Audio interface for multiple scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftyPotts

Hello Group,

I only have 3 scanners, plus a few other radios, mostly SDR, but will add more as time goes on. Also, new to using ProScan and will probably try streaming in the near future.

What kind of audio interface do you guys use that have a bunch of scanners? Not sure if I should be looking at USB soundcards, digital mixers or what. At the very least I want to add a bunch more audio inputs on my computer. I think I would prefer to control the audio with knobs and switches rather than software.

NOT interested in saving money. I want to spend the most I can to get the coolest interface I can find. lol.

Bob

majoco

Stirrer
I use a kitset mixer that has four stereo inputs so in theory I can use 8 inputs if I don't mind having one control for two inputs. Tone controls, variable head phone output as well as the main controlled output to a pair of computer speakers. Probably not available in the US but maybe on order from Australia.

4 Channel Versatile Mixer Kit | Audio | Electronic Project Kits | Kits, Science & Learning | PRODUCTS | KC5448 | Jaycar Electronics

....but then I see it says 'out of stock' - oh, well, I tried.

If I was going to buy a mixer, I would make sure it had stereo inputs and a balance control for each channel so that I could change the 'position' of each radio across the sound stage.

Sorry, I don't do streaming, I don't see the point and it's probably not legal here - the "Secrecy of Correspondence Act" and all that stuff.

ShiftyPotts

Thanks for the replies! I guess I went slightly overboard. I just ordered a couple of nice equipment racks from Nice-Racks.com, Mackie firewire mixer, Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 20 x 20 Firewire Audio Interface, patch bay, and a bunch of various cables, serial to USB interface, and some other stuff I can't remember. When I get it hooked up, I'll post a picture.

Bob

Colton25

Did you ever get this set up? I'm looking for a way to get multiple inputs for my computer.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I went slightly overboard. I just ordered a couple of nice equipment racks from Nice-Racks.com, Mackie firewire mixer, Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 20 x 20 Firewire Audio Interface, patch bay, and a bunch of various cables, serial to USB interface, and some other stuff I can't remember. When I get it hooked up, I'll post a picture.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShiftyPotts

8108510690a503429242a9f91443dcf5.jpg

3131f96fb3a6121bef01b5e5a7d2f810.jpg

Yes I did get this stuff set up. Then a month later I suffered a direct lightning strike. Took out my computer which I replaced. Paid $1,100 to have the hard drive salvaged. My job keeps me very busy in the summer, and I was so disgusted with the damage, that I haven't played with any of this stuff since then. After Christmas I'll get everything working again.

I think I was pretty happy with the Focusrite audio interface. The Mackie mixer seemed redundant so it's in storage. I wanted to do streaming audio but didn't get the job done. Now I will have to relearn everything I tried to figure out last spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

w5dac

Multple Tracks/Radios Recording

Shifty Potts,

Did you have a chance to get back up and running?

I was wondering if you were planning to record multiple scanner's audio as well?

I'm wanting to record multiple scanners, each scanner being locked down/dedicated to a particular conventional channel or talk group of a trunked system. I'll be purchasing a multi-channel USB interface (looking at the TASCAM 16x08). I don't really need to decode any data at present.

What would be great would be a visual display of activity in time, like watching multiple tracks on an app like Audacity, but I need a real time 'time' track as well. Haven't determined if I can record more than two tracks at a time with Audacity.

I tried the trial version of the NCH VRS software and it seems to work really well, but the cost is more than I was expecting to pay. If this was for commercial or government work, I might buy it though.

Currently playing with the ResponderApps 'RadioLog'.

w5dac - Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.