 4 computers, a DVD player, a printer and other stuff all hooked up wired. But it takes a 4 port Router built on my Cable modem, a Cisco router a Linksys switch an lots a cable to do that.

Last edited:

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
I just ran about a 100 ft of Ethernet cable in the basement and hooked up the feed computer to it. Basically, Router>>>100 Ft cable>>>Feed Computer. IF you need more connections than the standard 4 on a router use a switch to add more. Nothing really hard about running cable.

Actually, I have 4 computers, a DVD player, a printer and other stuff all hooked up wired. But it takes a 4 port Router built on my Cable modem, a Cisco router a Linksys switch an lots a cable to do that.

Well thats the issue - Running cable. This is from the first floor (my dad's office) to the third floor finished attic. I've proposed the idea of running cable but he's not too keen on that... :(

jim202

Let's first discuss what the real IP connection problems are. If you need to have more than one computer active at the same time, you need to have a router between the cable feed and the computer. In some cases, the cable modem will have a router built in.

If your cable modem has a built in WIFI, then it should have a built in router. The next problem is to find out what the gateway IP address is. I don't like to run a free running system, but like static IP addresses. The downside to this is that you need to set up each computer with a static IP address and have to know what the gateway IP address is. You can let the system free run in a DHCP mode so the computer picks up it's IP address. Depends on how long of a time that the computer is shut off till you go to use it again. To speed up the process of logging onto the network is the reason I use the fixed IP addresses. Kind of a personal choice.

After you do all the addressing, you can use what ever number of IP addresses you might need. This would include any printers and paper scanners that might be hard wired to the network. Like in my house, I have some 10 different computers and a common shared printer all on the hard wired network.

Another point to consider with the hard wired CAT5 cables is what the network interface card (NIC) is in each of the devices. In my case I have a number of tower type computers and have updated the NIC devices in some of them to the 1 GHz. speed interface. This provides the fastest transfer of files between the computers and does allow some increase of speed on the link to the Internet outside your home. But that also depends on the speed your cable modem provides.

On the hard wired running of cables, it will depend on the age of the house as to how easy it can be. If you have a new construction house, there will be fire stops in the wall about half way up. If it's an older house, there will probably not be a fire stop in the wall from floor to the top sill at the ceiling.

I was able to get up in the attic and drill some holes in the top sill plate of the inside walls. Then take a long 5 foot drill and drill through the fire stop to be able to add an outlet box like an electrical outlet. Make sure your centered in the wall so you don't drill through the sheet rock and have to do a patch of the mess you just made. Push the snake down from the attic and tie the wire on and pull it up to the attic. Do the same in each of the locations you need to add an outlet. If you have a 2 story house, then it gets much harder. If you have a basement or crawl space on a single story house, by all means come up from below. Makes running the cables much easier.

If your adding multiple runs to several computers, it depends on the number of ports available from the cable modem. Some of them only provide one high speed port connection (RJ45) for your CAT5 cable. Others provide 4 ports. If you are unlucky and only have one port, you will need to add a high speed hub or switch. I would suggest going after a 1 GHz. speed hub to be able to utilize the max speed from the cable modem. They are not that expensive. Just use a short CAT5 cable between the cable modem and the hub. Then run your own CAT5 cable from the hub to each of the computers you need.

You can buy the CAT5 RJ45 connectors and a crimping too to make up your own cables. The wiring diagrams are available to download off the Internet. Now here is the secret to making your own cables. There is a style RJ45 connector that is called EZ. It allows the wires to be pushed all the way through the connector and stick out the other end. This way they are fast to make up and you can verify the different wire colored position before you crimp them. I have put hundreds of these connectors on the cables. They are even available from Amazon along with the crimper. The crimper has a blade that cuts off the wires when you crimp the connector.

I will also comment that the RJ45EZ connectors don't always lock into the sockets you are trying to use. If this is the case, take a metal file and file down the plastic lip on the end of the connector some where the wires are cut off. The issue is that the connector is not going in far enough to allow the small plastic lever latch to snap in. It's an easy fix, but a pain in the butt at times.

Hope this gives you some better understanding of the issues involved in making a hard wired network in your house of office.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.