Scanner vs. mobile for feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Does anyone have a personal opinion on wether using a scanner or 2-way mobile is better for broadcasting a feed? More specifically relating to audio, I use BCT15X and Kenwood Tk-7180 and i feel like the 7180 sounds better. But maybe that's just me, would it be a better idea to use a mobile rather then a scanner, (if you had the mobiles laying around)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Most single band two way radios will have a better receiver than what you'll find in a scanner. Better filtering, too.
If cost isn't an issue (and in some cases, you might find that used two way radios are cheaper), then I'd go with whatever you have and whatever sounds best.
Remember, of course, to program the channel(s) as receive only.

In our dispatch center, I replaced decades old scanners with some low end Icom VHF radios for local agency monitoring. Better audio made the dispatcher happier.

Colton25

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, you have any favorited as far as good audio goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Yes absolutely! Besides the aforementioned attributes scanners are plastic and let in a lot of hash from the feed computer.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, you have any favorited as far as good audio goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what you want to pay.

Kenwood is usually known for really good sound. A lot of that has to do with good speakers, but it's a good place to start. Interface depends on the model.

Motorola CDM's. You can pick up 4 channel CDM-750's for $100 or so, sometimes less if you don't need a microphone. "Flat Audio" output off the rear 20 pin connector. We are using CDM-1250's in our dispatch center right now as local agency receivers. There is also a guy on e-Bay (user name starts with MRE) that sells prebuilt connectors for these radios that will give you the flat audio output. On the other hand, rolling your own Motorola 16 pin connectors is really easy. Same guy on e-bay sells the shells and pins to roll your own.

Some of the older Icom's are pretty decent. I used some older Icom F-320s VHF 4 channel radios at work for a while. You can pick them up dirt cheap on e-bay. They only have a speaker level output off the back, but it's a standard 1/8" mono plug.

There are certainly others out there. Just about any narrow band capable radio will do what you need. It really doesn't take much to beat the audio/receiver quality of just about any consumer grade scanner.

Amateur radios might be an option if you find one that will do proper narrow band reception. Trouble is they go for ludicrous prices on e-Bay. Also, they usually only have a speaker level output on them.

Colton25

Lots of good info I appreciate it, on my 7180 I'm using the audio out mono, would the audio be better off the 20 pin be better?

Depends on what you want to pay.

Kenwood is usually known for really good sound. A lot of that has to do with good speakers, but it's a good place to start. Interface depends on the model.

Motorola CDM's. You can pick up 4 channel CDM-750's for $100 or so, sometimes less if you don't need a microphone. "Flat Audio" output off the rear 20 pin connector. We are using CDM-1250's in our dispatch center right now as local agency receivers. There is also a guy on e-Bay (user name starts with MRE) that sells prebuilt connectors for these radios that will give you the flat audio output. On the other hand, rolling your own Motorola 16 pin connectors is really easy. Same guy on e-bay sells the shells and pins to roll your own.

Some of the older Icom's are pretty decent. I used some older Icom F-320s VHF 4 channel radios at work for a while. You can pick them up dirt cheap on e-bay. They only have a speaker level output off the back, but it's a standard 1/8" mono plug.

There are certainly others out there. Just about any narrow band capable radio will do what you need. It really doesn't take much to beat the audio/receiver quality of just about any consumer grade scanner.

Amateur radios might be an option if you find one that will do proper narrow band reception. Trouble is they go for ludicrous prices on e-Bay. Also, they usually only have a speaker level output on them.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
The method of audio transmission is one of the most important aspects of providing a feed. Eliminating analog transmission, which is a great opportunity for noise and distortion, makes providing a quality stream easier and more reliable.

Some of the Uniden scanners have wireless communication of the audio. Software defined radio is also an option.

Of course, that benefit must be matched with reception and decode. A professional radio might out perform a scanner to the point it trumps the benefits of digital transfer.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Lots of good info I appreciate it, on my 7180 I'm using the audio out mono, would the audio be better off the 20 pin be better?

The 7180 has the DB-25 connector on the rear. Pin 7 is ground and pin 17 is RX audio. This would be a good line level audio output to use for feeding your computer.

It's similar to the "flat audio" output found on the Motorola's.

If you can track down a male DB25, you could build your own cable pretty easy.
Nice thing about using that output off the back of the 7180 is that it isn't affected by the volume control, so you can still use the speaker for local listening without messing with the audio stream feed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
25-pin D-sub ACC Connector Pin Assignment
"Pin number" "Signal name" "Input/ Output" "Description"
"1" "NC" "-" "No connection."
"2" RXD1" "Input" "Serial Data Input 1
"3" "TXD1" "Output" "Serial Data Output 1
"4" "AUX I/O 9" "Input/ Output" "Auxiliary I/O 9
"5" "DI" "Input" "Data Signal Input
"6" "MI2" "Input" "External Mic Input
"7" "GND" "-" "Ground"
"8" "AUX I/O 8" "Input/ Output" "AUX I/O 8"