RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > System-wide Administration

System-wide Administration Support for issues related to subscriptions, server connectivity and commentary, and layout usability. Area specific content should be posted to its applicable forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 1:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Renewing requires PayPal?

I already have an account and have received a renewal notice... however when I try to renew it I am sent to open a paypal account???? I do not have a paypal account and nor do I want one (security reasons) and I have searched and sent a question in on why Im not able to just renew my account with a credit card. Something's wrong here as I do enjoy this site and wish to continue with it as it is very informative.... but why do I have to have to start a paypal account?????
Sponsored links

Old 03-26-2014, 1:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't understand why people are still so afraid of Paypal. It's one of the most secure things out there.
Old 03-26-2014, 1:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6BRW View Post
I already have an account and have received a renewal notice... however when I try to renew it I am sent to open a paypal account???? I do not have a paypal account and nor do I want one (security reasons) and I have searched and sent a question in on why Im not able to just renew my account with a credit card. Something's wrong here as I do enjoy this site and wish to continue with it as it is very informative.... but why do I have to have to start a paypal account?????
You don't, You can also use ScannerMaster.
It's listed here, so scroll down.
Electronic Books for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com
Old 03-26-2014, 3:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well Dave, if an internet search for "problems with PayPal" is done it pretty much explains why I "prefer" to not use it.
Ronnie, Once again I will need to apply for an account with ScannerMaster and I really don't need yet another acct.
I thank all those trying to help me but I don't need to be spreading my personal information all around when I already have an acct with Radio Reference and only want to renew not start a new acct. all of those logins and passwords and potential for increased access to private info is not needed.
and just curious on how I have had an acct on here without having either of the above accts set up, I even tried to access a PayPal acct with my email and password and asked for that info as I can't remember it and it comes back that there is no such acct.......
Remember this isn't a pissing match but trying to understand and "Renew" my acct.
Thanks to all
Old 03-26-2014, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I don't understand why people are still so afraid of Paypal...
If I recall the news stories correctly, it's because they have been hacked successfully several times, which left customers to struggle with subsequent ID theft.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Guess I haven't seen those "news" reports. Nor have I been hacked in the several years that I've been a customer.

YMMV, I guess.
Old 03-27-2014, 5:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Guess I haven't seen those "news" reports. Nor have I been hacked in the several years that I've been a customer.

YMMV, I guess.
It's good you haven't. I have a relative who had to deal with ID theft secondary to a PayPal/EBay breach. Compared to the total number of users of those systems, the ID theft count might be "low". Compared to the headache of ID Theft, once may be more than some people want to deal with.

I agree, YMMV.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Another possibility is that you can download and print off the renewal forms and then mail them in with a personal check. There will of course be a delay for the check to clear but it works.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:
I don't understand why people are still so afraid of Paypal. It's one of the most secure things out there.
A Google search shows many YouTube 'hacks' on paypal and I have friends who have foolishly replied to phising messages that purport to be from paypal.
Sponsored links
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 PM

The screen I was just taken to gives me the option to either log in with my paypal account or pay as a guest and register later.

I have had a paypal account for many years and have had no problems. I do have it tied to its own checking account though so it does not have access to my main account, but I have never had any issues. There have been times that I have opted to "pay as a guest" and not log in and pay with my paypal account for some transactions. I believe paypal does process those transactions, but I never had to actually log in and use my paypal account. So that is an option I believe.

Pam
Old 04-02-2014, 1:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lep View Post
A Google search shows many YouTube 'hacks' on paypal and I have friends who have foolishly replied to phising messages that purport to be from paypal.
Well, everything is dangerous if you don't protect yourself.
Old 04-02-2014, 1:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I sure hope PayPal is NOT required. I won't use it or anything related to eBay. I've been sending checks (anyone remember what they are?) annually for a decade, or more, to this address:

RadioReference.com LLC
1150 N Loop 1604 W
Suite 108-556
San Antonio, TX 78248

This address is still found on this site for signing up to Premium Services....
Ham Radio Since 1975 - VE for ARRL, W5YI & WCARS - GROL
Old 04-02-2014, 3:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

you can go to scannermaster
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Not Posting

Lightbulb

Quote:
I have to agree. PayPal is also over rated. Plus to those who 'haven't' been hacked...cybercriminals have people in a database waiting on the right moment. From reading various security related resources, PayPal registrants have been stolen in the thousands even millions so do not count yourself out. Some naughty villain may have your full info. As a matter of fact banks have this issue as well. Why? To a cyber thief its easier than robbing a bank at gun point. This is also why I do not use PayPal.

VE6, I totally understand not seeing the need to make accounts all over the place. It really is risky providing personal information over the web. People seem to forget the fact we do not know what we are walking into. Those that do not care are bound to get hacked one day.
Old 04-03-2014, 5:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I use paypal to buy things online. I never use a credit card with paypal I add money using Green Dot MoneyPak and pay for my things this way. This is the way I renew my RR account membership.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2014, 7:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by al95 View Post
I use paypal to buy things online. I never use a credit card with paypal I add money using Green Dot MoneyPak and pay for my things this way. This is the way I renew my RR account membership.
I agree if you don't feel safe in doing transactions with your personal info then Greendot and other Pre paid methods are another way.
Old 04-14-2014, 9:18 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My employer pays for our premium subscription. I don't think they have paypal, and getting a check from them takes a fair amount of red tape.
Hopefully I can make something happen.
Old 04-14-2014, 9:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy64 View Post
My employer pays for our premium subscription. I don't think they have paypal, and getting a check from them takes a fair amount of red tape.
Hopefully I can make something happen.
As mentioned in other posts, you can use ScannerMaster's site to pay by credit card (without PayPal) .

Hope this helps,
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Just google "paypal horror stories" and you will see. Someone hacked my paypal account and charged a $377 ipad mini to my account. I got the money back within a week but then paypal started calling me demanding I reimburse them ......it was a horror story that lasted a year. I finally quit hearing from them. Never again will I use paypal- paypal is nobodies pal