Recommendations for new feed computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Does anyone here have any recommendations for specs on a new computer that would be used for multiple scanner feeds and logging? Obviously it would need to be powered on 24/7, I have a computer already I'm just not sure how well it will operate with multiple feeds being broadcasted. I can imagine it's not best for the computer to be on all the time, but I know it has been done by many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitbr

Does anyone here have any recommendations for specs on a new computer that would be used for multiple scanner feeds and logging? Obviously it would need to be powered on 24/7, I have a computer already I'm just not sure how well it will operate with multiple feeds being broadcasted. I can imagine it's not best for the computer to be on all the time, but I know it has been done by many.

The limiting factor will be the sound card. How many feeds do you want to run on one PC?

Colton25

I'd say max 4, but that would be future. But if I use the usb do I still need to connect a aux cord?

mitbr

I'd say max 4, but that would be future. But if I use the usb do I still need to connect a aux cord?

Yes audio is not sent across usb from the scanner.
The max audio feeds at once that are supported is 2 on one audio card. That would mean you would have one on the left and one on the right of a stereo feed.

Colton25

So your saying you can't have more then 2 per computer?

flythunderbird

Feed Provider

Here's what I did:

My feeds run on an HP T5730 thin client. The T5730 has a 1 GHz AMD Sempron 2100 processor and 2 GB of memory. The OS is Windows XP, and my feed software is RadioFeed. The only logging I do is the RadioFeed source client logging. CPU utilization for my two feeds runs between 2% and 15%, so it should be able to handle four feeds just fine. The client runs 24/7, and it is automatically rebooted by a scheduled task once per week.

I chose the thin client because the processing power needed for a feed is relatively minimal and because the thin client, being fanless, consumes less than 20 watts of electricity as configured from the factory. The client originally came with a 1 GB flash memory hard drive; I removed it and slightly modified the client for a used 50 GB laptop hard drive. The hard drive bumps up power consumption only slightly.

The client runs two instances of RadioFeed, one for each feed.

The audio from the scanners is fed to the thin client through a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface. One interface can be used for two separate feeds because the interface has separate left-right channels. The feeds in my sig come from the 5730. I also use a compressor/limiter/gate on my feeds to help level the audio level, but that's just my preference.

The client has performed great for over a year now. I use Windows Remote Desktop to access the client's desktop whenever needed.

There are newer clients available used on eBay that have more processing power, but this one does great and is available rather cheap (less than $50 if you shop eBay carefully).

Searching these forums for thin client feed will turn up a number of helpful threads. :cool: Let me know if you have any questions!

Colton25

So basically one Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface can handle 2 separate scanner feeds, if i add a second interface i would be able to have 4 simotaneous scanner feeds is that correct?

Here's what I did:

My feeds run on an HP T5730 thin client. The T5730 has a 1 GHz AMD Sempron 2100 processor and 2 GB of memory. The OS is Windows XP, and my feed software is RadioFeed. The only logging I do is the RadioFeed source client logging. CPU utilization for my two feeds runs between 2% and 15%, so it should be able to handle four feeds just fine. The client runs 24/7, and it is automatically rebooted by a scheduled task once per week.

I chose the thin client because the processing power needed for a feed is relatively minimal and because the thin client, being fanless, consumes less than 20 watts of electricity as configured from the factory. The client originally came with a 1 GB flash memory hard drive; I removed it and slightly modified the client for a used 50 GB laptop hard drive. The hard drive bumps up power consumption only slightly.

The audio from the scanners is fed to the thin client through a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface. One interface can be used for two separate feeds because the interface has separate left-right channels. The feeds in my sig come from the 5730. I also use a compressor/limiter/gate on my feeds to help level the audio level, but that's just my preference.

The client has performed great for over a year now. I use Windows Remote Desktop to access the client's desktop whenever needed.

There are newer clients available used on eBay that have more processing power, but this one does great and is available rather cheap (less than $50 if you shop eBay carefully).

Searching these forums for thin client feed will turn up a number of helpful threads. :cool: Let me know if you have any questions!

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
So basically one Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface can handle 2 separate scanner feeds, if i add a second interface i would be able to have 4 simotaneous scanner feeds is that correct?

That is correct. The "catch," and it is a very minor one, with the Behringer interfaces is that once you install the software, you can't move them from one USB port to another without uninstalling and reinstalling the software; the software identifies the port the interface is on during installation and expects to see it on that port at all times.

This is generally not an issue as most people don't move the interface once it's installed and working, but I wanted to mention it (I found out the hard way).

Colton25

Ok thank you.

That is correct. The "catch," and it is a very minor one, with the Behringer interfaces is that once you install the software, you can't move them from one USB port to another without uninstalling and reinstalling the software; the software identifies the port the interface is on during installation and expects to see it on that port at all times.

This is generally not an issue as most people don't move the interface once it's installed and working, but I wanted to mention it (I found out the hard way).

Colton25

What is the compressor/limiter/gate used for? Also if I decided to pick one up what do you recommend?

Here's what I did:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
What is the compressor/limiter/gate used for? Also if I decided to pick one up what do you recommend?

The compressor/limiter/gate serves three functions:

1. The compressor reduces the dynamic range of the audio, i.e. the difference in volume between soft and loud, allowing you to have a louder volume for weaker audio signals while tamping down stronger signals. It smooths out the overall audio level, making it more consistent and more pleasant so the listener isn't constantly adjusting the volume level on the app they're using to listen to the stream.

2. The limiter puts a lid on how strong the audio signal can get - it "limits" the maximum signal strength. When adjusted properly, it helps prevent the signal from overpowering the stream and sounding buzzy or otherwise distorted.

3. The gate prevents unwanted noise from getting on the stream between conversations, such as amplifier hiss. It opens when someone is talking and closes when there is no conversation, making the feed quieter between conversations.

A compressor/limiter/gate isn't absolutely necessary for a feed, but I added one because my feeds have problems with some people having very soft voices and some people having very strong voices. The compressor levels it all out to a large extent, allowing me to run a higher overall audio level without overpowering the streams.

A compressor/limiter/gate works in this order:

Audio signal from scanner ---> Gate ---> Compressor ---> Limiter ---> audio signal into computer

There are software compressors available, including free ones. I tried a software compressor, but the thin client I use as the feed computer had trouble running it.

Compressors can be a real challenge to set correctly, so I would recommend using one only if necessary. When not set correctly, they can actually make your feed sound worse rather than better. I use a dbx 1066 that I bought secondhand. If you decide to go the hardware compressor route, PM me so we can talk about it.

This page from the wiki may prove helpful:

Managing Audio Dynamics and Leveling - The RadioReference Wiki

I neglected to mention that you can use an old laptop or netbook for feeds; I used a thin client because it was cheap and handy.

Last edited:

Colton25

Ok thanks for the info. I'm gonna buy that usb input I hope that works well.

Colton25

Do you have more then one thin client? I'm considering purchasing a thin client and I'm curious to know how I could manage more then one, and if I can run my thin client(s) with my daily computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It would be awesome if there was a program that would allow me to view all my computers and thin clients on one screen, something similar to a security camera display where you can view all the cameras in one screen and you can expand one to the whole screen if you need to.

Here's what I did:

Status
Not open for further replies.