Subscription Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdwilson

Feed Provider
"Everyone that provides a scanner feed receives:

* A RadioReference.com Premium Subscription (worth $30/year) "

I am sitting in the dark, on battery power, due to a power outage. My audio feed is down due to the lack of power and that has been noted on my account.

I decided it might be a good idea to download Oncor Energy's trunked system to find out about the outage. That's not possible due to my subscription status.

I have been a member and supporter of RR since it's inception and this situation really blows. I do not mind paying the membership fee and have done so since 2005...

Signing off now to preserve battery.

rdwilson

Feed Provider
Update

Power restored, audio feed back online, still expired.

I apologize for the rant but UPSs screaming in your ears will do that sometimes. It's a good thing that this happened and there was not a *real* emergency situation. This is how we discover weaknesses in our preparedness plans.

I am still a strong supported of RR and, in fact, it is featured on my web page which coincidentally, was the subject of last Sunday night's ARES training net. The page is intentionally very local in nature and only covers Collin County, Texas. It is a resource not only for the local hams but the area PSAPs use it as well. The URL is: W5TUX DFW Severe Weather

I hope the RR admins will take note and correct my account situation.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
collateral damage

"Everyone that provides a scanner feed receives:

* A RadioReference.com Premium Subscription (worth $30/year) "

I am sitting in the dark, on battery power, due to a power outage. My audio feed is down due to the lack of power and that has been noted on my account.

I decided it might be a good idea to download Oncor Energy's trunked system to find out about the outage. That's not possible due to my subscription status.

I have been a member and supporter of RR since it's inception and this situation really blows. I do not mind paying the membership fee and have done so since 2005...

Signing off now to preserve battery.

This is one of the things I objected to about the REAL TIME feed being OFFLINE and losing access. However, I do see their point about folks putting a feed up to GAIN access then dropping the feed for weeks on end. I had both my feeds down and my status reverted to EXPIRES 5/1/2010 which is when my current PAID access ends. I wonder if us multiple feed people have to have all the feeds online???? I sometimes take my less used feed OFFLINE to use the scanner to search as we have 2 new SAFE-T towers coming online sometime soon. This is an example of a few suffering for the abuses of others.

KC9LVX
BCD996T, BCD996XT, ICOM's 746, (2) 208H's, V82, U82, and a V8
Evansville, IN and Henderson, KY feed

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is why I have the local power company here (Progress Energy) already stored in my scanner for use during power outages.
Both GRE & Uniden scanners have enough memory to store local utility companies with the option to keep them locked out most of the time.
I guess the lesson learned here (hopefully) is plan ahead so you don't
end up in a situation where you are scrambling trying to program stuff in
at the last moment.

I hope the RR admins will take note and correct my account situation.

You are showing up as a Feed Provider, which is a premium acct.
What more could be done to "correct the account situation"?
Marshall KE4ZNR

rdwilson

Feed Provider
This is why I have the local power company here (Progress Energy) already stored in my scanner for use during power outages.
Both GRE & Uniden scanners have enough memory to store local utility companies with the option to keep them locked out most of the time.
I guess the lesson learned here (hopefully) is plan ahead so you don't
end up in a situation where you are scrambling trying to program stuff in
at the last moment.

You are showing up as a Feed Provider, which is a premium acct.
What more could be done to "correct the account situation"?
Marshall KE4ZNR

The frequencies are indeed stored in my 996 which is in the car / go kit. It is accessible by crawling over my wife's car, releasing the garage door and lifting it up manually. I would have done this if the situation demanded it. They are not programmed into my 396 which is what I was attempting to do. The portable is more of a convenience than a mainstay. But that's not really the point of my post and somewhat off-topic.

In response to the "correcting my account", this refers to access to the database which I currently do not have. As I quoted in my first post, Feed Providers are promised this access.

My feed has not been offline except for a few rare occasions and it is running on a dedicated PC to insure uptime. I am holding up my end of the bargain, have been a member for almost 8 years (paid premium since the program began). I don't think it is too much to ask that RR hold up their end.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am holding up my end of the bargain, have been a member for almost 8 years (paid premium since the program began). I don't think it is too much to ask that RR hold up their end.

As one who listens to a variety of feeds here at RR.com I want to thank you for providing your feed :)

I just don't understand where RR.com failed to "hold up their end of the deal".

But thanks again for providing your feed!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
You have a premium subcription(as promised) as long as your feed is online. Please explain to us what you mean you dont have access to the database. Thanks.

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

Which program are you using to access the database and download the info with?? I tried FreeScan earlier today to get some info to update my 396 and it kept giving me a server error. Actually just about to post about the problem myself when i came back on here and saw your posts.

I think its a server problem more than an individual account problem.

rdwilson

Feed Provider
ARC 396. I think you are right. There was most likely a server issue. It is fine now but was not OK for over an hour even though my feed was back up.

My sincerest apologies.

If I re-subscribe and upgrade to a paid premium subscription will access be independent of the feed?

I don't mind paying or providing a feed (It's a service to the community). The $30 fee is very reasonable.

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
ARC 396. I think you are right. There was most likely a server issue. It is fine now but was not OK for over an hour even though my feed was back up.

My sincerest apologies.

If I re-subscribe and upgrade to a paid premium subscription will access be independent of the feed?

I don't mind paying or providing a feed (It's a service to the community). The $30 fee is very reasonable.

You can be a paid subscriber and you will have 24/7 premium. Just when you have your feed online it will say "Feed provider- Premium" but when your feed is offline it will say "paid subscriber".

ke4wkp

Maybe if there was somewhere around a 6-24hr buffer in case of power outage or computer problems. Then if it has not been corrected in that amount of time you will lose premium access until the feed is brought back online. Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.