RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > System-wide Administration

System-wide Administration Support for issues related to subscriptions, server connectivity and commentary, and layout usability. Area specific content should be posted to its applicable forum above.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorange View Post
I've been a Chrome user since it was released, and never saw this warning when visiting RR, ever. It seems more than coincidental that it appeared right after the forums outage.
I agree. I use Google Chrome as my main browser and have never seen that warning pop up on my putter. I just went to Google search engine and typed in Radio Reference and clicked on the first link . It fired me off directly to RR homepage no problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 3:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thank goodness it's not affecting the Cellphone viewing an posting side that's how i'm visiting the Site..
Old 02-26-2013, 4:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

It's Looking again: Thanks Mr. B and No more ad's well except for 1 I got adblock Plus in place and it's doing the Job Ra

Last edited by bear780ks; 02-26-2013 at 4:16 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 4:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
kinda funny watching all these windoze users go in panic mode....
Yeah, real funny when it's your work computer that is windows and it gets infected. Not so much an issue at home where I control the OS.
Old 02-26-2013, 5:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, FWIW, I had a problem with the entire site yesterday. It was completely blocked by some type of Google (so called) safety thing. Because I have a very good firewall and anti-virus, I chose to ignore the blocking, but when I did, the site just didn't work right.

Today, it seems to be working as it normally does.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IBC View Post
kinda funny watching all these windoze users go in panic mode....
I panicked in fact to be truthful I freaked out when the red warning thing appeared. I am using a Mac with Safari and thought I had infected it.

If I was a Windows user I would surely have gone into panic mode.
Old 02-26-2013, 6:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I had this screen most of the day... but all is well now!
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 7:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
I've seen similar threads on other VBBoards recently. It's always the Chrome and FF users screaming, yet nothing significant is ever found except a bad ad or two.

Some sites get upset if you discuss how to protect yourself against those.

I don't use Chrome. I don't use FF. I take other precautions. I don't see the warnings, valid or not.

I use gfi;s VIPRE A/V. it will not let anything get by. I cleared the risks and went into RR any way. i looked at the risks again there were 26. cleared them again went back to RR and again there 24. no problem with my puder. I would not be without VIPRE same as a seat belt.

K3CFC
This message is hidden because n9mxq is on your ignore list.
Old 02-26-2013, 9:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
We had some malicious Javascript inserted into a few components of the site starting at about 3:00 PM yesterday.
Thanks for letting us know. But I want to take a moment to point out to all that this is why you should NOT jump to the conclusion that a warning you receive is a false positive. In this case it was a real positive, contrary to some earlier posts blaming various sources for false positives.

Lindsay, was the threat trying to exploit the recent Java vulnerability? I have seen news reports that several major companies have been hit and had disabled Java. As soon as I saw RR trying to load Java content, I figured something was wrong.

I realize that most users don't follow the daily security issues in computing, but for those who do not know, US-CERT (part of DHS) recommends disabling Java in your browser unless you have a specific requirement for it. Note that this does not disable JavaScript, which is unrelated (unfortunate naming similarity).
See Java is not JavaScript – tell your friends! | Naked Security for more details.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 9:39 PM

I got warnings too , on log on using chrome.. thanks ...73,S
Old 02-26-2013, 9:42 PM

Another reference to US-CERT, some one pays attention .... seems to be working fine now, going to re-load the web players on my sites, when I took those offline last night, i noticed the warnings drop on my domains.

Funny watching the drama ..... better than a good round of BO2!
Old 02-26-2013, 9:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thunder knight the ( Java ) that is in Question is by Chance Java 7 Update 15 if so i have been updating and using this for the Last 6 years i also use Adobe Flash, Adobe Air , And Adobe Shockwave and they all have been updated Just Lately.. Ra
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Why was the false positive story kept going for so long? Everyone else realized it was not a false alert but still we are told it was a false and all googles fault when it turned out to be a real alert and not googles fault at all. Hell if google had not started alerting people how many would be infected now or how long would it have gone on for?
Old 02-27-2013, 1:13 AM

Default Its sad people have to try and hurt others sites...... Im glad it was cleared up!

Old 02-27-2013, 1:26 AM

I got an AVG alert about an exploit or malicious website when I searched aol/google's search engine and followed a link to 2 RR webpages just a few hours ago. I thought that was wierd until I found these posts. That is the very first time AVG has done anything for me in about a year. So whatever it is, it is still lingering around and definately not gone and I do not believe it is a false positive.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:30 AM

Yes people have nothing better to do than hurt other people! (Or try to)

Its a very sad state of affairs!
Old 02-27-2013, 8:21 AM

Default still receiving the malicious report from Chrome

Received report yesterday then it disappeared as you mentioned. Now it is back this morning.
Old 02-27-2013, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujinkan View Post
Yeah, real funny when it's your work computer that is windows and it gets infected. Not so much an issue at home where I control the OS.
I think your boss is standing behind you while you are surfing the web at work.. I see him
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM

All is well here.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstar22 View Post
Why was the false positive story kept going for so long? Everyone else realized it was not a false alert but still we are told it was a false and all googles fault when it turned out to be a real alert and not googles fault at all. Hell if google had not started alerting people how many would be infected now or how long would it have gone on for?
I believe the Radio Reference web team knew the whole problem rather quickly and was on top of it just as quick, When I noticed the warnings and had jumped over to RR there were already several posts (And as Wayne stated; several threads - didn't take the time to search for them Wayne, sorry) But because (IMO) the web dev team here is small (compared to Google, yahoo or Intel) they were busy addressing the problem rather than letting us in on the step by step fix process. I know these guys take both the site and the members serious, but its not like RR has a full time dedicated PR rep to calm our fears every other post. I have to praise the work of the development team at such as swift resolve (Good work guys) Maybe one day RR will have a full time PR moderator, then again, lets just hope something of this magnitude doesn't happen again and a PR position isn't needed.
Closed Thread