Tips on using my PC as the feed computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Hey all,

I've successfully ran my feed for nearly 5 years now on an old Windows PC I did not use. A couple months ago, lightning hit my house and fried all of my computers/electronics (the 996XT somehow survived). I'm now only buying a single high end Windows 10 computer that will function as both my day-to-day web browsing/gaming computer as well as my feed server using ScannercastRR. My question is, does anyone else run their feed from their daily use computer? I know I can minimize the app to my system tray and assign audio inputs and outputs, but I still have the worry Scannercast may change inputs from the Mic input to whatever is playing on the output of my soundcard without me knowing. Are there any tips from anyone to keep things as automated and isolated as possible? Thanks in advance!

chaycock

I would have the same concern as you regarding the audio input, which is why I run it on a dedicated computer. You can probably pick up a very low end used computer for next to nothing, perhaps even at a pawn shop. Although I have not tried it, I hear there are also people out there running it on a Raspberry Pi. I believe there is a 'ready made' distribution that can be loaded on Pi that has all the feed software already configured.

rbm

You can stream as many feeds from one computer as you like. (as long as your computer can stand it. ;) )
I've streamed as many as 7 feeds from one computer.

The image below shows three feeds on one computer.
Install ScannerCast in multiple folders.
And run each instance from it's own folder.
ScannerCast remembers which audio source you selected for each.

I have eleven computers and all of them have multiple sound cards. No less than three per computer.
Plus, as many USB sound devices as I choose to use.
With the caveat that you don't use multiples of the SAME sound device. That can get confusing. ;)

Rich

Multiple feeds from one computer with several sound devices:
This computer IS my daily use computer and also it runs my home surveillance security system with sound alerts for motion, live audio from 15 security cameras, it plays YouTube videos, news videos, music, etc. etc., etc.
The only place you need to be careful is if you run DSD+. You MUST select the proper audio paths.

Last edited:

Rob1956

Feed Provider
Do some research on the cost of running a tower computer 24/7 per year. You might be surprised. I've invested in a little Asus notebook that has an SSD and a tiny power brick that consumes all of 5 watts of power to run my feeds. Cost is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.